Tuesday, October 30, 2018

A Square Deal

Right before sewing things together, I found a huge flaw in my design: it would be just under fifty inches. Too large for a baby quilt and too small for a throw. This one feels like a keeper so it needs to be larger.

A double border overwhelms the small center {no photo} but increasing the block to a 16-patch makes it a bit larger without ruining the design. This works well for me. The layout works, the right scale looks good, and it adds eleven inches to the length. Two weeks later and I'm almost back to square one. Haha.

The Square Deal quilt block

In Jinny Beyer's Quilters Album of Patchwork Patterns, this block {without the strings} is called The Square Deal. It first appeared in the 1932 Kansas City Star. Was it named for Teddy Roosevelt's domestic program whose basic goals included conservation of natural resources, control of corporations and consumer protection? I'm not sure; however, anything that strengthens the middle class, reins in oligarchs, and protects our environment would be welcome to this day.

Work slowly continues on the sawtooth sashing for the New York Beauty/Rocky Mountain Road. Each uses twenty-one triangles. Currently I'm working on a few sets at a time so something is always "almost done." It's so depressing to work for a couple of hours and only see one triangle added to the overall lengths. Just a way to fake myself out.

Sawtooth sashing for
New York Beauty/Rocky Mountain Road

Enjoy the day, Ann

18 comments:

em's scrapbag said...

I find faking oneself out is a great way to make progress. Your square deal blocks look great. Glad you found a solution to make the quilt work.

Robin said...

I know what you mean about 50" not being big or small enough. I'm glad you've figured out a way to make it work because the blocks themselves are so fun to look at.

LA Paylor said...

More can be better. Or you could do top and bottom additions of another block...

Janie said...

Yes, your 'Square Deal' blocks look great and good
progress on your sawtooth sashing.
I like the story behind 'Square Deal.'

Mary Marcotte said...

Those Square Deal blocks do look great! There's wonderful fun in discovering an issue when you think you're near the end. Think of it as an opportunity. Of course, I suggest this thinking when I am far from seeing the end. Let's see what I'm preaching when an opportunity presents itself near the end of my quilts. Have fun, you're pulling together some interesting strings.

audrey said...

Maybe it feels like it's back to square one, but you made an important change that will feel good later on. No regrets and definitely no deciding it has to be taken apart in order to be 'fixed'! lol

Ann said...

Then we work the same way, Em. What depths we plumb to keep our work progressing.

Ann said...

Thanks, Robin. I'm glad I caught it before sewing. Uncommon genius. Haha.

Ann said...

That's an idea I hadn't considered, Lee Ann. It looks good when others make one with two-sided additions. I should try it.

Ann said...

It's fun to get a block together and find the historical roots. I'm delighted with any progress on the sawtooth blocks since that quilt is way overdue.

Ann said...

I'm so glad I figured this out before sewing them together. Believee, that's a rare occurrence. It's a treat to be using strings in new way. My sister has been razzing me for the high number on the Coin quilts. 😉

Ann said...

Good point, Audrey. This will work and I'm ready to move to the next issue. We know how they show up as we progress. And I'm sure something else will need unsewing; if not this auilt then the next

Kaja said...

I agree with Audrey on this - it was important to get the size right and such a good thing you didn't have to unpick! I admire your persistence with the sawtooth border.

Mystic Quilter said...

50" would have been a tricky size, pleased you came up with your solution because I love the colour in those blocks.

Ann said...

Thanks, Kaja. I’m glad it will end up in a better size. Taking this extra time is not my usual MO but working well.

Ann said...

Thanks, Maureen. I love the colors here, too.

starflash quilts said...

Love the red, it really pops 💖

Ann said...

Thanks, Sally.