Saturday, July 13, 2013

Postage Stamp Quilt

Scrappy Trip was ready for quilting but there were only king-size batts in the closet. So I chose to first finish this Postage Stamp top I made several years ago and then use the leftover batting for the Trip.

Postage Stamp quilt in greens, reds, pinks and cream
Postage Stamp top

It's made of 2.5 inch strips, about half of them are batik. You can tell I used every scrap; some of the squares are pieced in order to have enough for the quilt. Quilted with grey 50/2 cotton Aurifil, backed with an older Northcott stripe I had on hand. Mountain Mist Cotton Blossom (a cotton/silk blend) batt.

The center is a simple diagonal grid but the batik stripe in the border needed something different. For that section, I used Leah Day's Pebbles in a Stream but quilted at a larger scale more in keeping with the rest of the quilt.

Free-motion quilting detail on border of Postage Stamp quilt
Pebbles in a Stream

Fret not; enjoy the day.

Ann

No comments: