Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Pi Day 2017

3.14. It's Pi Day! This painting hangs at the Cantor Arts Museum at Stanford University.

Ultramarine blue circle surrounded by an arc of red and light blue sits on an orange background
Maxon's Island by Frank Stella

I had three circle quilt finishes in the past year. One was the Polka Dot quilt from Freddy Dot Com class.

Polka Dot quilt from Freddy Dot Com class
The other was a Crafted Applique pillow using Lara Buccella's method for raw edge applique.

Crafted Applique pillow

Part of the magic of Kaleidoscopes is the optical illusion of circles.

Kaleidoscope quilt

My family always refers to the time before a child was born as "when you were just a twinkle in your father's eye." Here's the quilts that are still just a twinkle in my eye.

Quilty365 blocks are still stacked ready to create a top.

A month of Quilty365 blocks.

New York Beauty was set aside with plans to finish this top this year. We'll see how that goes.

New York Beauty blocks

Spiderweb is almost a circle plus it's almost done.

Spiderweb quilt top

Progress! The stars are finished and I moved to the inner border. There's already so much applique that I simply  meandered around while outlining the leaves and birds. Here's the front

Meander quilting on the applique border

and the back to date.

Spiderweb border quilting from the back

I would be further along but... a friend called. There were two last minute openings at Empty Spools for The Complex Composition with Valerie Goodwin. On two days' notice, we loaded the car with fabric, machines and ideas and off we went.

Valerie is an extremely talented architect, professor, and quilter from Florida. She layers maps, architectural perspective drawings and images to create cohesive compositions. Quilters came from across the country and overseas to participate in this challenging class. We all wish we had another week or two with Valerie.

Empty Spools is held at Asilomar which is now part of the California Park System but originally constructed by the YWCA in the 1910s. Julia Morgan, architect of Hearst Castle  designed many of these buildings in the California Arts and Crafts style.

Much more later. I just need to settle back in.

Enjoy the day, Ann

"What after all has maintained the human race on this old globe despite all the calamities of nature and all the tragic failings of mankind, if not faith in new possibilities and courage to advocate them." - Jane Addams

20 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

I love all the eye candy here, and so look forward to seeing your Quilty 365 as a completed quilt!

Gale Bulkley said...

That's an impressive showing of circle quilts. I am particularly enamoured with the kaleidoscope one.

Monica said...

Asilomar! Oh, envy. Can't wait to hear more!

A good round up of circles. Hey, I have one here too!

patty a. said...

I made a flannel quilt in 2015 with improv pieced Drunkard path blocks, but that is about the only quilt I have made in a long time with any circular design. Your quilts are wonderful and all so different!

em's scrapbag said...

Some wonderful circle quilts! Have a great Pi Day!

Ann said...

Thanks for writing. Don't hold your breath for a quick finish to my Quilty365. So many others in line and I'm still mulling design ideas.

Ann said...

Thanks, Gale. I do like that kaleidoscope. It's one of those I gave to Great Debaters so I will need need to make another for myself.

Ann said...

Let's see your circles!
Like you, I've always wanted to go.

Ann said...

Wow, Patty. Flannel is so stretchy. You must be very good to make a DP with it.

Ann said...

Thanks, Em. You, too.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Oh goodness, look at your lovely quilting on the back of your 'spiderweb' quilt! And I do like your 'Kaleidoscope' quilt, love how the circles fade in & out with this quilt!

Danice G said...

all very beautiful quilts. I esp. love the New York Beauty. Maybe some day I'll get the courage to attempt one myself :)

Mystic Quilter said...

New York Beauty - I haven't dared take on one of these - I love yours. What size are the blocks?

Ann said...

Thanks, Linda. There are quilting parts I like better than others. I've given the kaleidoscope away but need to make another for myself.

Ann said...

They are not as difficult as you might think; they simply take time and care. Go for it.

Ann said...

They are 9-inches finished I think.

Mary Marcotte said...

Goodness, is this your Year of the Circles?! That New York Beauty is awesome (all of your quilts are) and such a difficult block, I don't even want to attempt it. Enjoy your week!

Ann said...

They aren't that difficult if you paper piece. And Kaja has made some amazing ones free hand. On my list to try. It's a good week here. Hope you're having fun, too.

Kaja said...

Nice to see all these quilts in one place - 2016 was definitely the year of the circle!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

You've made so many beautiful circle quilts! Your retreat looks wonderful.