I returned from the graduation extravaganza to an email from Kaja at Sew Slowly. She passed a One Lovely Blog Award to me. It is a way to introduce yourself and interesting new blogs to readers. I'm always surprised by any award or prize. Now I've had both within the month.
Kaja's blog reflects her unique abilities - improvisational quilting, unusual fabrics, photography and an artistic eye for color and design. We first met online through her Little Elephant quilt. I enjoyed the developments, detours and explanations of this beautiful quilt.
Information about me.
1. With quilters on both sides of my family, there were always quilts around our house. They were loved and used to pieces. Double wedding ring, grandmother's flower garden, colonial ladies, dutchman's puzzle, Texas star, Jacob's ladder, star of Bethlehem, yoyo, and several applique quilts.
2. Petting fabric is a major occupation. I started sewing doll clothes at seven, made my first skirt at nine, first quilt at twelve and still quilt daily. Of course, I spent the weekends camping, collecting fossil specimens and hiking with my family... from babyhood. (Thanks, Dad.)
3. I'm a retired geophysicist who loves science and math.
4. I've lived on all three coasts of the US.
5. I drink iced tea with mint and lime, please.
These last two are similar to Kaja's.
6. I sing loudly (and slightly off key) in the car... or anywhere else.
7. Chili improves almost everything.
My favorite blogs share information - whether a creative process, a lifestyle or a book. I believe we build bonds of understanding and friendship when we learn about each others' lives, interests and situations. Many of my favorite blogs are in my sidebar. Here are a few in no particular order.
Stephie at Dawn Chorus Studio quilts, paints, and runs in Cornwall.
Simone at Rosellas and Lorikeets ranches in Australia.
Lisa at Ivory Blush Roses hand embroiders and beads in Colorado.
Maria at Tales of a Stitcher quilts in Alaska.
Thank you again, Kaja, for passing this opportunity to me.
Enjoy the day,