Tuesday, April 16, 2024

BB1: First and Second Borders Continued

When I started counting my blassings, my whole life turned around.
~Willie Nelson

Quilting


My leftovers box contains a pile of Ohio Stars. Most have red centers but several have this bright, strong yellow. The four added as cornerstones make me smile. But now the white looks weak. 


Eventually I pulled some of my never-ending Chinese Coins to make this border. Who'd have thought this much pink/coral would work so well with the reds and yellows?


That pushes the white round out. Something needs to go in it and there's not a lot of white fabric left in this pile. While pondering, I pulled more Lattice blocks {another never-ending stack} for the outer border. 
Many of the same colors but it's too bright/varied. It's taking attention away from the center. {Bet you never thought I'd like less color.}


Taking the blue backgrounds out calms the design. I like this better. But now, more Lattices will be needed. And the white background area still isn't resolved.


Reading

What a fun book Cody Cassidy has written. Meandering through current archeological and anthropological research, he answers burning questions such as: Who sparked the first fire; who was the first surgeon; who wore the first clothes and told the first joke? Check it out.

Enjoy the day, Ann

8 comments:

Rose Marie said...

I do like where you are going with this project!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Why does that problem round need to be white? What about softer shades of yellow or another color in your quilt OR make that round narrow instead of wide ? love how you are brining in leftover bits and how this is progressing.

Nann said...

Oh, it's delightful! And thanks for the book recommendation.

Quilting Babcia said...

I love your piano key round, and that narrow blue coping border. Perhaps try a narrower white border then another narrow blue before adding the lattice blocks? Whatever you decide it's going to be a great quilt!

RobinaS said...

Love the peachy piano keys border, and the narrow blue border really sets it off. I'm really interested to see where this goes.

Kaja said...

I love this, especially the way you are using your leftovers to such good effect. I love the stars in the corners and all the glorious colour. I'll watch with interest to see how you resolve your border issue.

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm with Julie on the white border piece, you have all this beautiful colour in the centre along with the piano key border, the stars are perfect in the corners there and stars and I do hope you decide to go with the Lattice blocks, it's looking beautiful!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your last photo is joyful... the colours flow and I like the variety in your borders. Very keen to see what comes next...