Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Polka Dot Quilt for a Great Debater

Sidetracked again... by another finish! Finishing quilts is a great way to clear out my sewing room and reduce my stash. It takes as much material as the front. At this rate there won't be many UFOs around here AND I'll have room for a few new purchases. {Nothing humble about this outright bragging.}

In case you hadn't noticed, boys are different than girls. :-) High drama always surrounded my daughter and her friends while the boys took most things in stride... until I made a fatal error.

As my offspring graduated high school and college I always made quilts for them and their best friends. So when my youngest finished college I made quilts for his two roommates as a matter of course. {Three quilts. Count 'em.} You'd have thought that was a sweet, considerate gesture. Wrong.

I knew the guys watched the games at his apartment but didn't realize part of the attraction was his quilt collection. Turns out they loved wrapping in those old quilts. Everyone had a favorite.

The arrival of two new quilts occasioned loud discussions of "who was most worthy." Each vociferously propounded his own opinion of who should have received a quilt based on
  1. closeness of their friendship, 
  2. length of time they'd known my son, 
  3. number of classes they'd taken together, 
  4. climate of their new homes, and probably even
  5. phases of the moon. 
What a ruckus. ROTFLOL. What else could I do? Here's the fourth quilt for the Great Debaters. {Two more to go.} It's my Polka Dot quilt from the Freddy Dot Com class. {Not quite FDC because I used a different template.}

Piano keys border in reds surround polka dot quilt.
Polka Dot quilt

Look. The piano keys border is a single column of Chinese Coins! It reminds me I need to get busy with that project.

The back mimics the front in a simpler fashion using up some more leftovers.

Back of Polka Dot quilt

One of Freddy Moran's quilts had large cobblestone circles. {I took a picture but seem to have deleted it. Not only can I not show it, I had to remember what I thought the quilting looked like.} Anyway the recent applique ideas reminded me because they all doubled stitched each design without trying to stitch in the same place. I practiced that technique on this quilt and must say it's very easy. It only took a day to quilt. Plus a lot of thread. Multiple loops take more thread than you think.

Detail of loose circles on Polka Dot quilt

Freddy encouraged us to include lots of dotty fabric which makes a festive look.

I bound it with a black and white stripe printed on the diagonal. Yes! Cut straight of grain but looks like bias binding.

Binding and quilting detail of Polka Dot quilt

It arrived at Great Debater #4's home last week and he loves it. Don't we all want a recipient who truly values our quilts? Lucky me.

Quilt Details
Size: 70" x 82"
Pattern: Polka Dot or Freddy Dot Com
Batting: Mountain Mist Cream Rose 100% cotton
Thread: Gutermann red cotton 
Quilting: Loose free-motion circles

Other posts about this project:
  1. Fabric pull 
  2. Drafting differences of Racetrack and Drunkards Path
  3. Beginning
  4. Borders
  5. Finished top
Enjoy the day, Ann

40 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Super fun finish! May we all be blessed with children and grands who love our quilts!

Cherie in St Louis said...

What a wonderful, fun quilt!! But the story is the BEST!!

Ariane said...

This quilt is beautiful!!

LA Paylor said...

I love a circle done this way. The mix of textures really reminds me of my grand mother's quilts so I should stop everything today and get out my drunkard path templates and make something fun. How inspiring. AND you raised a man who appreciates the beauty of quilts! Awesome

Gale Bulkley said...

I like this story a lot. The quilt - well I like that a lot too.

smilesfromkate said...

Oh I remember this quilt from last year, I love it just as much now as when I first saw it. Whichever of the boys who gets it is very lucky, so funny.

patty a. said...

Yes it does make you feel good when people will actually fight over a quilt you had made. My five brothers all have an appreciation for quilts.

KaHolly said...

What a delightful post to read while I enjoy my morning coffee! I absolutely love this quilt and there can be no doubt that the young recipient did, too. Sewing for someone who appreciates our efforts makes every stitch worthwhile. Well done! XO

Ann said...

Yes. We need to raise the right so they appreciate quilts. I'm thrilled mine do and very pleased they have friends who like them as well.

Ann said...

Thanks, Cherie. These guys are a hoot.

Ann said...

Thanks, Ariane.

Ann said...

I always enjoy the quilts you share, LeeAnna. Hope you use those DP templates soon.
Thanks. I am thrilled my kids love quilts.

