Tuesday, May 26, 2020

More Hatcheting

Every test in our life makes us bitter or better, every problem comes to break us or make us. The choice is ours whether we become a victim or victor.
~Lorenzo Dozier

Quilting

Following my usual plan, I made so many of these blocks there's enough for a second quilt. This one  had even more iterations because they blocks had been culled once for the previous Hatchet quilt. First the blocks were laid in the order they were sewn.

Blocks laid out as originally sewn
Hatchet 2 baby quilt original blocks

At first I regrouped some streamers and removed the light blue ones on the right.

Moving peach blocks closer together, exchanging light blue and red blocks for more peach and yellow
Regrouping the Hatchet blocks

Next I switched short blue and yellow streamers.

Swapping placement of short blue and yellow streamers of blocks

Then took out four beige blocks to add yellow and moved the light green to the right. I thought this was it but the digital camera revealed a less than attractive center line dividing left and right, dark and {mostly} light.

Swapping beige blocks for yellow and moving the light green blocks to the right looks better but makes a sharp value division through the middle of the quilt
Still more adjustments to the Hatchet blocks

Tweaking the coral and green streamers resolved that issue.

Moving the coral and green streamers created the final layout of the Hatchet quilt and blurred the value changes across the quilt
Hatchet 2 scrap quilt

Having a few extra blocks made this possible. While not perfect I'm only using the scraps on hand, not going into the stash for more. Babies will like these graphic designs and I like clearing some space in my workroom.

Again the extra/discarded blocks make up part of the back. It always amazes me how well they work with each other and with the main backing choice.

Extra hatchet blocks form a line of Xs through the yellow background fabric
Hatchet 2 scrap quilt back

Parallel quilting lines, of course. The binding is a really bright carnival stripe.

Folded quilt shows parts of front, back, and striped binding of the Hatchet 2 quilt
Hatchet 2 scrap quilt detail

Quilt Specifics
Size: 45" x 45"
Design: Hatchet or Signature block
Batting: Mountain Mist Cream Rose cotton
Thread: Superior 50 wt grey cotton thread
Quilting: Parallel lines with walking foot
Approximate yardage: 5.625 yds

Of course I saved the waste triangles. And sewed them up, too. I'm that crazy. They will wait in the HST box until needed for a border.

Waster triangles from the original squares used to make the hatchet blocks as sewn into smaller HST blocks
Waste triangles sewn into small HSTs

The next troll through the scrap bag pulled strips 2.5" or more to cut into squares for a future Trip Around the World quilt.

2.5" squares cut from remnant of cotton fabrics in the scrap bag. These can be used for many different quilts including Trip Around the World
Squares for a Trip Around the World

A week's work ended with another baby quilt as well as additions to the Parts Department. Now there are just narrow strings ready for my next project which should start next week.

There was even time to sew a few more pillowcases, too. These are more enjoyable than expected. They are useful, look pretty, and use fabric that had become stuck in my stash.

Reading

Just in time for an online discussion, I found the History book club through MFAH which meets quarterly. Usually they gather at Bayou Bend or Reinzi but with the stay -at-home order they set up online, at least this time. And guess what? The book was Bill Bryson's At Home! So of course, I joined in. There's a list of previous discussion books here.


Monthly FUR (Fabric Use Rate) 
Nineteen pillowcases, six totes, and two quilts used 41.25 yards for May. Tracking my usage is salutary or at least, educational. YTD = 103.75 yards.

Enjoy the day, Ann

26 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

That was one of the firdt patterns I used when I started quilting. I still like it. Good job.

Linda said...

Loved seeing how you kept tweaking your Hatchet blocks until you were happy with the final quilt. Great baby quilt, lots to look at, lovely backing and binding too.

Julierose said...

I like those hatchet blocks in that setting...great colors in that baby quilt--food for little eyesight...
Nice work Julierose

LA Paylor said...

of course you saved the tiny triangles! I like taking pictures of progress too, for the benefit of seeing design my eyes don't pick up on. My granny left me a trip around the world in two fabrics, lavender and muslin. How bored she must have been making that but at the time it was "fancy" to use store bought fabrics not scraps. Ironically I took one of her scrap quilts to college, hundreds of colors on a rich yellow ground... I loved that quilt. You have used an amazing amount of fabric and it's so satisfying to see totals isn't it! Off to look at that book.

patty a. said...

