Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Trip Around the Block Border Ideas

The blocks are together. To make the quilt large enough I need to make another set of blocks around all sides or add a border. Here are some borders I've been considering.

A scrap of this border made a star center in the middle of one of the O-blocks and reminded me to look for this fabric in my stash. It influenced the direction of my fabric choices but the border is a bit narrow for such a large quilt. And there is not enough to complete the border. So I either need to find some fabrics to enlarge (and lengthen) it or save it for a lap quilt.
Sawtooth border fabric
I bought this Henry Glass fabric recently because it looked like a perfect binding or narrow border. The colors actually blend with the sawtooth border fabric.

Repeat stripe border fabric
This is a border I drafted using six-pointed stars. It's not pieced yet so the stars are still too large. If I use it the stars will be multicolored. The innermost fabric is an old Nancy Crow ombre stripe followed by a sweet pink random dot print. I love the black & white stripe but are there too many dots?

Pieced star border
On graph paper the space between the stars is the same length as the star width. But what if the stars lined up with the X-block centers?

Pieced star border aligned with X-blocks
Linked to Work in Progress Wednesday.

Fret not; enjoy the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unless it is a very personal message, I reply here where anyone can read and join in. It just seems friendlier. Feel free to join any thread.