Ann said...

Every time I recall the phone call from my son I start laughing again. Who'd expect big guys to fuss like that?

Ann said...

It got set aside when family issues arose last year. I'm a bit embarrassed it took this long. But it's done and he likes it.

Ann said...

Wow. As long as they don't bleed on the quilt, the fights amuse me. :-)
Aren't you lucky to have so many waiting in line!

Ann said...

Glad you enjoyed the story, too, Karen. I usually only make quilts for people who really want them. But this bunch is a new high.

Cathy said...

I can't think of any better compliment than a bunch of guys "fighting" over your quilts! I also can't think of any better excuse to make more so each guy ends up a "prize fighter"! Three cheers for you, mom!!

Kaja said...

Great story and I love the image of all those big boys cuddled up in your quilts. I can't think of a better reason to make one.

Cathy said...

P.S. - I'm going to have to try that dotty fmq on one of my next quilts. Looks like fun.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Love it! You know, I love giving quilts to people like this. You know they will love the quilts forever!

Helen L said...

Love your story!! So funny that the boys actually consider it a notch on their belts to receive a quilt from you!! So I guess they DO realize that the quilts are a special gift!! It's good to know that they appreciate them!! I'm in the process of deciding what to make for my daughter's best friend's sister. When she mentioned how much she liked her sister's quilt, I could just see the little girl peeping out of a 27 year old who was thinking, "I'd love one myself." Guilt!!! Good luck with the extra quilting!! :-) Hugs, H

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Such a fun quilt--I love how it's quilted and the binding is the perfect finishing touch!

audrey said...

How could you possibly say no to that kind of persuasion? What a great post to read through today. It reminds me of my nieces who always claim certain quilts when they come to visit.:)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I did enjoy reading this post, glad all your quilts are so well loved! And it's a great quilt, love the binding!

Ann said...

Thanks, Kaja. The thought of those big guys wrapped in my quilts amuses me, too. As you said, the perfect reason to make some.

Ann said...

I agree. I'm not interested in making quilts for people who think they should be used as padding while changing the oil or somethhing. So much better to have them used like this.

Ann said...

It's so much more exciting to make quilts when the recipients really want one, Helen. I love your story. It's a pleasure when someone actually asks for something I've made rather than bought.

Ann said...

The quilting was such fun. I'm going to try it again. Very relaxing.

Ann said...

I can imaging them racing into the house "claiming" their favorites. What a lovely family memory. We quilters are lucky.

Ann said...

I just wish I'd purchased yards of this fabric for binding rather than the yard-and-a-half I actually did. Thanks for writing, Linda.

Mary Marcotte said...

There's not much better than an offspring who appreciates your quilts. Maybe an offspring who quilts alongside you would qualify or one who promises not to toss your stash one day! You should give this subject to the Great Debaters just to see how it turns out.
I'm with you gals...the binding is something else! I'd like a bit (a big bit).

Mystic Quilter said...

I love the quilt full stop, the the wonderful red fabrics you've brought into this just make me so happy!!

Ann said...

You're too funny, Mary. I think best that they appreciate my quilts. Then they can make something else,although I do hope a grandchild will want to learn someday.

Ann said...

Those reds make me happy, too, Maureen.

Mel Beach said...

I got a good chuckle out of the guys debating for one of your quilts...although I too would join in the debate! I love that circular quilted texture--totally perfect for the dot.com theme!!

Ann said...

The juxtaposition of great big men squabbling like preschoolers is so amusing. I noticed this design on one of Freddy's quilts and thought it looked perfect... and easy. It is both.

Stephie said...

What a story Ann, that cracked me up! I think I'd've argued too, your quilts are all amazing and who wouldn't want to be without one. Whoever got this one got a real cracker, I just love the way you put it together - the colours, the shapes, and oh, that binding. It must feel good to know you made some so happy, and a 'boy' at that, haha!

Nancy A. Bekofske said...

That quilt is so much fun! Love it!

Ann said...

You have a son, too, Stephie, and I'm sure he and his friends are equally amusing. Thanks for the compliments but I'm happiest I've introduced another person to the love of quilts.

Ann said...

Thanks for writing, Nancy. Freddy was a delightful teacher. It was an experience to soak up her color and fabric choices. I do like this quilt so I'm glad it's gone to a loving home.