Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving

I hope you're enjoying some turkey and family time this weekend. We're celebrating with our usual "Waltz Across Texas" to visit lots of family. So fun to catch up and see what's new at their houses.

The US has the latest Thanksgiving day. I wish ours coincided with Canada's. Friendlier, more uniform and perhaps we wouldn't feels so rushed. Kaja and I have discussed Christmas preparations for a while. We both like desserts; mince and Christmas cakes are her favorites while sweet potato and quince pies are mine. However, cornbread dressing is my absolutely favorite item. We serve it at both Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Despite dressing being a national dish {if America can ever be said to have one} recipes vary wildly from one region to the next: white or yellow cornbread, white bread, wild rice. People can get into heated arguments which is best. Like O. Henry's story, A Cosmopolitan in a Cafe, we're very worldly until dressing is on the table. I prefer yellow cornbread with sausage, mushrooms, and apples - so much so that I don't even serve potatoes until leftovers roll around so there's more room for dressing.


Double Vision - Circular Anomaly
Here are the pinks I pulled for Circular Anomaly, the quilt I started in Louisa Smith's class last month. I folded fabrics into smaller squares to see what they look like...

Pink and red fabric hugs and kisses on Circular Anomaly quilts. Double Vision quilts
Foreground fabrics chosen for Circular Anomaly

and then cut many of them into kisses rather than hugs. Now that most are cut I moved the rest to the side so I can plan the intersection of these x's and o's.

Pink and red fabric hugs and kisses on Circular Anomaly quilts. Double Vision quilts.
Continuing foreground placement of Circular Anomaly

In the top left, one background blue has a large pink rose. Do you think it looks better with hugs or kisses?
Hugs or kisses for Circular Anomaly quilt block. Double Vision quilt.
Should the foreground of this block be hugs or kisses?

Wherever you are I hope you spend some time with family and friends - in person or by phone. Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

Enjoy the day, Ann

28 comments:

Mel Beach said...

Now that all the value & color has been assigned, let the real fun begin! And since you asked, the kisses show off more of that lovely rose print!! But that is just based on the close up shots and not necessarily the overall effect.

LA Paylor said...

fondly remember cornbread dressing. Then became allergic to corn, corn starch, corn syrup. Enjoy it for me! How nice to have family around you to love. Thankful for you.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I prefer the kisses with the rose. I agree about the dates for Thanksgiving between Canada and the US - it would definitely be friendlier. As far as stuffing wars - I grew up in one state, DH grew up in another, and now we live in yet another region of the US - ALL with different perspectives on the topic. And how passionate some folks really are on the topic!

Angie in SoCal said...

Kisses - what a great art quilt your layouts would make. Happy Thanksgiving.

Janie said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!
The colors in your Circular Anomaly are some of my favorites, of course
I love color in general and the more the merrier.
Your quilt is looking good.

patty a. said...

Happy Thanksgiving! My son is suppose to get the keys to the house he bought on Thanksgiving - I have no idea who picked that date! - so I may be spending my time off work helping him move. I am a person that does not like dressing. I know I am strange.

Robin said...

I probably like the floral square with the "X" because it matches the other similar fabric. Your cornbread dressing sounds yummy. You'll have to post a recipe. I like your idea of leaving the potatoes out of the mix entirely so there's more room for stuffing/dressing. We do sage stuffing around here, made with homemade white bread.

Ann said...

I like the rose better with kisses, too. Placing all these fabrics is a challenge.

Ann said...

Sorry about your allergies and even more, that you miss family. I know I’m very lucky..

Ann said...

I like the rose better with kisses, too. I’m so glad someone else agrees with me about our Thanksgiving date.
Stuffing wars. How true!

Ann said...

Louisa’s version is an art quilt. Mine might be but most likely a toddler or lap quilt. We’ll see.

Ann said...

Then we like many of the same colors, Janie.i agree: the more the merrier.

Ann said...

This will be a u inquest Thanksgiving for you all. It will make a wonderful family story; ours are all embellished upon a single event.
Since you don’t like dressing, there will be more for me and the others who do!

Ann said...

It’s u animus so far; everyone likes the x better. We put sage in our cornbread dressing, too. Happy Thanksgiving!

Monica said...

Well, I definitely think that's a kisses square. It's nice to see the rose! I think that transition row is going to be a challenge. But in the meantime, Happy Thanksgiving!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes, I too love the 'kisses' version, you can see more of the pretty rose floral. Here in NZ, not many celebrate Thanksgiving, so I'm not aware of the stufffing wars! So do you all do this all - turkey etc- over again for Xmas too? (we have over recent years got into the swing of Halloween in some areas thoguh!)

audrey said...

Oh my, I never even realized how different dressing could be until I got married. My husbands family likes to experiment every year and I want it the same-o same-o every single Thanksgiving! And my husband doesn't even eat it at all so doesn't understand what the fuss is all about.:) Love the kisses showing off that rose fabric. Then entire quilt is looking absolutely smashing. Great, great colors and fabrics!

la tulipe said...

I'm French and I didn't know that kisses and hugs were also for patchwork. And I like this metaphor :-) I like how turn your top. It's very interesting! Happy Thanksgiving!

Ann said...

That rose is almost a pretty as the one you grow, Maureen. The transition is worrisome to me but will hopefully work out. We’ll see.

Ann said...

i chose that fabric because of the roses so I should show them off. Do you have a harvest festival in May? Ours in North America started as a harvest and religious celebration for making it through a year with crops to show. My family had turkey twice until I was a teenager. Then my mother started serving ham at one. But darn, no dressing. Now we sometimes make dressing and serve it at other times of the year with chicken or turkey breast, haha. Crazy.

Ann said...

I found out about different dressings in college and must say I was very disapproving. Everyone should make it like “ours”, the correct way. Haha. One young man from Wisconsin brought wild rice and chestnut dressing to dinner once. Must say it was fabulous.
Yes, the rose fabric should be shown off. Kisses it is.

Ann said...

It is a beautiful metaphor. Any way we can translate live and friendship should be encouraged, right? Louisa is a talented designer; I’m just making a few modifications to her idea.
Enjoy your week, too.

Nifty Quilts said...

Beautiful project! I love the colors and the design. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

Ann said...

Louisa is a talented designer but I like the colors o chose... and that they all came from my stash... which is not one bit smaller. Sigh.

Mary Marcotte said...

I would want the roses to show, so that's my choice.
Here in Louisiana food is a big deal, no matter the occasion. We often have a big family meal just to be together. We decide what to cook a week or so in advance so I can prep, but it could be any of a number of dishes, sometimes Cajun but not always. I love to cook for my entire family, which is about 20 people. I was very grateful to see all of my boys and their families around the table yesterday. What a blessing!

Kaja said...

A belated happy Thanksgiving to you! Like others I liked the roses showing, and love the colours in this project; the more you add, the more I like it.

Ann said...

Those were the days. Lucky you to still have your entire family gather. We had several subsets this year but fortunately we could drive to see them. Still missed a few. Doubly lucky to like all our family.

Ann said...

Thanks, Kaja. It’s unanimous. It did feel odd to goose the fabric for the roses and then cut them up.