Sunday, February 8, 2015

Binding Propellers and Planes (Steam Punk)

Propellers is finally quilted. Wavy free motion lines about a finger width apart fill the border. It's an easy, relaxing design which I needed after wrestling with the bulk of this large quilt. Maintaining a relatively constant width was the hardest part. Do you find that your line spacing grows and shrinks depending on the day? I certainly do.

Propellers and Planes quilt detail

When we visited friends in Berkeley last fall, I took the opportunity to purchase the binding and border at New Pieces. The binding is cut on the bias to create diagonal stripes. The first side of the binding is attached (by machine) and I'm hand stitching the back in the evenings.

It still needs a label, hanging sleeve and a good soak and block. It will be in the SCVQA quilt show at the Santa Clara Convention Center March 14-15. If you're in the area, please stop by. It would be so delightful to meet in person.

Some of my backs are unusual, even downright ugly. In my opinion, people only see one side of bed and wall quilts. That's my excuse to cobble those backs from leftovers and older fabrics. Propellers is a good case in point. The squadron of planes on the back used up many quarter yard remnants. These are good quality fabrics; many were used on the front. Most of the back's sashing is leftover from previous quilts. This keeps my stash and scrap bag in stasis. And it amuses me to think I'm providing fodder for future quilt historians.

Here's a view of most of the back...

Prop planes in formation, back of Propellers and Planes quilt

followed by a detail of one single prop plane.

Prop plane quilt block


The quilting shows up better in the detail, don't you think? All the quilting is Aurifil Mako 50/2 except the ditch quilting which is YLI Wonder invisible Nylon in Smoke on top and Aurifil in the bobbin. Smoke show less with medium to dark fabric values.

Sketch of airplane block here.

Lucky me. I recently culled some fabrics from my stash but forgot to take them to the guild meeting. They will make good hanging sleeves.

Enjoy the day, Ann

22 comments:

Linda said...

I love this quilt and look forward to using this pattern although it is way beyond my usual level of complexity. Hope to get to the show to see it in person. What are the chances of getting a private tutorial or a guild workshop teaching this block?

Laurier said...

Looks great and I bet it looks even better in person. Unfortunately, I'm in Texas so won't be able to see it. Will you be at QuiltCon in Austin?

Ann said...

I'm in Texas till the day before QuiltCon. Too many family commitments to make it. I heard this is the last year in Austin. So sad.

Mystic Quilter said...

What a wonderful idea having the planes on the back! It goes without saying that I love your beautiful quilting!

Ann said...

Linda, You're a no-reply blogger but I'd be happy to help you. Can you contact me through Google+?

Lara B. said...

This has been one of my all time favorite quilts all along Ann. The quilting looks great! I never put much effort into quilt backings - but I do love the way you do yours. A whole lot more interesting, for sure. Best wishes for the show!

Julierose said...

Oh your propellers and the plane quilts are lovely! I especially like that airplane block--so cute...hugs, Julierose

Ann said...

Thanks, Lara. I put more effort into this one because it was so large. Most of my backs are simply rectangles of leftovers. It’s surprisingly fun to come up with a real idea.

Ann said...

Ooo. I like that name even more: Propellers and Planes. May I use it?

ipatchandquilt said...

I really like the combination of the two types of blocks on front and back!
I really love the steampunk block! It is still on my to-try-list!
Love your colours in those blocks!
Esther

Cathy said...

Love your style. Love your fabrics. Love your quilting. Love your quilt.

Ann said...

How kind of you, Cathy. I enjoy reading your blog and looking at your quilts, too.

Lisa J. said...

What a fun quilt with an interesting mixture of fabrics.

Frances Meredith said...

Love Steam Punk and love the planes.

Kaja said...

This is looking good Ann, hurry up and bind it so I can see the whole thing. I have loved it all along, so am excited that it is nearly done. I really like that binding - it has a nice sense of movement (maybe it's the wind from the propellers) and your planes on the back are clever, as well as being a handy use of scraps.

Ann said...

I'm hoping to get a photo of the entire quilt at the show. It's so large; absolutely nowhere to lay it out and stand back far enough. You know that problem. Thanks for your kind comments as I've plodded through this quilt. It will certainly be good to have it finished!

Nicky said...

Love the quilt puzzle you are leaving to the historians - both sides are lovely and well done for keeping on top of those scraps. Leanne and I need to learn that trick. Thanks for joining us at #scraptastictuesday

audrey said...

Wow! The quilting is so inspirational! Love this quilt and all its special details.:)

Linda said...

Beautiful. :)

salisburysews said...

I've always wanted to do an airplane quilt - so beautiful! Nice job!

Ann said...

I hope you make one soon; it will be fun to see yours. I posted a sketch of my airplane block last year. It was easy to draft from some old newspaper clippings.

Stephie said...

"downright ugly"?! That had me laughing out loud Ann, and I'm sure it's not true for one second! I absolutely LOVE the way the back ties in with the design on the front - this is just such a great quilt in so many ways Ann. You must be thrilled to have it so close to being finished - I can't wait to see the full effect :) x