Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Tethys Waves Quilt in Progress

About the time the first Ocean Waves quilt was laid out, I had an epiphany. Just combine both triangles in one quilt. The concentric triangles are in the center with a round of perpendicular ones circling the outside.

Quilt pieces laid out on the design wall for form an Ocean Waves pattern.
Tethys Waves quilt top in progress

And it has a name. The Tethys Sea existed during the Mesozoic Era but modern remnants include the Mediterranean, Black, Caspian, and Aral Seas. Since many of these scraps are both ancient and reproduction, Tethys Waves sounds like the perfect name.  At least it amuses me.

But there's a problem I constantly forget... Once all the design decisions are made, there is nothing left but to sew the units together. Tethys Waves is many, many tiny QSTs.

Two collaged photos show sewing progress on the Ocean Waves quilt blocks.
Tethys Waves quilt in progress

When the first units were sewed and laid out it looked so neat. "Almost done!" I thought. But no. I match more points and pin. Sewing sections together dislocates them from the next section. I have to put them back on the wall to ensure I'm sewing them correctly. And I added some cream triangles on the border so all the red triangles are used... which just makes more sewing. And I unsew the intersections at the back to allow them to spin. And I press carefully without steam because of the bias edges.

Two collaged photos show more progress in construction of the Ocean Waves quilt top
Tethys Waves quilt in progress -
only ten more seams to go

And  all I want is to be done. Sigh.

Enjoy the day, Ann

30 comments:

Julierose said...

I totally understand your wanting to get it done with all those seam intersections. BUT it is so gorgeous, Ann! What a beautiful quilt...cheering you on...hugs, Julierose

Pamela said...

This is fabulous.

patty a. said...

I am glad you found a solution for the red squares. I am curious on how big this quilt top is. I know it shrinks a lot with all those pieces to sew together so I am more than happy to wait for that answer. I know it is a lot of pinning and checking to make sure pieces get sewn together correctly, but this quilt top is fabulous! You will have it all sewn in no time!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh I SO SO SO understand that sentiment! One big reason my mosaic quilt (Cathy's vintage thingamajigs) became a small wall quilt instead of the originally planned lap quilt. Now I'm stuck with the excess QST/HST bits in For The Birds and they're sitting on the design wall staring at me. Sigh.

LA Paylor said...

yes... it starts to get very demanding near the end, when you just want the work part to be done. All those seams must be hard to control!

Janie said...

Great planning and progress! You know what it will look like and you know you can do it. Pour a glass of wine and start celebrating now!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

It's lookinggreat! And you are so close now...

Robin said...

I know it's a lot of work but it is oh so pretty.

Chantal said...

I so understand you. I love to make units but when comes the time to assemble everything together and some units don't want to fit nicely together, and I turn my head to look at the amount of units still let to put together, I'm just about ready to throw the towel in. But in the end, I have a wonderful quilt and I know you will too. It looks awesome already. Hang in there. ;^)

audrey said...

I smiled so much at your just 'wanting to be done'.:) It's looking wonderful, but sometimes when we already know the end result then the rest gets kind of boring! These scrap quilts are usually the ones that stand the test of time as far as loving them no matter what new style we love next. They don't get left behind!

Quilting Babcia said...

We so often hear the phrase "just enjoy the process" no doubt coined by someone who never even attempted something as complex as your ocean wave blocks. Let's face it, the "process" is often just plain tedious! I love the way this quilt is coming along, and will be a fabulous finish one fine day. And your blogging friends will be cheering you along every step of the way.

cspoonquilt said...

It looks great Ann! You will get there!!!

Ann said...

Thanks, Julie. I like it but it has reached the boring part where all decisions are made. Chugging along.

Ann said...

Thanks, Pamela.

Ann said...

It’s getting larger with every addition. But the red squares finish 6”.

Ann said...

Yes. I see more wall quilts in my future. I keep trying to use up the bits but they breed, don’t they?

Ann said...

I’m pretty good with seams and sizing but it’s still a bore just trying to stay accurate.

Ann said...

I like celebrating early. Thanks. Just need to keep at it.

Ann said...

Thanks, Linda.

Ann said...

There is something about traditional designs that makes my heart sing. Thanks, Robin.

Ann said...

Yes, units are so much more fun than actually sewing the blocks. But the finished project makes the work worthwhile. Thanks for writing, Chantal.

Ann said...

I do love traditional patterns at times and they are fun to have around. Classic; always in style. But I think we like improv because it’s like opening Christmas presents slowly, one at a time. Stretch out the anticipation, right? And minimize the rote work.

Ann said...

Thanks. I will need some cheering. It’s slow going. Plus, I’ve been busy with family, travel, and household projects lately. But the repeating hsts are what make this design in my opinion. And all is quilters go through this step.

Ann said...

Thanks, Claire. It is progressing... Very slowly.

Mystic Quilter said...

There are certainly a heck of a lot of triangles to match up in this quilt - but well worth the time I think as it's beautiful Ann.
Thank goodness for design walls, especially for this one - great background behind the name!

Mel Beach said...

It just keeps getting better!! It certainly sparkles!

Kaja said...

I have always loved Ocean Waves, though I know myself too well to try making one. I admire your application and persistence - hang in there.

Ann said...

Thanks, Maureen. There are times we just want to make a traditional block but the red fabric updates the feel a bit.

Ann said...

I'm sure glad, Mel, because it's taking forever.

Ann said...

It's one I've always loved, too. Someday I want to make one of my own.