Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Chinese Coins II: Inner Border

One of the issues with waiting a while to take the next step is that you become accustomed to the {unfinished} look. It happens with houses as well as quilts. I've dawdled so long that I started to think this quilt needed dark on the outside. Not what I wanted.

So I finally started making an inner border for Chinese Coins II using hourglass instructions from Cultural Fusion Quilts by Sujata Shah. I cut my squares a bit smaller though. Even at this stage they lighten this quilt beautifully.

Chinese Coin units set vertically with wide sashing and star posts.
Adding an hourglass border
to Chinese Coins II

The next big surprise is how much fabric it takes. I rarely have large amounts of any fabric but cutting five or six-inch squares uses it up quickly. Consequently, almost every side is composed of different fabrics.

After trimming a few squares I realized only the height needs consistency. The width can be anything. So I started trimming one direction 4.5" but kept as much as possible in the other. Don't get excited; at most this is a quarter-inch. Every little bit helps.

Sujata recently posted photos from a class where many students used the same simple hourglass shape in their medallions. Take a look here.

Enjoy the day,  Ann

22 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

The hourglass border adds so much! And I like the variety of fabrics very much. Thanks for including the link to Sujata's post.

patty a. said...

The variation in the fabrics will make the look of this piece. After all the coins are a multitude of different fabrics. I do like the look of this latest border.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I like it! This quilt just gets more and more fun!

Ann said...

I enjoy seeing how other people use the same pattern. And Sujata had several on one post. Fun to compare and think.

Ann said...

Good points, Patty. This round has lightened the quilt considerably.

Ann said...

Thanks, Karen. I'm enjoying the process, too.

Nifty Quilts said...

This quilt just gets better and better! I always love your way of using what you have, making a wonderful mix of fabrics.

audrey said...

I didn't realize you were putting a border on this one! This border is a wonderful touch. I was just just thinking of Sujata's hourglass process the other day! Love how this wonky border gives even more depth to your quilt.:)

Ann said...

How kind of you, LeeAnn. I think many people have their own style so fabrics from their stash go well together. Yours always look so wonderful.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love your latest border! I think the scrappy light pinks are so effective!

Mel Beach said...

Very cool border design Ann!! Really draws out the pinks and greens!!

Mary Marcotte said...

It's amazing how much the hourglass round makes the rest of the quilt sparkle. I'm looking forward to the seeing how the quilt changes as you continue.

Julie said...

Wow, those stars just POP. Looking so good with all that colour.

margaret said...

this has come together so very well what a great quilt you are going to have when completed

Ann said...

Sujata's method makes this an easy wonky border. It seems to work with the freehand cuts of the Coins.

Ann said...

Thanks, Linda. You and I are using lots of spring and early summer colors. It's one of the reasons I like your progress.

Ann said...

Thanks, Mel. I was trying to lighten up the border and noticed these colors are in the light Coins. Plus, I had just enough of these to make the sides.

Ann said...

I really like Sujata's method for hourglass. It looks so handmade. Thanks for the compliments, Mary. Stay safe through the rains and floods.

Ann said...

You're right, Julie. I hadn't realized how much this border affects the stars.

Ann said...

How kind of you, Margaret. It's not turning out like the original quilt that inspired me but I'm liking this more every time I work on it.

Kaja said...

Every time I see this I like it more. I like, too, that your additions always surprise me just a little bit; I love a touch of the unexpected. I've left houses too long too - then I come to sell, do the work and wish I had done it years earlier.

Ann said...

Your quilts surprise me, too. It's always a treat to watch you pull them together.
I have no idea why we leave home improvements unfinished till selling. Who deserves it more?