Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Maps, Sashing, and Humboldt County

When I'm uncertain how to proceed with an idea I just ignore the situation and work on something else that "needs to be done" so I feel like I'm actually progressing... but I'm not. My friend, Mel, laughingly calls it Productive Procrastination.

Somewhere the map from Valerie Goodwin's class devolved into ignorance and, despite my interest in map quilts I'm confused how to sew something other than a paper map re-creation, petrified of making a mistake, worried that the resources will dry up or disappear. As if I'd ever run out of fabric in my lifetime.

To avoid facing these issues, I've been sewing sawtooth sashing for the Rocky Mountain Trails/New York Beauty quilt. A good thing since they've been in a pile for a couple of years. With 38 complete now, I'm halfway through.

Sawtooth sashing strips

I finally forced myself to start cutting and sewing fabric for my first map quilt. Funny thing. As I sewed, the project became easier. Yes, there are mistakes places I'm not completely satisfied with my work; however, the top went together much more quickly than expected. And many new ideas are inspiring me to create more map quilts. Details of the map project are on AdHoc Improv Quilts.

With the map top completed, there was absolutely no quilting this weekend. Instead we visited friends in Humboldt County. First we drove through coastal redwood forests. Topping out near 400 feet, they are the largest trees on earth, grow in cool regions near the ocean from San Simeon north into Oregon, and collect much of their water from fog.

Humboldt Redwoods State Park: Founder's Grove

Taking a break, we walked the Founders' Grove loop at Humboldt Redwoods. It's less than a mile, very flat, and includes some of the largest trees in the park. The opening in this redwood is much taller than me; my outstretched hands couldn't touch the top. Inside the hollow extended two or three stories. How many people have sheltered in this cozy room over millennia? Top right is the root structure of a toppled redwood. Bottom right is the 346-foot Founders Tree. I never could get the entire tree in a photo. That sign is about two-feet high.

It was foggy and chilly. Temperatures on the road were mid-60s (17 degrees C) but dropped to the 40s on the trail. Brr.

Back in the car and on to Eureka where we toured the Dick Taylor Chocolate factory. This "bean to bar" chocolatier started when two carpenters read about chocolates on the way to a wedding. They purchase beans from several places to make single source chocolates. On the table are two cocoa pods with a roaster behind them. Afterwards they let us sample all their varieties. I liked the Belize but the others preferred Madagascar chocolate.

Dick Taylor Chocolate factory tour

With beautifully clear weather we took an afternoon harbor cruise on the Madaket, the oldest boat in continuous service in the US. It also contains the smallest licensed US bar. Don't you love all the qualifiers?  We saw several islands with numerous birds and sea lions.

Madaket harbor cruise ship

Sunday morning meant a trip to Los Bagels. On their opening day they had a problem with the bagel maker. Instead of bagel shapes, they got slugs - oval shapes with no hole in the center. They cooked those anyway, topping them with a mix of dried onion, garlic, and seeds which they named Slug Slime. They are a big hit to this day as well as a lesson to us all. Not every mistake is a disaster. Open-minded thinking can help us all reorient our results.

Los Bagels, Arcata CA

Enjoy the day, Ann

24 comments:

Sharon Leahy said...

Smiles, the Pacific Northwest is fabulous country -- clean air, gorgeous views, mostly mellow people .... took the link in your post to explore and just love that two-sided blue quilt - it's so happy, which isn't easy to do with blue colors, so really a fab quilt for many reasons! Nice work! Glad you got time to run and play in the Redwoods.

Nann said...

"Productive Procrastination" is a good name for a quilt.

Ann said...

You are fortunate to live in such h beautiful country, Sharon. I'd like to visit more. Thanks for writing.

Ann said...

It is, Nann. Mel is a champ at making fabulous quilts from disparate or boring starts. What an eye she has. Thanks for writing.

cspoonquilt said...

