Saturday, July 20, 2013

Trips Around the Block

There's a Trip Around the World pattern; several small ones are Mini-Trips. I named this two block combination Trips Around the Block.

Two block layout of Trip Around the Block quilt
Trip Around the Block, X and O block layout

While I'm very pleased with the color choices in Scrappy Trips, I had intended to include more light values. I decided to make some Mini-Trips to experiment with that idea. O's only didn't have the strong diagonal; however, there is an interesting secondary trip where the blocks meet that could be square or oblong.

Mini-Trip quilt
This is a Mini-Trip since it's made of O blocks only. 

The design improved with an alternate X block but was still too static since each X contained only four fabrics. I want to use more fabrics and draw the eye around with value. I've decided to make the O's first. As more are completed, it's easier to vary the layout and number of fabrics. Then I'll make X's. Some of the original blocks will be reworked; you can see where I've pinned replacement squares. It takes longer but I'm not in a hurry.

Fret not; enjoy the day.

Ann

No comments: