Saturday, March 25, 2017

Meanwhile There are Still Chinese Coins

The Coin trios {or triads or triplets?} using only fabric from the scrap bag are coming along better than expected. A nice change from Spiderweb quilting. They are arranged vertically so I can concentrate on that layout.

I sorted the scraps and decided to concentrate on greens and blues. Not exclusively, but for the most part. With seven partial rows it's looking kind of boring so I'm adding narrow bits of reds. {Those wider reds are not sewed right now. I'm comparing the effect of narrow versus wide.}


There was one long strip of fabric from the back of the Spiderweb quilt. After placing it on the design wall as ersatz sashing, I found I really like the look. Why? Perhaps because it's a quiet mix of blue, green, brown, and white. There's no more but I plan to scour my stash to see what else I haven't considered that might work.

I also have some longer strips at the left. Since I haven't decided how to use them, they'll remain long for a while.

I snapped a photo of the dome in the Chinese Pavilion at Disneyworld last year. The entire dome wouldn't fit in my view; I finally decided this was more "artistic." I was trying to clean out my digital photo albums which includes an amazing number of duplicates and out-of-focus shots of feet and sky. Does anyone else manage to take random/extra shots while picking up or putting down cameras?

Dome of the Chinese Pavilion,
Disneyworld

Squirrel! This could be a Chinese Coins using highly patterned fabric as Coins. The vertical columns could narrow towards the top or even change width like these. {Wow. Such an original plan. Patting myself on the back.}

Then while browsing through Sarah Nishiura's website yesterday, this quilt struck a chord. Doesn't it also look like a partial view of a domed ceiling? And a Chinese Coin variation? Nothing new under the sun. I'm still going forward with mine since I thought of the plan before noticing Sarah's.

How did I find her? This quilt was included in one of Rod Kiracofe's recent exhibits. He shared that he'd literally pulled it off his neighbors' bed to put in the show! Don't you love the quiet coloration, so relaxing for a bedroom. And all the men's shirting - oxford cloth, broadcloth, twill, with bits of quilting cotton to add tiny sparks. Great use of fabric.

Enjoy the day, Ann



19 comments:

Julierose said...

Just love how your Coins are coming along...you have a lot of blues and greens to work with..are you using the same fabric more than once? I like the addition of the wider red strip...hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

You are sharing some of the best links with these AHIQ related posts -- thank you! I hope to have a second coins top to share . . . fingers crossed that life cooperates!

Mel Beach said...

The dome picture is gorgeous!! And I am looking forward to watching your chinese coins progress!!

Janie said...

Sarah's got a beautiful interesting style, thanks for sharing.
Work on your coins looks great.
The dome photo is full of inspiration, you could do so much with that.

Ann said...

Yes, Julie Rose. These are still bits from the scrap bag which, as always, needs to be reduced. So there are some repeats and some singletons. Now that I have all these blues and greens, it's time to add more colors. You and I both like red.

Ann said...

I hope to have mine done soon but several things have "jumped the line." I'm so excited to see what everyone else has completed next week.

Ann said...

It's funny how Chinese Coins pop up everywhere now. I certainly didn't see it when I took the photo.

Ann said...

Sarah's work is fabulous. And her colorations probably look much better on a bed than the multicolored things I do. Something for me to mull over.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

So interesting watching your progress with these 'chines coins' - it's looking good. Thanx for the link too!

Ann said...

Once we start looking for a certain style it amazes me how frequently that pops up. I see Chinese Coins everywhere now... especially if I widen my definition. Ha.

Mary Marcotte said...

Oh wow! So many answers/responses/conversations that I'd love to share with you from this one post. Let's see: I am a camera goof...I generally get pictures of feet and butts (not mine, thank goodness!) but on the way up or down as I move the camera. Sooo, yes.
Plus, Sarah's quilt is dome-like. I actually see a curvature in it that sort of makes me dizzy. My eyes flicker back and forth--curve, straight, curve, straight--you get the idea. It's cool though that it can do that. And I have no idea how she managed straight lines going up. That probably took math beyond my skill set.
Finally, (but I'm not really done) your quilts are my personal squirrels. Every time I see one I want to do something with strings. Naturally I'm reminded that I have some 2 1/2 inch strips that have been waiting for years. Years! Like I need another project. Years, I am reminded.

Mary Marcotte said...

Hold on...did you see this one? Talk about domed!
http://www.sarahnishiura.com/quilt%20pages/big%20quilt%20pages/big%20quilt17.html

patty a. said...

I am not going to get another Chinese Coin quilt done or even started. There too many other projects demanding my attention right now to start another one. I will keep in mind the one you are working on. I have many bins of scraps that would be perfect for a scrappy Chinese Coin quilt.

Kaja said...

Nothing new under the sun! I really like those tiny bits of red and pink that you are adding to the mix and it's interesting to see you take the Chinese Coins idea and run with it through several iterations. I love your photo (my speciality is taking photos with the lens cap on). I am taken with the idea of all that dense pattern, as well as the thought that you could tweak sashing to get the dome effect. I love Sarah Nishiura but hadn't seen this quilt before - thanks for the link!

Monica said...

I know that your Chinese pavilion will be completely different, so no worries there. That is the beauty of improv!

Ann said...

I admire the way Sarah's quilt caught the light. I can see highlights in a darker dome- so effective and understated.
I'm glad to know another camera goof and am flattered you like my quilts. I've been thinking this one may become a leader/elder project. After seeing the many beautiful examples last month, including yours, I'm inspired to sort the scraps before using them and like the results. Thanks.

Ann said...

You accomplish so much and I loved your Coin last month. I hope you finish it. Extremely elegant and sophisticated.

Ann said...

Thanks, Kaja. Planning the scraps is a bit of a new idea.
I'm glad you see what I saw in that photo: use of heavily patterned fabric and adjusting the sashing to create a dome.
Searching for examples and including links has been a joy.

Ann said...

How true, Monica. And I hope it gives us all more confidence in our voices and visions.