Saturday, January 14, 2017

Leafing Out

The vine is sewn; the cardinals will fit. I only want a few of them but perhaps a bit more upright.

Pinning cardinals and leaves on vine border

I pinned some leaves to check the angles and the spacing. Would some look good directly under the cardinals?

The vine was easy to sew but I'm having more trouble with the leaves. My stitches wobble very far from the edge at times. I try slower speeds {and even the half-speed button} but before too long I'm back in the Grand Prix. Changing to the overlock foot helps a bit {except for my speeding tendencies.} When the wire on the right is positioned along the raw edge, it creates an eighth-inch seam... until I sew too rapidly. "Slow down on curves" is not sinking in.

Attaching leaves by machine applique

Mary at Mary and Patch is machine stitching raw edge applique by sewing around each piece twice. Also, Cathi at Gertrude Made used this same technique to applique her lovely bird. The casual feel of the stitching is very appealing. Too bad some of my leaves are sewn and tied off. I hate thinking about redoing them but dislike even more my current poor technique. At least I found a possible solution before it's quilted.  Gotta love that.

Making haste slowly but I'm still sticking to one project at a time. For now. I will need another Grandmother quilt next month and plan to quilt the red and yellow string top soon.

Red and yellow string quilt top

The green string was quilted with channels, the blue with double row checkerboard. I'm trying to figure out another simple no-marking quilting design to try.

Enjoy the day, Ann

18 comments:

LA Paylor said...

I love a string quilt. I have two to be quilted still. Brilliant color on this bleak day along the east coast. Thanks Ann!

Ann said...

We are all looking for color and warmth right now, aren't we? Stay warm, LeeAnna.
I hope to have this quilted soon. Why don't you quilt one of yours, too, and we can both show them off?

Janie said...

Great cardinals, I love what you're doing with your border, fun idea.
Thanks for the links, interesting work there.

linda said...

I find that shortening my stitch length allows for better control around curves.

Ann said...

I'm glad you like the applique ideas from Mary and GertrudeMade. They both create some unique work.
Thanks for the compliment, Janie. I'm excited to finally have an applique border.

Ann said...

Thanks, Linda. I did shorten the stitch length. I'm just having trouble seeing where I'm going. This is surprising because I'm usually very accurate. Something to work on.

Mary Marcotte said...

Love those leaves and cardinals. Unless you're planning to make the applique symetrical, I think an occasional leaf under a cardinal would look great.

Linda said...

Love the way the colored leaves tie it together. I agree that an occasional leaf under a cardinal would be great.

Monica said...

Mary's technique and the gumdrop shape are inspired by the Gumdrop Quilt in Sunday Morning Quilts. I've wanted to try it since I bought the book! I think there is a lot of potential to use contrasting threads for further interest. Your vine looks great so far! I think you will just have to lay out the leaves as you go, and see what looks good. :D

Ann said...

Thanks, Mary. I want to add some as long as I don't have to miniaturize the leaf. They do seem to fit.

Ann said...

Thanks, Linda. I'm trying to not be too literal in my interpretations. It's one of my worst failings. It was fun to make some of the leaves non-realistic colors.

Ann said...

Thanks for that information, Monica. I do like the way it looks. As you wrote, the contrasting thread adds more interest. I'm busy laying those leaves out now. :-)

Nifty Quilts said...

Your vine border adds so much, however you sew it! Those details will be completely irrelevant once the quilt is finished.

Ann said...

What a good point, Lee Ann. As usual, I have my nose against the fabric but no one will look at that angle once it's done. Thanks!

Mystic Quilter said...

Love your vine border Ann, For some reason I thought you were going to be hand stitching this! I like the effect of this machining very near the raw edge - perhaps I might try this some time too. The cardinals look so cute perched on the vine.

Ann said...

Thanks, Maureen. I wish I could hand stitch but I needed therapy last time I used that technique. I'm hoping my skills will get better as I machine applique more.

Mel Beach said...

I am loving your border!! Those birds and the vine are so whimsical and make for a wonderful addition!

Ann said...

How kind of you, Mel. I'm very excited to FINALLY make an applique border.