My quilt had too much background when the center was finished so I decided to add colorful borders.
By cutting both remaining white-on-black prints I made the inner border. Can you even tell there are two different prints?
Next I added the piano keys outer border. Being really tired of using the rotary tools by now, I used scissors to freehand cut 7" slices from only mediums. Next I stacked sets of four and cut four sets of keys from each stack, then rotated the cut pieces. I sewed four sets of four together. These sets were combined randomly to create the four sides in the photo below. The variations in width and seam line are especially effective to me. And now, instead of looking washed out, the light background shines.
The random widths and organic piecing liven the quilt up. But it still needs something more.
Locating the side of one of the quarter circles, I folded the border and used the acrylic template to cut half circles.
Then I inserted two quarter circles and arcs. To change things up a bit, the arc is medium lights and the center circles are lights.
On to the other sides.
Remember the next Ad Hoc Improv Quilter linkup is next Tuesday, April 26. We look forward to more interesting posts and hope you'll join in.
Enjoy the day,