Tuesday, January 5, 2021

AHIQ Prompt January 2021: String Tulip QAL

"Hope" is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird -
That kept so many warm -

I've heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

~Emily Dickinson 

2021 opens so hopefully. Here goes!

Quilting


As always, many ideas for a prompt run through my mind but something different kept coming to the top. Repeated comments about the angled strings and the tulips gave me the idea for a quilt along instead of a prompt. So this time, let's have an Electric Socket Shock QAL. I was asked if there's a pattern. Answer: Of course not. I was making it up every step of the way. But it's a simple variation of a string quilt and those are always useful for clearing out the scraps. And it will force me to write something down.

Electric Socket Shock quilt


I'll start writing guidelines for us and we'll head out. Remember, they are merely suggestions. Change anything you want or go in a completely different directions. That's why we love improv.

Interestingly the tulip quilts were constructed like kawandi. I started with the border and worked my way in. So we will do the same with this QAL. We will start with the string blocks and then move to the string tulips. You can make one or both parts and add your own variations. 

String Tulips quilt

My previous quilts are about 40" square - baby quilt sized but you should choose a size that works for you. The final size will determine how many blocks you need to make. And BTW, my blocks were 5.5" unfinished/ 5" finished. Feel free to change those up, too.

You'll need assorted strings and scraps, about 2/3 yard for the background {more if you make a larger quilt}, and some leftover binding for the tulip stems. Or you can pull from your stash. Or go shopping. I also used newsprint for a base. You can do that, or nothing. If you sew with a fabric base, you should increase your seam allowances due to the extra bulk.

Are you in? Let me know in the comments. If it's a go, we will start sewing next month and continue monthly.

Enjoy the day, Ann

56 comments:

Rosec said...

Love your blocks and quilt. Sounds like a fun quilt along.

Jean said...

January is my traditional (!) month for a scrap quilt. I'd love to play along.

smithcindyk said...

I have tons of scraps. I'm ready!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am in - will also send you an email.

Tammy Hutchinson said...

I'm in, or maybe I've already begun. I sorted strings yesterday. :)

tj1 said...

I plan a string quilt for my 2021 leader ender...count me in! But I will be working all year.

ebwhite said...

I am in -- IN the next few days I will try to uncover my boxes of strings and scraps.

kathiec said...

Thank you! When I saw this quilt I wanted to make it and now I can!!

Kaja said...

I'm pretty sure I'll end up running late, but of course I'm in.

audrey said...

I'm in of course. How can I resist a tulip quilt and one with strings? lol

shirley said...

I'm in...right up my alley.

Scrapatches said...

Beautiful use of scraps ... :-) Pat

Mystic Quilter said...

Most definitely I am in and looking forward to this!!

Ann said...

I hope you will join us.

Ann said...

What a good way to pick a month or two to make scrap quilts. See you in the QAL, Jean.

Ann said...

Funny thing is, I always seem to have as many scraps at the end as I did when I started. Does that happen to you? See you in the QAL, Cindy.

Ann said...

I'm glad you're joining, Julie. It means a lot to have you participate, Julie.

Ann said...

Ooh. And overachiever. It's always a good day when we get to pet our fabric, isn't it? See you in the QAL, Tammy.

Ann said...

Good idea for a leader/ender of scraps. Take as long as you like. We all have our own speed and plans. See you in the QAL.

Ann said...

I'm glad you are joining us. Good plan to sort all the stuff sitting on top of the scrap bags.

Ann said...

How kind of you, Kathie. I'm delighted you are joining us.

Ann said...

Don't we all run late. Like the White Rabbit. But didn't that help us this year as we all stayed home! There's a silver lining. See you in the QAL, Kaja.

Ann said...

Hahaha. You will make something fabulously unique. I can't wait! Now to start writing some directdions.

Ann said...

Oh, good. See you in the QAL, Shirley.

Ann said...

Thanks, Pat. It's always fun to use every last bit.

Ann said...

I'm delighted you are joining us, Maureen. Hooray. Take care.

scrappy101 said...

Just seen this on blog post and will be following ...thanks

Nann said...

Count me in, Ann!

Quilting Babcia said...

Glad I sorted my strings and scraps just before the new year with just hours to spare! Sounds like too much fun to miss.

Susan said...

So excited about this SAL! Count me in!

Angie in SoCal said...

I have been admiring your tulip quilt since you first put that block in the center of your string quilt blocks. And now you're having a quilt along? Of course, I'm in!

Ann said...

You're welcome.

Ann said...

Hooray, Nann. I will enjoy seeing what you make and which organization receives it.

Ann said...

A little bird must have told me you'd finished sorting. Haha. I'm glad you're joining us.

Ann said...

How delightful that you will participate, Susan.

Ann said...

You were one of the many quilters who asked about the String Tulips and made me think it would be a good QAL instead of a prompt this time. Thanks, Angie.

patty a. said...

I think I have some string pieces ... LOL I have a whole bin of them I sorted from my scraps as you know! I will be joining in so I can use up those strings.

Ann said...

I'm glad you have enough to join in. Haha. It's hard to get the volume of the bin to reduce, isn't it? Such a treat to have you in this QAL, Patty.

QuiltGranma said...

Well, I HAVE been thinking of using some of my strings...

Ann said...

This might be a good way to start.

jbettyb said...

Looking forward to this quilt-along. No shortage of interesting things in the scrap bins.
Betty

Diane Koch said...

I'd like to do this! I love the tulip quilt!

Ann said...

Glad you're joining us, Betty. We always need to use our scraps.

Ann said...

Thanks, Diane. I'm glad you're joining in.

Marie said...

Can't say that I've ever been part of a quilt along, but I love this quilt. Knowing how I work, it will likely take me longer than you, but it will be fun to work along with you.

Laurier said...

I'm in and I can't wait to get started. There are lots of pieces in the string tote waiting for attention.

Ann said...

I'm glad you're joining. Take as long as you like.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am trying to resist but every time I see your quilt, I want to make something similar. I have zero willpower :)

Ann said...

This is a good way to use some of them up.

Ann said...

There are always more ideas than we have time. Whether you join us or not, you will continue making creative quilts.

sue s said...

OK, I'm in! I think I'll sort through the strings for spring colors so it won't be quite the Shock of yours. And I'll look forward to the tulips because that is new to me.

Ann said...

That sounds lovely. Tulips will fit right in, too.

Deborah said...

I would like to try to play along. I work a lot... But this sounds fun!

Nikki said...

Hope I am not too late to join!

Ann said...

Welcome, Nikki!

Ann said...

Fit it in on your own schedule. We post biannually but everyone works at their own pace... sometimes years later.