Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Color Study Baby Quilt Gifted

"The real issue in life is not how many blessings we have, but what we do with our blessings. 
Some people have many blessing and hoard them.
Some have few and give everything away." 
~ Fred Rogers ~
________________

I've certainly been on a quilting roll these past few weeks. There's lots of non-sewing stuff to do, too, but I'm incentivized by the number of babies arriving soon. {So much for the plan to have a small stack at the ready. These are heading out as fast as they are finished.} Not that I'm complaining.

The first, larger Color Study was quilted and gifted a couple of months ago to a special friend who shares my love of color. These blocks were the "leftovers"; the extras. Still bright; just enough for a baby/toddler quilt. Only waiting for another person whose heart sings with color. And then...

A young friend is expecting her second baby. Her oldest received Suhavi's Stars and this one almost matches it in cheerful color...

Color Study 2 Chinese Coins baby quilt for a second baby

 especially with the addition of bright orange on the back!

Color Study 2 baby quilt binding and quilting details

My first thought was to bind it in similar bright oranges but they didn't show well with the back. Given all the colors, no binding seemed to work with them all. There are; however, many green and blue fabrics which blended well with this green stripe binding. It looks good against the orange back, too.

Since the idea worked so well last time, I quilted with the same cross-hatching as the first Color Study. Certainly running quilting lines in two directions adds strength; always an important point when the quilt will get so much use.

It arrived just before the baby. Hooray.

Size: 45" x 45"
Pattern: Chinese Coins variation
Batting: Mountain Mist Cream Rose 100% cotton
Thread: Aurifil 50-wt grey cotton 
Quilting: Walking foot grid

Previous post: Sewing the top

A big Thank You to the many hundreds of you who've updated your blogs to the safer https form. So many people have emailed, posted comments, and actually flipped the switch on their blogs. I'm thrilled. Quilters are a strong, kind, and helpful group. You've shown it again with your commitment to helping keep the internet safe for everyone.  🎉🎉

Let's keep the momentum going. Check your sidebar blogs for https and let those quilters know that their blog needs to be switched also. Simply hover over the blog title. If it starts with https, it's safe. If not, it's not.

The next AHIQ invitation is posted. We hope you’ll join us.

Finally: guess who came to dinner? While walking to dinner last night we spied a pair of raccoons playing in the gutter.

A pair of raccoons in the gutter

They quickly hid but then popped out again to see if we'd share. A reminder that wildlife is more adaptable than we think.

Enjoy the day, Ann

22 comments:

Julierose said...

I do love your Color Study Coin quilt--great movement--it is perfect for the new baby (and Mom too;}}} )
You did a lovely job on the cross hatching...hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

The quilt is so pretty. I am sure it will be well loved! I checked out my HTML and all I saw was a question about redirecting readers to my https or not to redirect. I had it on No so I change it to yes. I didn't see any coding. I will have to look around so more.

Juliana said...

This is one of my favorite of your Chinese coin quilts. I'm amazed at how beautifully the colors and the tones work. What a lucky baby and mom to be able to enjoy this quilt for years and years.

Meira Shana said...

There is one drain on a street where I drive frequently where I've seen raccoons peeking out - so far, only saw them once. Drats.

I do often see a coyote every so often and one was going from my yard, across me in my car as I was pulling into the garage, and off s/he went! I'm in San Diego county.

Kaja said...

Just lovely! I like the arrangement of colours, of course, but also those little moments when the eye hovers over the blue tulips, or the circles amongst the purples in the top right. You use the Coins format with real assurance.

audrey said...

This one is so vibrant, perfect for a baby quilt. I just don't get tired of seeing this style of quilt!

Ann said...

Thanks. It came out very well for the leftovers. I do love making extras so there's a choice with the first larger quilt and enough for a baby quilt later. It keeps the piles down in the sewing room if nothing else.

Ann said...

Thanks, Patty. Changing to https redirect is a good first step. If anyone comes to your blog from an older http link, it will switch them to https. The only other thing to check is to see if any old links in your own posts point to http. It's an entire afternoon's task. Definitely needs a good reward when you finish. Now that I've done it, I'm getting many fewer questionable sites linking to my blog. I'm sure they'll be back sometime. These people never say quit. But I'm going to keep trying to block them.

Ann said...

Thank you, Juliana. The family likes it. I think it blends with the previous quilt although they are different. I like this double row of coins and now I see it on social media frequently.

Ann said...

We've had coyotes. I've only seen the aftermath as they killed our ducks. Lots of possums, too. These are the first raccoons I've seen. They hid for a bit but quickly peeked out again.

Ann said...

Thanks, Kaja. I wasn't sure how the busy prints would work since there aren't very many of them in this quilt but I like them, too. This is the first time I've made so many variations in a row. A series. Wow. Like an artist. ;-)

Ann said...

Thanks, Audrey. I like colorful quilts for babies that aren't too precious to use. So much better than stacking it away. We want to encourage more people to like, want, and use quilts. My nefarious scheme to conquer the world for quilting.

em's scrapbag said...

I absolutely adore this coin quilt. All your coin quilts are making me want to make a few.

Preeti said...

Don't you just love a fast finish? I do. It is so satisfying. And when the colors are so bright and cheerful, it is like having an instant party. Love everything about this quilt.

Mary Marcotte said...

What a pretty quilt. I love that it will engage the mind of whatever little one(s) will encounter it. So much to enjoy!

Ann said...

Thanks, Emily. It's another way to use up our scraps.

Ann said...

Yes! And fun to use up the extras. I'm always amazed how well they come together; it's a great way to NOT have leftover blocks. Thanks, Preeti.

Ann said...

Thanks, Mary. The family loves it and he looks adorable on it.

Sujata Shah said...

Such a cheerful quilt! Lucky baby! Bar quilts are so perfect for a baby quilt. I think the binding is just perfect for this quilt too.

Ann said...

Thanks k you, Sujata. Isn't it great to make quilts babies will use? We want them to love quilts

Mel Beach said...

This is certain to add a splash of color and warmth to the lucky baby!! Our neighborhood racoons also enjoy traveling via the roadside gutters. I think they use it as their own private portal...but it can be a bit startling to see them emerge out of nowhere!!

Ann said...

The raccoons probably have an entire underground city. I just haven't seen very many. Usually it's coyotes or possums.