|Two selvedge blocks ready to sew together. Same length and curvature.|
|Two selvedge blocks. On the left: same length, need trimming. On the right: trimmed.|
|Left photo: the top right section bows in. Right photo: yellow string added to equalize the lengths.|
I sewed two sets of four and two sets of six then sewed those together. Again I added a selvedge or trimmed as seemed best.
Things went very well until the last seam. Here's a mistake. I added long selvedge strips to both sides rather than trimming one side. The selvedges point in opposite directions so even with a variety of selvedge strings this seam is more visible.
On the design wall it was obvious a long selvedge joined every large section together. If I had trimmed both sides, the vertical and horizontal rectangles would have butted against each other in a more natural fashion and better disguised this seam. I may take these out and redo them...
|Brock House Selvedge quilt center|
|Final seam detail. All the selvedges point in opposite directions.|
As luck would have it, two solids formed a T which you can see in the photo on the left. Like an itch you can't scratch, it bothered me until I inserted a second string to separate them.
|Selvedge quilt detail: before and after inserting a second string between two solid strings.|
Previous posts Improvising a Traditional Block and Selvedge Race quilt.
Linked to Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Scraptastic Tuesday.
Enjoy the day,