Tuesday, May 23, 2017

AHIQ 21 - Two Block Quilt Progress

I've been thinking about a second block for CCII. Oddly alternating choruses: Slow down versus move it along; try something new versus repeat something I can create with ease.

I thought this quilt would look more like Nettie's Stacked Bricks. Instead it's taking on a bright "Freddy Moran-vintage" feel. Like our children, we have many plans for their future but, to be truly successful, they make their own choices.

Stacked Bricks center

Whenever I go to a show or meeting, I think, "If a natural disaster strikes, which one will I save?" Not steal. But I could only carry one. There are so many quilts {and parts of quilts} I admire. Among my favorite quilts are ones with nuance and depth to their work that still appear handmade and touchable. These are the quilts I would save from natural disaster. A trivialization of Sophie's Choice if you will.

What does this have to do with anything? I don't want to copy but rather to let ideas percolate and metamorphose until I find a way to incorporate aspects I admire. Like the suns in Kaja's Little Bird which also remind me of my Cowboy Fireworks made using Sujata Shah's Cultural Fusion Quilts. Kaja's are rectangular and I think she individually cut her rays. How would it work with a stack of fabric instead?

Cowboy Fireworks quilt

What if I made star points instead of sun rays? I have some paper pieced New York Beauties in progress for years. Yes. I still think they're beautiful, still like the colors, and still plan to finish. I don't want to start a second one now. {I can't keep up with the papers already.}

Paper pieced New York Beauty
blocks, still in progress

Several years ago, Tim Latimer made a Suspension Bridge quilt. {His post also includes photos of a housetop quilt in progress and Kaja's been using that block. Hey. It's the circle of life, or at least the circle of coincidence.} What charming awkwardness of the points. He didn't paper piece. But he did write a post about his process: Tim's Suspension Bridge piecing.

So... How improvisational do I want to be? What method will work best for me?

How about you? I'm setting aside a couple of afternoons to read all the posts in detail. Be sure to check in with Kaja for more insight into two-block quilts.

Enjoy the day, Ann

InLinkz removed because it was hacked.

26 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely stacked bricks piece and I can't wait to see what you do with those NY Beauties..I love that pattern..it is intimidating though...hugs, Julierose

Ann said...

Making haste slowly. I'm still thinking about how to transition to borders on Stacked Bricks. NYB is in a box by my sewing machine but with no sewing, it's hard to move forward. Must get with it. Thanks.

Cathy said...

Yes! I agree with the slow down...try something new approach! Who wants their quilts to all look the same? And I sure like those NYBs!

Only one quilt to take with me????...hmmmm...the biggest one to keep me and whomever warm! (Can you tell I make utility quilts?)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Excellent well-balanced and thoughtful post - and thanks for the reference to Tim L's method for NYB blocks without paper. I missed that one somehow.

Monica said...

The colours all match so well in the stacked bricks and the NYB blocks. It is no wonder you have mentally linked them!

If disaster strikes? Just make more. :D

Ann said...

That's a good plan, Cathy. You are such a prolific quilter; love your latest one.

Ann said...

I remembered his post from several years ago but didn't bookmark it. Although a bit tedious, it was fun to wander through Tim's previous posts. He's so talented and generous about sharing. I'm glad you found it helpful, too.

Ann said...

That's the attitude! But these are already finished and we'd surely miss them. Must save some! Ha.

Sharon said...

Love both your NYB blocks and the stacked bricks. Sometimes it's time to sew and sometimes it's time to sit and think about where to go. Gwen Marston is proponent of "not committing too soon" and that is good advice! Good luck - I know you'll find where you want to go with this.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your posts are so inpsirational! I'd seen Tim L's 'suspension bridge' quilt a while ago, just great isn't it! Looking forward to seeing what you create with your NYB blocks!

PaulaB quilts said...

I would love to see more of those NY Beauties. They are fascinating, not to mention way beyond my skill level. All your projects are,coming along so nicely.

JanineMarie said...

Ooh, I remember Tim's quilt. I loved it, but at the time was committed to the precision of paper piecing. I still love paper piecing, but maybe now I'd be able to let go and be a little bit looser. I love the vibrant colors of your NYB blocks and wonder if they just might make a appearance in your stacked bricks quilt.

Kaja said...

Now you've got me eyeing all the quilts wondering which one I would grab! There's always a balance to be struck, isn't there, between being adventurous and staying in the comfort zone. I think where we land changes depending on the project, our mood, the rest of life, but it's good to keep in mind that those choices are always there. I'm keen to see where you go with the borders on your coins quilt.

audrey said...

Interesting post. Some of the same things I've been trying to address. How improv. Do I want to be? I think whatever we decide it can't feel like we're taking the 'easy' road. It has to feel right.🙂

Mystic Quilter said...

Thanks for showing your NY Beauty blocks, one of these is on my wish list! I like your "Freddy Moran - vintage" diecription, I see what you mean I love it!

Jane Holbrook said...

Yep, I'm hooked. I just read Kaja's blog, now yours, found you through Quilty Folk and I must link up! Off to blog so I can join.

Jane Holbrook said...

I meant to add, how come your ufos look so good? My old ufos have a weird wth kind of what was I thinking look. I love your NY Beauties and have made my share of wild ones, they seem to lend well to bursts of color. And the red stars... really do the trick

Ann said...

I didn't know that about Gwen and it's certainly a skill I need to develop. Rushing just creates the same layouts over and over, even when the fabrics change. But it's hard to break this old habit.

Ann said...

Thanks, Linda. If I don't start working on them, they won't be anything. Must block out some time... among all the other projects. I was very taken with Tim's construction and the difference it makes to the block. Love the more handmade aspect. I do recall old books that suggested sewing strips together then cutting a larger template with side A and B. But nothing as fancy as what he did.

Ann said...

The NYBs are paper pieced. That's a fairly easy way to make a quilt so I think you could handle them sooner than you believe. I do need to start working on them again.

Ann said...

Yes. It's not paper piecing and not quite improv. But an interesting way to construct the block and I like that the spikes aren't symmetrical. I hadn't considered using those NYBs with stacked bricks. I'll try it and post a photo. Thanks.

Ann said...

A story I grew up with tells of a pioneer husband who grabbed his wife's pride and joy quilt to use to putout a grass fire. Success for the wild fire; ruination for the quilt. You're right; the style changes with my needs and available time. I'm not quite certain yet. Every time I think it's settled, I think of something else. But soon.

Ann said...

Exactly. It has to feel right. I have more quilts than I need so any future ones might as well be complete.

Ann said...

I wasn't planning this to be as bright and happy as it is. The red stars worked very well with the background and sashing. Just need to finish it on this happy note.

Ann said...

I'm so glad you found Kaja and me and even more that you want to join in. Audrey is so talented. Always a good read.

Ann said...

You just haven't seen enough of my ufos. And I gave several to philanthropy a couple of years ago. I shall have to see some of your NYBs. They are a perennial favorite.