Tuesday, August 13, 2019

A Few More Blocks and Railtown 1897

Setting up more Ohio Star blocks was all I completed this week since we are vacationing. If I had laid them out sooner I might have cut different amounts of each fabric; however, this is all of most of them. That's good from the point of stash reduction but not as good from the point of layout. Still it looks like the scrappiness will work well.

Blue and white blocks laid out on the design wall
Split Ohio Star quilt block progress

We finally toured some of the Gold Country of California. Cleverly, the state highway running through it is 49 and we only traveled the middle section. I've been around the mining towns of the Rockies most of my life but had never made it to this region. The California rush preceded Colorado's by about 10 years but many of the mining techniques and railroading needs were the same. And Californians really embrace their history. Many of the sites are maintained {or at least enriched} by groups of retiree docents who work tirelessly to inform, improve, and assist at these fabulous state sides.

We started at Railtown 1897 in Jamestown, a steam locomotive maintenance and repair facility. The trains were originally established to move supplies up to the claims and gold down to Sacramento. Visitors may tours of the buildings, including the roundhouse, as well as enjoying train and cab rides and special events throughout the year. We enjoyed the informative tour that included many engines and cars before our ride.

Because the stack can easily be changed to mimic steam engines, this "movie star" train has appeared in more films, documentaries, and television shows than any other. Credits include Back to the Future 3, The Virginian, and Petticoat Junction.

A docent in denim coveralls with a red bandana and a railway cap stands with his foot on the rail as he talks about this engine.
The movie star locomotive
at Railtown 1897

This unusual looking engine is a three truck Shay. With gears on the right, the locomotive is not symmetrical but it does make sharper turns.

Three truck Shay locomotive at Railtown 1897

The #19 Hetch Hetchy was originally furnished as an ambulance car and used on the Hetch Hetchy dam project. Later it was used for track inspection and to transport VIPs.

#19 Hetch Hetchy ambulance car at Railtown 1897

After the tour we watched the engineers switch #28 before climbing aboard for a delightful ride.

Engineers move the engine to the opposite side of the passenger cars.
#28 locomotive at Railtown 1897

Enjoy the day, Ann

18 comments:

patty a. said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time learning about those early locomotives. Then to get to go on a ride - how fun! The block are coming along nicely! It looks like have the possibility of tweaking the blocks and move them around a bit. It is going to be a pretty quilt.

LA Paylor said...

I used to love Petticoat Junction! (I was the brown haired girl in my mind) Fun trip, and good job on the layout of the blues...

Janie said...

Good progress piecing Ann.
And the Gold Country history and antique train rides are fun to experience with family, our kids loved the train rides.
Sounds like you've got it well covered.

Robin said...

You can never go wrong with blue and white, the scrapiness just adds vitality.

Helen L said...

That sure is a tricky Ohio Star block! You must really have to be on your toes to make sure you have the darks and the lights in the right orientation!! I know I'd mess it up somewhere!! :-D And my hubby is an avid train (toy) collector and he has made it up to Train Town with his club, but I haven't. Someday, when we retire!! :-) Keep up the good work on the quilt!! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

Ann said...

I am amazed at the work and time that goes into keeping these trains going. The people who put in all this effort have such camaraderie and seem to enjoy it. We should all find past-times we like so well. Wait. We have quilting.
The quilt is progressing slower than I thought. Still, it will be done soon.

Ann said...

Me, too. The train drove by the water tower the girls threw their petticoats over.

Ann said...

Yes, I can see how kids would enjoy this trip. But adults would like the park, too, since they have quite a collection of memorabilia and tour guides to tell us all about it.

Ann said...

So true. I need to make something blue and white for me.

Ann said...

I'm getting better about sewing one seam at a time and putting it back on the wall to ensure it's in the right place. Only a couple of mistakes and those are changing one light for another. Whew.
My husband likes trains, too, although he doesn't collect toys. We visit any place that has vintage trains and there are bunches of them in CA!

Helen L said...

Just went through some of your posts about your Propellers and Planes quilt: what an amazing quilt!! such alot of wonderful fabrics and such an amazing finish!! I've loved that quilt since I saw one like it at PIQF: it's a bucket list quilt for me, and so good to see your version!! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

Ann said...

Thanks, Helen. I think you saw this one at PIQF. Although I started with a purchased pattern I made many modifications so I don't think there's another out there.

Mystic Quilter said...

I must show my husband this post, he'll love seeing the locomotives! Interesting fact about the 'movie star' train.

Ann said...

There is more information about these trains on their website. New modes of transportation are always cutting edge, aren't they? Interesting to consider how they brought people together.

Mel Beach said...

All aboard for another fun adventure! We were just at the California Train Museum in Sacramento--still in awe at the size and power of trains!!

audrey said...

Wonderful to be able to see the sights and find out a little bit more about the area! Sounds so fun. I'm very ready for my husband and I to take another proper vacation again, been so long. Interesting that you are doing a little bit of quilting on your vacation. Such a different perspective than what you would be working on at home I'm sure. The fact that the blocks are ending up plenty scrappy is a testimony to your years of quilt making experience. Some things you can almost do asleep.:)

Ann said...

That is the my favorite train museum. What a collection of different locomotives and cars. Love all the dishes, too.

Ann said...

It was lovely that my husband could take some time off. I quilted at my sister's house but only laid things out while we were traveling. Then I sewed like mad when we got home. If I did handwork like you it would be easier to take along.
This was a pretty simple design {other than the seam allowances turning the wrong way} but I didn't cut extras. It was interesting to work that out. Now I need to get busy making a back and quilting it up.