Tuesday, May 21, 2019

One More Sashed Chinese Coins Baby Quilt

This is not the last of the Chinese Coins from the "top that didn't work" but it's the last of the pastel solids I cut. Why, oh why do I always overcut? These baby quilts are heading to children in different cities so it's {a bit more} acceptable to have similar layouts. Ok, I'll admit it. I gave into temptation to move them out because they are cute, easy, and the right size. Less thinking required.

The inner border is navy, not black, and the border is a fun green and yellow stripe I purchased in abundance because stripes are great for borders and binding. But the quilt looks unfinished.

Five narrow columns of Chinese Coin strips are each sashed with a different solid pastel cotton. They are enclosed by a narrow black border and a wider green and yellow striped outer border.
Chinese Coins with sherbet sashing quilt (CCXIV)

What can I applique on it? What about tulips? The two Coins in the center row with printed tulips gave me the idea. Plus those rows of them looked so good on the first quilt like this. Audrey's Scrappy Tulips is a stellar example of the flowers running through my mind. I almost made them but then wondered if they would clash against the Coins background. Also, the center doesn't bother me as much as the boring border.

What about rabbits instead? Sue Garman designed Bunny Block Sampler, a charming quilt with running hares around the border. Unfortunately my border is too narrow to hold rabbits.

A silhouette of a rabbit made with a large scale floral on white is appliqued in the lower right corner of the quilt.
Chinese Coins with sherbet sashing quilt
and an applique rabbit (CCXIV)

Eventually I chose one upright rabbit that fits well in the corner. The template is here. I tried to draw my own rabbit. My folk-art ones are not too bad but they were either too small or too large; I could never get them just right. This one is more realistic and... I'm not an artist. Besides, I wasn't sure if this would work at all.

I traced it on a white print, turned the seams under and machined stitched it with an overlock design. Not too bad for a first attempt. Success built my confidence. I believe I can hand draw my own designs in future. Several ideas are running through my mind. {Breeding like rabbits.} Hooray. Practice with a known design is building my creativity.

Enjoy the day, Ann

32 comments:

patty a. said...

Another cute baby quilt! The rabbit adds just that extra touch to make it even more special.

Julierose said...

That bunny is so cute--counting up the coins..nice addition hugs, Julierose

Cindy said...

I LOVE your Chinese Coins quilts!!! I cannot get enough! And the rabbit was the perfect finishing touch!!!

Pam said...

So totally adorable!!! Love it!

Sujata Shah said...

Ann, I think it is genus to stick with one pattern to succeed with gifts. I love these Chinese coin quilts. Just by changing one element you can personalize the quilts. I have got to keep this in mind! Beautiful finish!

Paulette said...

Very cute! I love the pastel borders for the coin strips, and that bunny is a nice touch!

Unknown said...

This reminds me of that quilt Nancy Zieman did for a group project at Quilt Expo several years ago. I loved hers & I really love yours! Great job!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I always overcut for my quilts, too -- plenty of pieces to use but maddening when they just won't go away without making more and more quilts from them (to borrow a phrase from another quilter - like the story "give a mouse a cookie" syndrome). LIKE that bunny in the corner.

Nann said...

The bunny is the perfect touch! Just think of overcutting as sowing the seeds for a new scrap quilt.

Quilting Babcia said...

Love that bunny, and I love that quilt!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love the addition of the bunny, such a cute way to make this 'coins' quilt different from the others!

audrey said...

It's definitely turned into a great start for several wonderful baby quilts though, so something good is coming out of the over-cutting! There's nothing wrong with using someone elses template if it does what you want it to do. And on't forget the copy machine when you need to make a design larger or smaller, whether it's your own drawing or someone's template that just isn't the right size for your project.:) Love that your bunny is in that sweet looking floral print. Great choice. Really gives the quilt a lovely, whimsical feel that is perfect for almost any baby quilt!

Ann said...

Thanks, Patty. I think the rabbit makes it a bit more special.

Ann said...

You're so funny. Counting the coins, indeed.

Ann said...

Thank you, Cindy. They are a fun way to use the last strings.

Ann said...

Thank you, Pam.

Kaja said...

Cute, easy and the right size sounds like a very good way to go about these baby quilts and I'm still enjoying watching you tweak your formula each time. I like your rabbit a lot and you have got me thinking about what a good background the coins make for this sort of addition.

Barb said...

What a fun way to set a strippy quilt! Love this idea. cute bunny and I love the blue tulips peaking out

Janie said...

Good idea for a quilt for a little one. Nice colors and rabbits are fun. There are a lot of new baby rabbits around here lately, spring time!
It's fun watching their antics.
I'm sure your quilt will be loved.

Ann said...

This is a good point, Sujata. I do tend to find a simple block and repeat it for a while when making baby quilts so I shouldn't be surprised I've used Coins so many times. It's my current go-to block. And it is fun to change only one or two things a time. As you say, it personalizes the gift.

Ann said...

Thanks. It makes a good baby quilt.

Ann said...

I haven't seen Nancy's project. Thanks for the information. I will look for it.

Ann said...

Yes, we are two of a kind there. But the scraps do seem to multiply, don't they? The bunny makes a good baby quilt addition.

Ann said...

Good point, Nann, although I have enough seeds to plant a forest.

Ann said...

Thanks. The colors and bunny make a charming baby quilt.

Ann said...

Thanks, Linda. I'm glad each is a tiny bit different.

Ann said...

You and I have both written this but I have a compulsion to use the scraps first. I almost always go through the scrap bag before my stash. It's good to have some simple patterns to use them up and lots of babies to need them. Ha.
Thanks for the tip about the copier. I forgot.
I'm glad you like that floral, too. I've wanted to try using "non-representative" colors. This is the first time I've actually done it. Your work inspires me to try.

Ann said...

You're so right. We want baby quilts to be attractive but useable. And I don't want to spend a year making one either. I keep intending to applique flowers or vines on these Coins but still haven't done that. It's interesting that such as simple pattern has so many variations.

Ann said...

Thanks, Barb. I loved that tulip fabric but didn't use it for a long time. Once I did, I've found so many other places it would work. Wish I had more.

Ann said...

Thanks, Janie. I think this is a good baby quilt, too. Enjoy the rabbits. I haven't see many here but we have loads of squirrels.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh that bunny rabbit is so cute!! It certainly does add to the border and the fabric you've used gives a touch of Springtime to the quilt. Looking forward to seeing your own designs Ann.

Ann said...

Thank you, Maureen. We've been traveling quite a bit and/or I've been tired. I am behind on the blog and very behind on the comments. Baby quilts are a good place to use up leftovers and try out something new. The smaller size and the expected heavy use lend themselves to experiments and clearing out. Ha.