Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Sashing and Bordering the Giants Baseball Quilt Top

There are three types of baseball players: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
~Tommy LaSorda

Quilting


The red and white stripe worked so well on the Wheel quilt so once I realized I didn't want wide sashing, this black and white became the hands down choice. Orange and black are Giants colors plus the black and white reminds me of umpires... although baseball umpires wear solid colors. Plus the stripe goes so well with the border fabric, I piece I've held for many years not knowing where to use it.

Sashing the Giants baseball quilt

But the sashing is still too wide. So I trimmed the interior sashing down by half an inch. On to the next problem.

Despite yards and yards of the border fabric, my decision to highlight the white diamonds left me with too little to fill the corners of the quilt. Grr.  OTOH, DH purchased several Giants decals when I made the first {Phillies} baseball quilt for one of my son's friends. They will fit into these corners if I choose the right base. Solid black sounds best.

Still, here are two black and white print possibilities just to make sure all my choices are covered.

Two border post choices

And yes, solid black it will be.

Now to sew these long seams and start thinking about the back.


Reading

My father, who enjoyed native art and western stories, introduced me to Tony Hillerman's Navaho detective series. I loved reading each and discussing them with him. Now I'm re-reading. The Blessing Way opens with anthropology professors arriving on the reservation. One is an old friend of Joe Leaphorn who wants to research Navaho witches.  A young man is killed, livestock go missing, and the Navaho hold an Enemy Way ceremony to get rid of the problems. 

Tony is a wonderful writer with excellent knowledge of Navaho culture and history. 

Monthly FUR (Fabric Use Rate) 

One finished quilt this month. June = 3.75 yds. YTD =  81.875 yards.

Happy Fourth of July! 

Enjoy the day, Ann

18 comments:

patty a. said...

The baseball quilt is coming along nicely! The striped sashing add a wonderful touch (football, basketball and hockey the referees wear stripes, maybe too much visual noise for an umpire behind the plate) and those borders are crazy cool! The patches in the corner will add a fun touch!

Julierose said...

Love your baseball quilt so much!! We are big Red Sox fans here--
hugs, Julierose

Jan Hebert said...

Red Sox fans here as well! But I love your baseball quilt Ann! That book sounds so interesting, and I'm sure the series is as well. I'm going to look for it. Thanks for the inspiration! Jan in MA

Kaja said...

I like how this is looking. The stripes and black & white are just right; they add contrast and a lot of movement too, I think.

Ann said...

Thanks, Patty. That border fabric has been waiting for years for the perfect place and this is it. You are correct: striped umpires would be too distracting in baseball although you need them in other sports.

Ann said...

Thanks, Julierose. We sure enjoy rooting for our home teams.

Ann said...

Thanks, Janice. I hope you enjoy the Hillerman books. He really became popular with the fourth in this series.

Ann said...

Thanks, Kaja. Funny how the sashing and border makes this quilt. As you wrote, the contrast adds so much movement.

gayle said...

I love that striped sashing! So much zing!

Ann said...

Thanks, Gayle.

Millie said...

OH! I LOVE TONY HILLERMAN! Leaphorn, Chee, Bernadette, Louisa, they are all wonderful. Enjoy.

Millie said...

You might also enjoy Arthur Upfield's Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte series. They were written in the 50's and are set it the outback of Australia. Very strong sense of place, and reminiscent of Hillerman. Also check out Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series.

Ann said...

He was such a great writer. I read that his books were required reading in the Navaho high school.

bumblebee53 said...

oh, this is so wonderful. great picks for sashing and borders and i love the idea of decals on solid black for the corners. Been wanting to start reading Tony Hillerman for years. You just jogged my memory; maybe it's time.

bumblebee53 said...

I forgot to add how much I love that you faced the caps and directions the players were looking, different ways - nice touch that adds a lot.

Ann said...

Tony’s fourth novel was his first bestseller but the entire series is great. He knew lots about Navajo culture. I read somewhere that his books were required reading on the reservation for a while.

Ann said...

I've read Louise Penny but will look up Arthur Upfield. Thanks!

Ann said...

Thanks. It's fun to make my own blocks.