Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Possible Posts

I thought I'd have a few of the centers sewn this week but haven't started on any of them. However, it's time to think about possible posts. Of course they aren't required but this block is so pale it seems to need something in the corners. As I perused my board of {mostly antique} applique quilts, I noticed most of them have a secondary design or post in the corners. Even the quilt that reminded me to start this. The change in size looks good to me - like Pies and Tarts.

My first thought was applique. Let's be realistic. I'm unsure I'd finish a multitude of tiny circles in any reasonable time. Crazy! Although sewing a single larger circle might work. {The orange flower was originally cut to be a compass center but might work well as a post.

Two Shadow Star blocks on the design wall surrounded by three post choices: a flower medallion, a red four-pointed star, and a rust eight-pointed star.
Posting choices for Shadow Star quilt blocks

Then a regular eight-pointed star seemed like a good plan. It will not work. It's much too heavy for the light and airy Shadow Star.

As a fourth idea I pulled some compass points to see if they could they double as posts? These are a bit wider than they will finish because of the seam allowances. They will sew up thinner and I could cut them even thinner from the beginning.

Red is one of my favorite colors. There's some in the Shadow Star blocks but I'm finding red overpowering as a post. Must reconsider.

Enjoy the day, Ann

24 comments:

LA Paylor said...

hard to know what would accent but not distract from the stars. I didn't even think about a post,since the stars are so interesting. Looking at the little thumbnail pics on your blog, is interesting...they are cool in miniature, so bold and bright and complex.

Mel Beach said...

I know the perfect design will emerge for you...give it time and keep playing!

Angie in SoCal said...

Suggesting a midnight blue (there was a gorgeous background print with stars last Christmas). Might use something like that for the posts made up of compass points. After all stars are out there in black space. How about a friendship star?

audrey said...

Some blocks just need a bridge between them. I'm loving your skinny compass look connector!

Robin said...

It fun to watch you work.

Mystic Quilter said...

Your compass point have my vote Ann.

Millie said...

I wrote a comment this morning, but my iPad wouldn't let me publish it, so I am writing it again now.

NO! Don't you go be putting those red stars in the corners between your blocks. The red will be the strongest contrast in the quilt and thus the viewer's eye will be drawn to them and away from your lovely delicate starbursts. Pretty sure that's not what you want. If your Divas are pretty mellow, then the surrounding chorus has to be wimpier than the Divas. I'm sure you'll figure it out. As usual, the biggest thing will be what YOU want.

Ann said...

You're right. I need to think about this. I rarely work with such soft colors... or so much white. It really changes the way the fabrics work.

Ann said...

Thanks, Mel. I'm not as fast as you but hopefully this will come out in the end.

Ann said...

Blue sounds lovely. I'm going to make some mockups when I have the energy and look at them.

Ann said...

Thanks, Audrey. I'd love the stars to work but they aren't cutting it yet. The compass points may be the solution.

Ann said...

Thanks, Robin. It's very slow now but I like watching people work through their designs, too. Like sitting in a class or workshop with them. Such fun.

Ann said...

Thanks, Maureen. They are topping my revised list, too.

Ann said...

How do you always write just what I was thinking? {Only better elucidated.} I finally figured out that red {and indeed any of the dark or bright colors} is too strong. The quilt is very soft. I'm looking at some delicate lights and mediums. Wimpier is what is needed. Just as your wrote. Thanks!

Millie said...

Remember I tried to post that comment at 7 am Eastern time Tuesday morning. So I’m pretty sure I was ahead of you. Lol. How do I say it better? Dunno but I’ve been teaching adults for over 20 years and eventually you figure out how to get your point across clearly. I’ve learned that folks relate to humor. So, Divas and wimps. Everyone gets the point.

I’m also told I’m funny and irreverent. Bet you couldn’t tell 😎

Marie said...

I'm really liking the compass points for your posts but you'll figure out what it is that you want. It's going to be beautiful.

Ann said...

Thanks, Marie. I need to make softer samples to check this out.

Janie said...

Fun with design choices!
Thanks for sharing your process.
However I would choose the word 'subtle' instead of wimpy.
Divas, in my world, are full of hot air and tend to be obnoxious, emphasis on noxious.
Subtle as in intelligent with good taste.

Ann said...

Thank you, Janie. Subtle it is.

Millie said...

I was thinking Diva, as the star of the show. The soprano. The soloist. The biggest and the brightest in the best possible way. The one thing the rest of the show is designed around.

Cathy said...

Maybe you need a little more white space around the blocks and between whatever you decide to use as a post? The posts seem too close to those gorgeous blocks and overpower them.

Kaja said...

Reading all the comments, I gather that the consensus is probably compass points, but in much subtler fabrics, to enhance but not compete with those lovely delicate starts. I concur.

Ann said...

You’re right. I’m still working out the proportions and values. Thanks.

Ann said...

Thanks, Kaja. That wraps it up.