Tuesday, April 30, 2019

May the Fourth be with You

May 4 is coming this week. Star Wars Day because - May the Force be with You. We finally found the Yoda fountain in San Francisco. If you're a Star Wars fan, it's an iconic landmark.

Water flows from this fountain topped with a Yoda statue.
Yoda Fountain at Lucasfilm, The Presidio

We joined some friends at the Presidio to view the Walt Disney Family Museum and walk the grounds. The Presidio was formerly a Spanish and Mexican fort, then a US military base but now part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Congress mandated the Presidio Trust manage the park in a financially self-sufficient manner - no federal funds. Lucasfilm {along with other companies} rent some of the buildings and restored others but all property is owned/managed by the Trust.

Leaving the Museum, we stepped onto the main parade ground. There's San Francisco Bay and Alcatraz in the distance. What a view. Many of the officers quarters have become rental condos and duplexes. Some of them enjoy this scene daily from their windows. Wouldn't it be fun to live here?

Alcatraz is visible in the Bay from the steps of the Disney Family Museum. The grassy Parade Ground is bordered by sidewalks and flower beds.
Alcatraz in the distance from the
Presidio's main Parade Ground

With my usual photographic abilities I managed to perfectly line up the window bar at the Visitor Center with the Golden Gate bridge roadbed. Not the best photo of the bridge but doesn't the window view look artificial? It must be the change from dim interior to bright exterior.

The Golden Gate Bridge is visible through windows at the back of the visitor center.
View of Golden Gate bridge
from Presidio Visitor Center

In the foreground you can see they are in the process of building Tunnels Top park over Doyle Drive. Dallas built one over the Woodall Rodgers freeway that is lovely and well-used.

Between the day trip and other responsibilities, I didn't get much quilting done. I've also noticed a lack of creativity. I don't have the energy to work on something new. But... there are several old UFOs that could use some attention.

Currently I'm sewing sawtooth sashing for the {very old} New York Beauty blocks. One smart move is staggered starts - four each time - so something's always close to done. It also helps keep the scraps more random as older and newer ones mingle on each sash. Here's a representative sample.

Colorful paper-pieced isosceles triangles are sewn to alternate sides of the sashing strip so there is a light and a dark side.
Sawtooth sashing for New York Beauty blocks

Seventy-two are needed but a few extras will give me some design flexibility. Sixty-four were finished when I snapped the photo and the rest were done yesterday. What a relief. I've been {not} working on this quilt for years. Although I can't remember the exact year it was before the Millennium. Sigh.

The next step is the posts. I have some ideas to draft and play with.

Enjoy the day, Ann

24 comments:

Pamela said...

I love the photo of the bridge through the windows. How creative! The sashing looks great. I'd like to try doing it.

Marie said...

Love that border - who cares how long it's been in play? Every additional step is a step in the right direction.

patty a. said...

The weather looks so nice in the Alcatraz in the distance photo. Lately all we have is rain and more rain. That sashing will add such a great look for a border. I have one UFO that is much older than what yours is. I have got to get it quilted!

Nann said...

I went back to see the NYB blocks. The color progression from the original red/green is remarkable. Sometimes projects benefit from a long, long gestation. And had you set the blocks way back when you probably wouldn't have thought about the wonderful spiky border you're making now.....And how nice to have sunny days for your SF trip! Did you get to Britex? (I still have a piece of Italian linen that I bought on my first visit there in (gulp) 1987.)

LA Paylor said...

the border is so you... i like a picture thru a window... yours looks like a painting

Sue said...

Nice pix of the Presidio, with a perfect weather day for background. My favorite place is the little museum (also in an old barracks on the Parade Ground) of the Society of California Pioneers. Currently, interesting exhibit from the POV and in the voices of many early CA pioneer women. Also, love your sawtooth and YB.

Robin said...

Great photo of the bridge. I just kept looking at it and looking at it. There's so much to see.

Janie said...

Yes, great weather for your trip and photos!
Your saw tooth sashing piecing looks good, it all adds up.
And it's good to take a break and shake things up once in a while isn't it?

cspoonquilt said...

Great pix! I have not been to that museum. But It looks like fun! I will have to put it on my list. Love the Sawtooth sashing, so scrappy and colorful!

audrey said...

It's good to get back to a quilt that's been left behind. Looks like you're having a good time seeing the sights! Haven't been there in years!

Ann said...

Thanks, Pamela. I liked that photo, too, but laughed to see how oddly the bridge lined up.

Ann said...

Thanks, Marie. It is a step towards finishing. I need to put it on the design wall and work out the next set of details. But it's full.

Ann said...

The weather is almost always lovely in the winter and early spring. There has been quite a bit of rain but nothing like we have in Texas.
Somehow I always think I've finished all the old UFOs... then I find more tucked away. They aren't as interesting after all this time which just makes it harder to finish. A vicious circle.

Ann said...

How kind of you to look back at the old blocks. This one certainly has had a long gestation. It seems very dated. Hopefully the sashing will help although it's the traditional setting. Not traditional colors though.
We didn't go to Britex this time but I've made it twice. Such wonderful fabrics for clothing.

Ann said...

Thanks, LeeAnna.

Ann said...

We did get a perfect day for the trip. I haven't been to the California Pioneers museum. Something to look forward to on our next trip.

Ann said...

I thought it was just something I found interesting because they are building the park and the bridge seems so close.

Ann said...

Isn't it lucky we had such good weather? The sashing moves the quilt ahead but I need to put it on the design wall to get it finished.

Ann said...

I hope you get to visit the museum soon. There are two parts: the main museum and another building with special exhibits. It was too much for me to do both in one day but there is something to look forward to on another visit.

Ann said...

It is good to get back to this one. I don't have any of the original fabrics anymore so I wonder how the sashing will match the blocks.
Our friends asked us to go and I'm so glad we did. It was a great day and I was thrilled to have enough energy. Have you been to the Disney museum or just the Presidio. Both are worth the trip.

Preeti said...

Looks like you had perfect weather in California. Sometimes I put away one project and pickup another. When I revisit, it is exciting again :-) I have never done tooth-sashing. Looks labor-intensive. I will watch from afar, for now.

Ann said...

We finally had several days of rain but most of the weather is sunny and cool. Such a change from Texas where it's usually hot.
The sashing is intensive; I'm glad it's done. Not sure if this project is exciting or just a chore. I need to get inspired. Perhaps when it gets on the wall.

gayle said...

I love that sawtooth sashing and am looking forward to seeing it in action!
I've never been to San Francisco, but it's on my bucket list. Your photos make it very enticing!

Ann said...

Thanks, Gayle. Australia and NZ are on my someday list but I'd want to spend several weeks. Sigh.
IMO, SF is one of the most interesting cities in the US. The weather is usually lovely and it's positioned on the Pacific and the Bay makes the breezes delightful. Unlike many Americans, San Franciscans celebrate their heritage, gift and support the arts, and try to work together.