Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Quilting TATW

Trip Around the World quilts are simply grids - like those we can mark for fancy quilting. At two-inches, they are just a bit larger than usual. So I decided to quilt orange peel on this one. I don't have to mark, it's a change from the diagonal grid I often use, and I want to see what it looks like at this scale.

Gentle curves with walking foot create Orange Peel design

I used the regular straight stitch with a walking foot and turned on the half-speed button. I'm a pedal-to-the-metal kinda gal. Actually I turned it on by accident and found it really helped the curves. Starting at a four-corner intersection, I angled the foot left while counting to two slowly, then center for another two, then right for two back to the next intersection. {That's lots more than two stitches. It just helped me keep a symmetrical arc.)

Once the serpentines were completed in one direction, I rotated the quilt ninety degrees and sewed the same curves on the other side of the blocks.

Quilting curves on all sides to finish the squares

They are not perfect but they are improving. Another nice surprise is how quickly this top becomes a quilt. Since I mostly make large quilts, it's a pleasant change to imagine a finish in the next few days.

If  you want more walking foot quilting ideas from an approachable, enthusiastic teacher check out Mel Beach at Piece, Love & Happiness. She always has a new tidbit to share.

Enjoy the day, Ann

8 comments:

9658 Textiles said...

oooh! thank you for the explanation on the quilting! I find it so hard to explain my process, I am now inspired to try more because if I enjoy it maybe other people will too!

Ann said...

I'm glad you understood it. Sometimes I think I should make a little video under the 'picture is worth a thousand words' schemata. Thanks for writing.

Mel Beach said...

Pieced grids are perfect for Orange Peel. But all that twisting and turning can be rough on your wrists so be sure to take breaks!!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Looks effective on your TAtW quilt, I'm tempted to give this a try sometime.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

What a great way to quilt this type of quilt. Love it!

Ann said...

Oops, I forgot to mention that. {And my shoulders were sore afterwards.} I added a link to your blog so readers can find more of your quilting ideas and helpful suggestions. Thanks, Mel!

Ann said...

Counting helped me keep the arcs more symmetrical. Mel is right. You need to take frequent breaks. After a while it feels like driving bumper cars at the Midway.

Ann said...

Thanks. It makes a nice change, doesn't it?