Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Second Month of Maps

My map process to date - which has been very slow - is posted on AdHocImprovQuilts. I sketched and erased, thought about the yards, the streets, the neighborhoods that hold significance in my life and decided to start with my grandparents' house.

When we were small, the streets were lined with elm trees. Beautiful and mature, they arched over the street, cooling and shading us all. My brother and I whitewashed the trunks every summer. For a quarter. What riches!

Mapping all my memories of the times we spent there may take several quilts but I'm starting with a simple map of the neighborhood. I've redrawn it several times; the last attempts are more freehand. I want to emphasize the roads and their offsets more than maintaining an exact block ratio.

I wanted to be further along but decided the better choice was to take my time. Here are three colorways I pulled for possible blocks.

Fabric choices in t
hree colorways for the map quilt

Meanwhile, I have a bunch of tops to baste and quilt. I started with the largest one and am halfway through the quilting.

Quilting Color Study Chinese Coins

So far I'm stitching in the ditch with smoke nylon monofilament on top and cotton thread on bottom. Then I'll pause to determine the next step.

Enjoy the day, Ann

14 comments:

Julierose said...

I love the look of your color choices and the floral idea...should be a lovely memory quilt hugs, Julierose

Ann said...

Thanks, Julie. I hope it works out. It takes more thought than I realized to incorporate different aspects and memories of an area.

Janie said...

Good progress and planning, Ann.
Thanks for sharing the adventure, that's where the fun is.

Ann said...

Thanks, Janie. We makers like the road trip better than the destination, don't we.

Robin said...

You've pulled some fascinating fabrics.
I think it's interesting how the subject of maps seems to lead us all straight to a memory.

Ann said...

An insightful comment, Robin. And not one I expected when this prompt started. Walking through time, history and feelings. Interesting indeed.

Quiltdivajulie said...

This has been the most challenging of the challenges. And our responses to it have been SO varied.

Ann said...

Yes. It's so exciting, mind-expanding, and just plain fun how everyone interprets this prompt. Makes interesting reading, gives us insights into others, and - at least for me - has broadened my understanding of artistic interpretation.

Kaja said...

I like your three piles a lot and the memories that are your starting point This challenge is opening up such rich territory - maybe it will lead to another series.

Ann said...

Thanks, Kaja. Wouldn't it be wonderful to see a series from several people? I can imagine some of the previous prompts wrapped into them, too. The breadth of everyone's ideas surprise me.

Cathy said...

Looking forward to your map project.

We had elms along our street too. And I remember when the city came around and cut most of them down because of the Dutch Elm disease. There were two in front of our house. Nosey Agnes next door was elated. She always thought those trees were going to fall on her house.

Ann said...

That happened to my grandparents’ elms but no unpleasant neighbor.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the fabrics you've chosen Ann and so interesting to read the story behind the Map you're going to be working on.
Surroundings of childhood is one I have in mind, I just need to get going. and sort out fabrics.

Ann said...

These maps are easy to think about but hard to figure how to transfer feelings to fabric. I guess that makes it a challenge. Once I manage to create something I think I will have advanced to a new level of quilting. Maybe.