Productive Procrastination, that's for me!!! Redwood forests are so special, so grand, ancient and peaceful I feel very fortunate to live near some very nice Redwood groves where I can visit often!!! The Madaket is so cute! And with a dinky little Bar, who 'da thought! Thanks for the Humboldt tour, I've been there many times but missed a lot of those sites, definitely going back!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wonderful post -- I especially like your opening about the map challenge. I read it aloud to DH and he promptly grabbed a sketch pad and drew his view of a map (no preconceptions or other data to cloud his thoughts). I have saved it and hope to create a mini quilt with it for the challenge. SO interesting how ideas appear.

LA Paylor said...

I just had a similar discussion with a person, on what to do with a roadblock. Sometimes I walk away feeling I'll have fresh perspective later and do. Sometimes I write to the quilt (a la David Walker) and say what I want from it, ask what it wants, etc and answers usually surface. Sometimes I leave the problem child up on the wall and do something else in the room til an answer surfaces.

You are brilliant at design, and I wonder if you are stuck thinking of it as Valerie's style instead of taking it your way? She was for learning or prompting but you have a style yourself.
What do you want from this piece? What mood or feel, what colors or lines? What meaning? Take it with you on your journey. Can't wait to see what you decide, it will be very interesting either way. I like the term productive procrastination.

I use the term back burner, or sitting in a corner to think about what it did!
LeeAnna

LA Paylor said...

Oh and these kinds of posts are very informative and relate-able as we all hit roadblocks.

audrey said...

I had to laugh at your productive procrastination! Guilty as charged, many times.:) Those Redwoods are incredible. Hoping to go back some day and spend more time.

Sue said...

Fun post for me to read. I have a special connection to HumCo and Eureka especially as my DH was born and raised there. We visit at least a couple of times a year (it's close for us). Lots of ancestors and a few cousins still in residence. His grandfather was once the captain of the Madaket, back when it ferried workers from downtown Eureka out to the mills across the bay.

KaHolly said...

An excellent lesson to learn and share, and what a lovely day to be learning life lessons! I certainly had a nice read. Thank you for sharing.

Ann said...

We enjoyed the weekend and want to return soon as there are many more sites to see.

Ann said...

I can't wait to read his thoughts and see what you make of them. Everyone is so clever and original. I had no idea the breadth maps could have.

Ann said...

Ah, you have many good ways to work through roadblocks. I will refer to your post frequebtly.
So much better than ignoring the problem.

Ann said...

You seem much better about pulling delayed projects back out and revitalizing them. When I pull an old one out I usually continue with the old idea. That's what caused the problem. I need to start coming at them with fresh eyes.

Ann said...

What a treat! The current captain spoke of the original captains and ferry work. It's certainly beautiful. A great place to live.

Ann said...

I'm glad you saw the life lesson of the "slugs" like I did. Thanks.

patty a. said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time. I have never been the to the NW, but I sure want to go there someday. I haven't even started on my map. Work had taken such a toll on me this year. Working 48 to 50 hours a week not including travel time, has just sucked the life out of me.

Ann said...

I'm sorry work has overwhelmed you this year. I've had times like that, too. This is a tough challenge. Mine is just basic but a series might help me understand it.
The NW is so different. I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to visit at times.

Mel Beach said...

Productive Procrastination means you clear off some items from your plate so when you are mentally ready for the project--you can focus 100% on it!!! Or at least that is what I keep telling myself... ;-)

Ann said...

What makes me feel even better. Do you think there's a chance I might run out of old items? Hahaha.

Kaja said...

One of the things on my husband's wishlist is to see giant redwoods (we do have them here, but as imports they never grow as big). I like Productive Procrastination - must remember that phrase.

Ann said...

I think they are only native to the northwest coast of America. Some of those are many hundred years old. I hope you find the time to see them in person.

Marei said...

Ah...Eureka! My home for 15 of the best years of my life! I've eaten more Los Bagels than anyone should admit to, but I have to say the Dick Taylor Chocolate factory wasn't part of the scene when I lived there or we would have been on a first name basis with each other....guaranteed!