Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Return to Shadow Stars

This present moment used to be the unimaginable future.
~Stewart Brand

Quilting


Did you think I'd forgotten about the Shadow Stars? I've been researching different border ideas. DH didn't like white for the border and I've come to agree with him. I don't want a reproduction although this has traditional roots.

Without enough fabric on hand I spent several weeks looking at online choices. That's a difficult way to make a decision when looking for a specific color. The background needed to be white rather than cream. But the whole thing needed to be soft since I'm planning to applique on it.

After looking at lots of small prints, microdots, plaids and stripes, I settled on this watercolored stripe by In the Beginning. 
The border fabric is laid around the quilt to see how it might look
Striped border around Shadow Star quilt

Now that I'm developing a tulip fixation like Audrey, I drew a fairly simple design. It only took four or five days. Sometimes I'm so literal I try to include everything down to the pollen! It finally occurred to me to merge the leaves and base into one template. I may change the petals later. These outward pointing ones are narrow at the top; perhaps an inward shape would be easier.

Stylized tulip for possible flower on the quilt border
Stylized tulip

Lots of leaves so I pulled these light greens. Mainly too light although the dark one in the middle is too dark. The light blues are also too light. They are lovely but won't contrast enough with the background stripe.

Collections of green and blue prints against the blue and white striped background fabric
Fabric pulls for applique

Something from these choices will show up on the background. There's not enough of anything to make all the leaves. We'll see how many different fabrics are needed. Sometimes I like a lot of variety {the more-is-more style} but this time a restrained collection seems more appropriate.

A variety of green prints against the blue and white striped background
Green fabric choices for leaves

The flowers will be pink... or purple. There's only a smidge of red in my stash and no yellow. Of course, there are some bits in the scrap bag.
 
Purple and pink fabrics on the blue and white background fabric
Fabric choices for the flowers 

These darker blues might make a vase. Black and brown fabrics were too severe. The lightest one here is really too light but it's that Tula Pink print with rabbits. I'm just compelled to try it. Perhaps with a darker rim...

Blue prints on the blue and white background fabric
Vase fabric choices

Lots of plans, sketches, and measuring this week. Cutting and sewing starts next. And so does the U.S. election. Make democracy work for all of us. V-O-T-E!

Monthly FUR (Fabric Use Rate) 

October saw one quilt completed. It took  6.5 yards. YTD = 159.5 yards. I do like tracking my fabric usage as it makes me more honest about purchasing. And I intend to go shopping again soon.


Reading

The Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate follows dual timelines of Benny, a present-day schoolteacher , and Hannie, a freed slave in the 1870s during Reconstruction. The title comes from the real Lost Friends column published in the Black Methodist Episcopal newspaper, The Advocate, to locate missing/stolen/lost family and friends of former slaves. The subject is heavy but the writing is excellent. As others noted, this is a topic not usually covered in history classes. 

Enjoy the day, Ann

28 comments:

Julierose said...

I think your stylized tulip is lovely...nice sketching, Ann. The watercolored stripe is a wonderful choice...
hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

I like the stripe you picked. With the applique it will be a stunning border. Since there are so many different prints in the blocks using a mix of prints in the border makes sense.

Nann said...

The subtle stripe will add interest to the border and be a great background for the tulips. It is hard to choose fabric online (and I miss the tactile satisfaction).

Nann said...

P.S.Thanks for the book review. I liked Before We Were Yours and want to read this sequel/follow up.

LA Paylor said...

your quilts are always so full of color, texture and interest. Tulips are going to be just as beautiful. But more beautiful is your ongoing message of decency and kindness including the book and quotes
LeeAnna

Robin said...

I wondered if I missed the finish on these blocks. It might need a solid narrow stop border before the stripe. Maybe a soft blue. These are such lovely blocks. I have a tulip fixation too, darn that Audrey - ha!

Janie said...

Fun plans and fabrics the adventure continues!

Helen L said...

I love those star blocks: can't wait to see the next part of your adventure!! Hugs, H

Quiltdivajulie said...

I really like your tulip template - a lot! And the stripe you chose is going to be perfect. Have fun choosing combinations for the border flowers!

Cathy said...

I'm glad to see these out again. I love those Shadow Stars. Good thing DH didn't want white for the border because that watercolor stripe
is fantastic. Can't wait to see how you do the tulip applique.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I love these blocks! It's great scrolling thru' your border options, am looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Ann said...

Thanks, Julierose. The sketch turned out better than I thought and I am delighted with the stripe.

Ann said...

Thanks, Patty. Well, I'm not sure about the border yet but I know I didn't want a plain or white background there.

Ann said...

Thanks, Nann. I'm trying to update the quilt. My great-aunt didn't have any border on hers.
I hate online shopping because, like you, touching the fabric is at least half the joy.

Ann said...

She is a great writer but both books are heavy topics.

Ann said...

You are so kind, LeeAnna. The longer problems in our country have increased, the more I've chosen to add my opinions to this blog which was meant to share quilting and reading. However, the quotes are from books and articles I've read.

Ann said...

I'm embarrassed how long these have been set aside but the failure of the tree blocks left me without a good plan. A stop border might be a good idea although there is a narrow white border.
Audrey inspires many of us. Reading her blog is always a treat.

Ann said...

Thanks, Janie.

Ann said...

Thanks, Helen. I'm glad you are back online and hope things are improving in Healdsburg.

Ann said...

Thanks, Julie. I hope it's easy to sew since I don't applique much.
Playing with color is a good excuse to handle fabrics and isn't that what drew us to sewing in the first place.

Ann said...

Thanks, Cathy. I'm sorry I left them so long but the failure of the tree blocks made me pause.
The stripe is much better than plain white.

Ann said...

I always enjoy seeing what you've pulled from your stash, too, Linda. It's almost as much fun as being there. All us quilters love fabric.

Mystic Quilter said...

Nice choice for the border Ann. On to your tulip, I really like the sketch you have and the colours of the fabric pulls. Had to smiler at the idea of your possible trying to have pollen!

Ann said...

Thanks, Maureen. It's not as hard to sketch as I thought. Like most things, if we just try it gets easier.

audrey said...

It really is hard to find the perfect fabric online! This one looks great though, good job.:) I love your tulip ideas {of course} and applaud your stripped down version. Simple is good especially when it comes to actually plowing through the work!

Ann said...

Thanks, Audrey. I went through all my fabric but nothing fit so I felt better about purchasing this. I've gone back to look at your tulips several times. Now that I'm trying to make my own (again) it's much easier to understand why you simplified yours.

Preeti said...

You may have forgotten the Shadow Stars or pushed them away because you were seduced by the tulips. I didn't and I am glad to see them back in focus. Hope you finish it soon. I am holding my breath :-D

Ann said...

Seduced by tulips! That must be it. Just another Tulip Bubble. Hopefully I will finish it this time around.