Tuesday, May 22, 2018

AHIQ #33 - Scale Change

I have not quilted at all this past month. Too busy... but I did write about a family quilt we found at Mother's. We know we are lucky to come from a family of makers. We know that history but we can prove it because she SIGNED HER WORK. Sirena passed away long before any of us were born. There is a faded photograph of her but no evidence my mother met her. If she hadn't signed this quilt no one would know its provenance, its importance to our family history. Take the same care for your family. Sign and date your quilts.

I made a few visits to family to deliver small mementos. Driving in Texas involves hours behind the wheel. In fact, you can tell a Texan because if you ask how far away something is, they answer in hours rather than miles. "Amarillo? Oh, 'bout five hours away."

The scenery may appear desolate to others but I love the undulating plains of north Texas. The photo doesn't do it justice.

View of North Texas plains 
from the Hedley safety rest area

Texas DOT is upgrading the old rest stops with new safety areas combining picnicking, restroom, DOT facilities, and tornado shelters. If a thunderstorm builds while traveling, these are welcome sights indeed.

However, because it's Texas, beware rattlesnakes.

Picnic table at Hedley safety rest area, Texas

The Coca-Cola Building in Dallas has a Foucault pendulum. I enjoyed watching the movement of the pendulum while eating my sandwich last week. If you stay long enough, the pendulum rotates through the circle.

Foucault pendulum,
Coca-Cola Building, Dallas TX

Kaja has all the scoop on Scale Change. Be sure to check out her site and all the links.

Enjoy the day, Ann

InLinkz removed because it was hacked.

12 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

Hah! I'm from Texas, so I know what you mean! Since I live on Central Texas Gulf Coast, it is hours from the nearest state!

Kaja said...

Great landscape!

audrey said...

I love coming from a family of makers. Just wish we had more to look at! It's kind of funny to travel distances by the 'time' involved. That's exactly what happens on our side of the state.:)

Janie said...

We lived in Texas for over a year, not long, but I liked the landscape.
I loved the wildflowers in the spring. The lightening storms were amazing.
My neighbors were friendly, I enjoyed my time there.

Mystic Quilter said...

Not keen on the rattlesnakes!! Those plains look amazing Ann.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love the vastness of that landscape (except when driving with a timetable). No rattlers for me, please.

Ann said...

I love the varied landscapes and grew up driving long distances to visit family. Never realized how odd that was until I moved away. So good to hear from a fellow Texan, Pamela.

Ann said...

Thanks, Kaja. That photo doesn't do it justice.

Ann said...

I know what you mean, Audrey. I wish we had more but many were used up. Isn't that the best way? It's good to know driving by time isn't just a "Texas thing". ;-)

Ann said...

Lady Bird Johnson jumpstarted wildflowers. Fortunately, Texas still celebrates them. Now fields aren't mowed along the roads and in cities until after the flowers have seeded. They still use pesticides so have to reseed regularly. We all love to drive around to look at the wildflowers - especially our beloved bluebonnets.
I missed friendly neighbors when I moved away

Ann said...

Couldn't agree more, Maureen - both on rattlers and plains.

Ann said...

Texans aren't subtle but our plains are. Love to watch the cloud shadows cross the landscape, the grasses and wheat sway with the breeze, the lines of scrub marking arroyos. Yuck on rattlers.