Another cute quilt!

Janie said...

Great process and design decisions, very fun.
I like reading about the thinking along the journey.
I'll check into the book club group.

Robin said...

You get so much done! These little baby quilts turned out so nice. Glad you could find a book club to enjoy. That makes reading much more fun.

Ann said...

I made my guild nametag with this pattern and know I made some years ago but didn't set them like this. It's fun and quick to work with.

Ann said...

Thanks, Linda. It's interesting to see what a change can be made by simply moving the blocks around. I think a baby will enjoy this.

Ann said...

Thanks, Julierose. This setting looks like a celebration and that's what a new baby is. And they certainly are quick to make.

Ann said...

What fun you must have had with that scrap quilt. One of my friends had a similar one {with yellow background} on her college bed. The color was bottled sunshine. We all have different thrills. Some people love to use one collection because everything matches perfectly. Not my style but quilting has room for every style, doesn't it?
Nann got me to start tracking the yardage. It helps me realize how much or little I use and how my stash got so out of control.
I will be interested to read what you think of Bill Bryson. He has a definite style.

Ann said...

Thanks, Patty. And it's going to a new home soon.

Ann said...

Online book groups are an unexpected joy from this terrible time. I hope you find one you like.

Ann said...

Five baby quilts are about the same area as one queen quilt. No wonder I get through them so quickly. And they are much quicker to quilt without all the weight of a large quilt.
I enjoy book clubs where we really discuss the book and the style. Like being back in school. Ha.

audrey said...

I might actually like your second quilt better than the first! Both are very nice of course, I can't imagine you making a quilt that was 'less than par'! I really like the graphic look of how this block shapes up and how easily the look changes with a slight change of color placement! These are very sweet baby quilts and the backs are especially charming.:)

Quilting Babcia said...

Best time to sew up those triangles is when they're staring you in the face right after trimming, lol! I like following your thought process as you arrange and rearrange your blocks. Babies are going to love these colorful quilts, as do I! Well done!

Ann said...

Thanks, Audrey. Sometimes it feels like cheating to make two or three in a row but baby quilts are so small and quick. It helps me to really sink my teeth into the design; otherwise it would be over too soon. My hope is that they will be used to pieces by their babies. I'm glad you like the process/change photos, too. It always amazes me how much a quilt can change by simply moving the blocks around {plus having a few extras!}

Ann said...

You're right although it would be even better if I used them up next. These blocks are so simple but quite graphic. I hope their future baby owners will love them and use them daily.

Preeti said...

Ann, it is remarkable that you remember to take pictures after every iteration :-) Not only does it document the process it also demystifies the creative journey for the readers. I agree that bold and bright is the best or baby quilts. I too am a sucker for all those tiny triangles. Although I used to stitch them into HSTs (2 triangles into 1 square), now I stitch them into QSTs (4 triangles into 1 square). Hugs back to you.
Stay safe :-)

Ann said...

I don’t always remember but needed to see what the ribbons looked like this time. Aren’t we fortunate to have digital cameras these days? Hopefully they help others see how they can work their own quilts.
QSTs sound great but this time they would have bias edges. Still, I hope to make more hourglass blocks soon. Take care.

Mystic Quilter said...

All your tweaking really paid off Ann, this is another super Hatchett quilt and it seems to have a slighter softer feel, to me, that your first one. Nothing quite like a beautiful scrap quilt.

Ann said...

Thanks, Maureen. It was good to use up all these scraps and I think a baby will enjoy the results.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

So interesting comparing the photos from one adjustment to the other! A lovely baby quilt, colourul and happy.
Off to check out the Bill B. book... I've had a little run on the Jane Harper books, "Force of Nature' being my present read, can't put it down!

Ann said...

Aren't we lucky to have digital cameras. They make it so easy to take lots of photos for comparison. Thanks for the tip about Jane Harper.

Mel Beach said...

I love how this design I see Os morphing into Xs in the bottom left. And I was curious if you saved the extra HSTs from all those snowball units?!? Mystery solved!

Ann said...

The Xs and Ox are an artifact of the blocks available. I see it as a happy accident, albeit one I tried to kill off. Haha.