Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Quilting the Spiderwebs and Random Coins

The plan was to use the same design to quilt my spiderwebs as I'd used on Suhavi's toddler quilt. But this quilt is more than four times larger. Even though I marked the inflection points with washable marker rather than straight pins, my struggles with the weight and bulk certainly show in the wobbliness of the curves.

Spiderweb with petal quilting

Only a few webs are quilted and they are all near the center. It seemed better to start there since the rest of the quilt is softer and squishier. But I'm not "warmed up" enough and it shows.

I've set it aside for a few days while I decide whether to redo the worst areas or take it all out. Here's a possible spiderweb design that might work better.

Possible spiderweb design

Meanwhile, I started another Chinese Coins. Currently I'm using the scrap bag. That thing is packed to overflowing.

Sewing small Chinese Coin sets

Wanting to try the boxing effect, I framed sets of one to four coins with red.

Boxing Chinese Coins in red

There's too much red. Back to the drawing board.

I next sorted by colors and have been making trios of mostly blues and greens {after a short foray into pinks.} They are arranged vertically so I force myself to try a new direction.

Chinese Coin sets arranged vertically

Finally something is working although I'm not sure where it's going.

Enjoy the day, Ann

14 comments:

patty a. said...

You have a lot of figuring out to do! The quilting of the spiderwebs and arranging the coins. Maybe making more coin units will reveal a direction. I was thinking last night I would like to make another Chinese Coin quilt too! I won't though until I get my first one done.

em's scrapbag said...

Good luck with the quilting. I think it will get so much easier once you get away from the middle. I like the idea of framing the coins. Maybe scrappy frames would work better. Whatever you decide it will be great!

audrey said...

It's amazing how much easier it is to machine a smaller quilt. Best of luck getting this one figured out, tho if that was my quilting, I'd be happy as is.:) The vertical coins in the bottom picture are looking wonderful!!

Cathy said...

I've fmq'd a couple of spiderweb quilts using that spider web design. The largest of the two was twin sized and I did not find it very difficult to quilt on my DSM. I loved the spider web design. On the smaller of the two I used flourescent thread in the bobbin on a black backing so the design showed up and loved the effect.

I need to get back to my Chinese Coins. I'll bet you are having fun with the second one...so many options...

Ann said...

I truly need to finish quilting Spiderweb and my old sampler but since I have finished and gifted the previous Coins, it's okay to start another just for me.

Ann said...

You're right about easier away from the middle. I hadn't considered scrappy frames. Something to look at. Thanks.

Ann said...

You're so right. Often machine quilting classes have us work on a table topper-sized quilt. It does nothing to help us learn to man-handle these larger quilts. Although to be honest, I've no idea how you could teach more than one or two people at a time. That was a carefully framed attractive section. A bit further over there's a big zig-zag in the arc. But I may let it go for a while and finish the rest of the quilt. No sense getting too frustrated.

Ann said...

I thought the web quilting would be harder than the flower style but the opposite it true. I didn't try to make the web arcs especially symmetrical so that may be the reason it's easier. Fluorescent thread sounds perfect you. I've used it when thread writing; it shows up very well.
Hope you're enjoying retirement!

Mel Beach said...

I am intrigued by the red boxes design...curious to see where you go with the coins next!

Mary Marcotte said...

That spiderweb quilt is awesome! I can't wait to see how it turns out once you're warmed up. That design is going to work out beautifully.

You have me wanting to make another Chinese coins quilt...but it's not in the cards right now. I have a Jacob's ladder calling my name very loudly. lol Your new one knows what it wants, and it's looking really happy!

Kaja said...

I don't know how you wrangle a bit quilt through your machine, but I guess the middle is the hardest bit. I like the look of the new Chinese coins.

Ann said...

I started so young that I didn't know better and kept it up. The last few years, however, it's become more cumbersome. either because I'm trying to be more careful of my quilting or my strength is slowly waning.
I'm interested in working with Coin layouts more. But there's a long list of quilts piling up. As usual.

Ann said...

I've gone back and forth on that design but hope to create something with it... after the quilt show!

Ann said...

My great-aunt created a Jacob's Ladder and I've always wanted to make one, too. Bet yours will be wonderful!