Saturday, August 19, 2017

Field of Dreams

OK, a field of someone else's dreams. It's still a blast.

After a rough start, the Phillies ballplayers are coming together nicely. A couple of adjustments made the piecing easier. I straightened the curve on the glove and sewed the belt before cutting the shirt. I also thickened the ankles of the high tops. The casually pieced stick figure style amuses me although making raglan sleeves made this block a bit more complicated. But baseball means raglans and inset seams don't bother me.

They are large blocks with oddly shaped pieces so I'm cutting and sewing one at a time. Each block takes about a day but only nine are needed.

Phillies baseball players in pinstripes
Phillies ballplayers

Five blocks finished. I'm over halfway. And I'm making right-handed players now! {It was easier on my mind to sew the lefties first then the righties.}

Philadelphia's colors are red, white, and blue. I'd like to sash with red or blue but the feet and cap may become lost. The first four fabrics came from my stash but I purchased the two on the right to finish round it out.



Tuesday is our next AHIQ linkup where we'll be sharing where we are with letters on quilts. Have you got any new ideas?

Enjoy the day, Ann

28 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh neat blocks--we re H U G E RED SOX fans here in CT...we watch baseball every night almost...I use that time to handquilt a lot or knit (whenever my arthritic fingers allow...ugh!)
I LOVE your Field of Dreams--great work hugs, Julierose

Ariane said...

Oh my goodness! These are adorable blocks! Love them!!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

These are such cute blocks--worth all the time consuming labor! I'm looking forward to seeing the completed quilt!

KaHolly said...

Wow! These blocks look like a labor of love!

Robin said...

This is coming along great! What a fun block and to think you're going to all that work for a rival team - ha!

abelian said...

Love those raglan sleeves, and the diagonal seam on the pants.

beth s said...

WOW! :o Love these blocks!

Janie said...

Great work, Ann, design as you go!

Monica said...

Your Phillies look awesome! This will be so fun. The red & blue fabrics look great together, too!

Mystic Quilter said...

How large are the blocks Ann?

patty a. said...

The ball player blocks are coming out great! This is going to be one fun quilt.

Ann said...

There are times I prefer to watch the games on TV, mainly because I can sew while it's on, but we love to attend in person. Even when they lose as often as they do this season. Red Sox. Fenway Park is a treat.
Thanks, Julie.

Ann said...

Thanks, Ariane. I'm having fun.

Ann said...

Thanks, Karen. They aren't that hard to make although if they were straighter, more like Farmer Fill, they'd be super simple. I hope the recipient likes them as much as I do.

Ann said...

I'm having the best time working out this block. Extra large and chugging along.

Ann said...

Working on these has been incredibly fun. I have ideas for a Giants quilt now. And I intend to sneak something Giant onto his quilt. Bwahaha.

Ann said...

Thanks. The diagonal on the pants was just easier. The raglans seemed more appropriate especially since the pinstripe highlights that seam.

Ann said...

Thanks, Beth. Freddy's Farmer Fill inspired me to make these.

Ann said...

Haha. Like QAYG. I'm so glad I simplified it even more. Keep reminding myself these are stick figures and supposed to be casual.

Ann said...

Thanks, Monica. I'm not always a red/white/blue fan but these do work well together. I'm glad I bought the newer pieces and hope to use all of them up with this quilt.

Ann said...

I forgot to mention. They are 16x18". Really large, but I only wanted nine and also want a lap/twin quilt for a tall man. From the graph pattern I showed last time, you could enlarge them to any size.

Ann said...

Thanks Patty. I hope he likes it; I'm having fun every day. Even my husband has lots of pointers - mainly about baseball. So it intrigues him, too.

Nifty Quilts said...

Those baseball players are so much fun!!

Mel Beach said...

Ahhhh...catching up and just amazed that these are original block designs that you are piecing on your own and getting fabulous results. I am just in awe!!

fernroycequilting said...

Sorry to be so late to the game :-) I love your ballplayers!! Both the diagonal seams on the pants and the raglan sleeves are brilliant! Farmer Fill goes to the big leagues!!

Ann said...

Thanks, LeeAnn. Over the years I've admired several stick figure quilts especially some where they hold hands from block to block. I'm enjoying working these out.

Ann said...

I'm just catching up on comments I missed. Sorry, Mel.
These are just fun. Your work is awesome.

Ann said...

Sorry. I didn't see these comments till now. Thanks for noticing the details.
The big leagues. You are too funny!
I hear you're coming to our guild in 2018. See you then.