Saturday, October 1, 2016

Spiderweb Quilt Finished and Kaleidoscope of Butterflies Oct 2016 Linkup

It's time for another Kaleidoscope of Butterflies linkup. What have you done or seen?


I finished Suhavi's Stars, a Welcome to the World gift for a precious baby. {It would have been a baby shower present if I hadn't been out of town all summer.} While it's not a kaleidoscope, I used that ruler to draft the triangles for the strips.

Suhavi's Stars - a spiderweb quilt

With only one yard of orange solid {which is not as bright as these photos} I needed some scraps to widen the back. These make me very happy. The blue especially sets off the orange.

Back of Suhavi's Stars

Because there wasn't enough of either, there are two different fabrics for the binding. They looked different as pieces but are much less noticeable on the binding.

Suhavi's Stars spiderweb quilt,
details of binding and quilting

The quilt has been gifted. The parents like it, too. Hooray!

Quilt Details
Size: 40" x 40"
Pattern: Spiderweb
Batting: Mountain Mist Cream Rose 100% cotton
Thread: Gutermann peach cotton
Quilting: Walking foot

There haven't been many butterflies lately but the hummingbirds have been crowding the feeder. I guess they are preparing for their trip south. This one was enjoying the flowers. And aren't they similar to the quilt's colors?

Hummingbird feeding on nectar

Other kaleidoscope quilts on the web:
  1. Melissa's 
  2. Linda Miller's
Enjoy the day, Ann

InLinkz removed because it was hacked.

20 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a fabulous baby quilt - it is GORGEOUS!!!

Stephie said...

Another sublime finish Ann! I love that orange - and it makes a gorgeous backing too.

LA Paylor said...

beautiful. It reminds me of some antique quilts I've seen in displays in DC.

Janie said...

Your quilt is beautiful, Ann. Orange and blue look great together. The other quilts and butterfly photo are lovely too. Thanks.

Mary Marcotte said...

Your orange backing is perfect for this colorful quilt. Orange and blue play so well together, don't they? Love your spiderweb quilt! And your flowers are pretty, too.

Ann said...

Thanks, Julie. I like the bright colors.

Ann said...

Thanks, Stephie. It is nice to have something bright on the back, too.

Ann said...

Wow, Lee Ann. I didn't realize these colors looked antique. What fun!

Ann said...

Thanks, Janie. The family likes it as much as I do. A win all around.

Ann said...

Thanks, Mary. I'm very happy with the bright back. I have another quilt pinned but now want to change its back. The flowers were planted by the library. I can't take credit.

Mel said...

This is scraptastic!! I just love all the different red kites surrounding by scraps galore! It is fabulous!!

Mel said...

This is scraptastic!! I just love all the different red kites surrounding by scraps galore! It is fabulous!!

Mystic Quilter said...

A wonderful bright quilt for a baby, how can anyone not love a spiderweb quilts especially with a beautiful back as well as the front!

Monica said...

Your spiderweb quilt is gorgeous, Ann! I love the range of red backgrounds, and I think it was a good idea to repeat them in rows like that. Just the right balance of scraps & repetition. Lucky baby!

Kaja said...

Another lovely scrappy quilt. I like the warm reds in the mix a lot, and the pieced back.

Ann said...

It's becoming a favorite way to use scraps. And this time the kites were scraps, too. Thanks, Mel.

Ann said...

Thanks, Maureen. The word spider doesn't conjure up babies to me. But is certainly is a good pattern for a scrap quilt and that's how I usually make baby quilts. A great place to use leftovers and have fun.

Ann said...

Thanks, Monica. What a lovely turn of phrase: balance of scraps and repetition. That's what I wanted to achieve.

Ann said...

I like red and my husband likes orange. And now I like them mixed like this. (Could it be cataracts?)

Stephie said...

Oh Ann, you have humming birds in your garden?! That sounds so exotic to me! I love the way this quilt turned out, I really enjoy the symmetry/mirror image of the stars. Great to hear the parents loved it too, but how could they not! x