Tuesday, February 15, 2022

HUGS is a Baby Word

Remember that art is about being interested, not about being interesting.
~Julia Cameron

Quilting


Apple pie without some cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze. Although that saying was in my grandmother's Betty Crocker cookbook, I never put cheese on apple pie. However, my family never gives a kiss without a hug. How could I make a kiss quilt without a hugs one, too?

HUGS baby quilt

With my excellent analytical skills I chose to make quilts with difficult words first. Haha. The letters in this one are all vertical/horizontal. So much easier to sew than V, A, R, and K. Why didn't I think of that earlier? OTOH, I have less time these days so perhaps it's better to sew easier letters right now. 

Partially completed spiral quilting

This one went together like a piece of cake. I used the same spiral quilting because... why not? It's a natural plan for me now, looks good, and required no decisions or marking.

Detail of letter G on HUGS baby quilt

If you read my posts regularly, you may recall the backing. It's some of the leftovers from a skirt I made last summer out of some old Kaffe Fassett yardage. 

The binding is a beautiful coral with arrows. Not that you can see them. I liked it so much I purchased the fabric twice. Shesh! And it's sat in my stash ever since. 

Binding, back and spiral quilting on HUGS baby quilt

Now it has a home where it will wrap a baby in hugs. 

Quilt Specifics
Size: 45" x 45"
Design: Coin or String quilt
Batting: Hobbs Heirloom Premium Natural Cotton
Thread: Metler cotton thread in pink
Quilting: Spiral with walking foot
Approximate yardage: 5.5 yds

Reading


How have I missed this author until now? The Guncle by Steven Rowley is well-written and engaging. Actor Patrick lives/hides in Palm Springs. When a series of tragedies strike his family, he becomes the temporary guardian of his young niece and nephew. In helping them cope with their losses, Patrick begins to face his own. An insightful story that is both warm and funny.  

And... he's written other books that I'm adding to my list.

Gee’s Bend Quilts

Improvisational quilts are stylish these days and few are more recognized than the Gee’s Bend quilts made by many generations of Black women in Alabama. Most of the makers still live in poverty. The proceeds of their quilts usually go to the purchasers and almost everyone feels free to evoke the name for their personal use. Now Gee’s Bend quilters have an Etsy shop. Read the article here.
 
Enjoy the day, Ann

No comments: