Tuesday, February 13, 2018

CCVI (Yellow and White) Quilted

Chinese Coins VI (the yellow and white one) worked out better than I thought. Three different column widths are symmetrically placed. The Coins and columns are rotary cut although I didn't try to keep the coins parallel.

Such a low volume quilt needed some solid white fabric to emphasize the lightness of the "white" columns. I.e., ensure everyone realizes they are not beige. I'm finding that adding some solid white to areas I want to read as white is better than using all prints.

Chinese Coins VI quilt

As I've mentioned before I like to ditch stitch major seam lines and on Coins I like to add rows of stitching about 3/8" to 1/2" on each side of the ditch. Here I mimicked that design down the centers of the yellows and the wider (outside) white columns. Then I sewed my usual: quilt by splitting the distance in half until it looked right to me. Because the center yellow column is wider, those quilting lines are spaced further apart than the other yellow columns. I considered quilting as many divisions on the two narrow white columns but decided that was too tight.

Parallel quilting can seem stiff until the quilt is washed. Then is softens up beautifully.

Chinese Coins VI quilting detail

There was a lovely yellow and white stripe in my stash waiting to become binding. Even better, it had these unique bulleyes. Now I see I should have fussy cut the binding so theys lined up around the binding. A note to remember for next time.

Chinese Coins VI binding detail

The buffalo plaid/gingham on the back makes me quite happy. It has a slightly roughened texture - almost like kitchen toweling or hopsack - although it doesn't snag. Usually I like soft finishes but this texture certainly offers comfort on a cold day. We've been having lots of cold days in Texas lately. I'll have to remember this backing choice in the future.

Quilt Details
Size: 45" x 52"
Design: Chinese Coins
Batting: Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton
Thread: yellow Aurifil cotton 50/2 thread, YLI nylon monofilament
Quilting: walking foot parallel lines

Enjoy the day, Ann

35 comments:

Ariane said...

I love this quilt. It looks wonderful!!!

patty a. said...

I also love, love, love this quilt! It is just so fresh and happy! The binding is perfect - I like the bulleyes changing places - and that check on the back - nothing could be more perfect!

karen said...

So happy! Now you need one of those yellow smiley face mugs to sit next to it :)

Julierose said...

Oh the addition of the white/whites really makes this gorgeous--perfect! Lovely work on this hugs, Julierose

Kaja said...

This has turned out beautifully! I like how the yellow columns sort of float above the white ones; love the binding and will try to remember your tip about including solid whites.

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVELY -- so fresh and spring-y. Hope all is well with you!

LA Paylor said...

what! Plan and fussy cut? Not you! Better they fall where they may, creating little random surprises for the viewer! It's just terrific. I love yellow, the quilt I took to college was my granny's yellow and white scrap quilt. Have you given your workshop?

Pam said...

Lovely quilt!

Mel Beach said...

Pretty darn fabulous! Subtle but stunning!!! I also like the black & white prints sprinkled in...so much interest!!

9658 Textiles said...

I am so inspired to get a coins quilt going! I love the horizontal movement ( the wavy silver lines in the whites) in this quilt it is like icing on the vertical movement!

Robin said...

Love the way this quilt turned out. It is so cheerful. I decided that I want to make a coin quilt from seeing all your quilts and feeling your enthusiasm. I ended up with a horizontal stripe floral and a light yellow tone on tone. It will become a strippy quilt not a coin quilt. (trying to teach this old dog new tricks isn't working. )

Cathy said...

Hey, Ann!
I saw you mentioned in a Stashbuster (Yahoo Group) post today as follows:

" http://fretnotyourself.blogspot.com/2018/02/ccvi-yellow-and-white-quilted.html
This would be a stress-free way to use up some strips.
Sort the strips into color groups and start sewing. "

And a wonderful quilt it is! (Was it really stress-free?!!)

Heather said...

Thanks for the tip to add white solids to a low-volume selection. I can see it really works to tie together the different low volume tones.

audrey said...

What a delightfully cheery quilt! Love the tip on using solid white to more clearly emphasize that color usage throughout the rest of the quilt. It definitely lightens everything else up. Your low volume black and white fabrics and darker black ones too are so wonderfully placed and the judicious useage really helps make this entire quilt sing. If you had used more black, it would have probably lost that light, airy feeling that gives it such a cheerful vibe. Great use of the binding and backing fabric. I would think this quilt is one to have lots of 'feel goods'. Every time I think I've seen all that this particular unit can do, I come to your blog and find out different.:)

Pamela said...

This is great! I love the yellow and white!

Ann said...

Thanks, Ariane.

Ann said...

Thanks, Patty. Your comments make me feel better about the "moving targets." It turned out so well; much better than I expected.

Ann said...

What a funny accessory that would be! Thanks, Karen.

Ann said...

Thanks, Julierose. I figured this out after making the one for my niece. A few solid whites really brighten these soft colors.

Ann said...

Thanks, Kaja. The solid whites are very visible in the photos and lighten the quilt more than I ever expected. I see what you mean about floating yellow columns. Serendipity.

Ann said...

Thanks, Julie. Don't we all want spring to arrive. Things aren't going well but we are a strong family.

Ann said...

Haha, Lee Anna. I had a friend with a yellow and white heirloom quilt in college. You are very fortunate. Do you still have the quilt?
There are family problems to work through. I had to cancel the workshop at the last minute. Perhaps next year. At least everyone reading the blog gets an idea.

Ann said...

Thanks, Pam.

Ann said...

Thanks, Mel. Those black and white prints help so much. I can't imagine this quilt without them to ground the soft colors.

Ann said...

Oh, I hope you try one soon. I'd enjoy seeing it. That's the very last of the silver and white fabric. It fit here surprisingly well and I was glad to finally use it up at last.

Ann said...

Thanks, Robin. It is a cheerful quilt. I think I'm converted to a yellow-and-white afficionada now. Repeating strips can still be a Coin quilt. {My interpretation is VERY liberal.} I made something similar for my niece last year: pairs of repeat strips each making a set for part of the length. One old dog to another - we certainly know how to make lemonade from lemons.

Ann said...

Hi, Cathy. I never heard of Stashbusters. Have you been a member long? No quilt is totally stress-free but this was pretty close. I would divide strings into color and then sort them by length. There's no reason all the columns have to be the same width. The solid whites, though subtle, really make this quilt pop.

Ann said...

You're welcome, Heather. It's always nice to know others understand the point I was trying to make.

Ann said...

How kind of you, Audrey. It does lighten everything else up. I guess it's like white trim against a painted wall. I had doubts about the darks but also thought this quilt could completely fade away without something to ground it.
Isn't it funny/odd/typical how we end up liking a style we never thought we would? I used to think this was the most boring quilt design and now I love the subtle ways we can change it.

Ann said...

Thanks, Pamela. I'm converted to yellow-and-white lover, too.

Preeti said...

Sunny and Cloudy at the same time. Love the scrappy goodness :-)

Ann said...

What good eyes you have, Preeti. I can certainly see it now. I should run all my quilts by you for names.

Judy said...

I love it!! Such a great time to make a fresh, happy quilt with bright yellows and whites. It makes the winter grays go away. Awesome!!

Ann said...

A harbinger of spring, Judy. Thanks!

Nifty Quilts said...

So fresh and sunny, like the perfect summer day. Bravo!