Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Queueing up the Quilting

Three new tops are ready to sandwich once the backs are sewed. I've found it easiest to lay the top on the floor and cover it with fabrics until the back is large enough. Sometime I'll make a back like Julie's. What a great way to dress up the back side of a quilt. But not this time. After I sew them up, I'll spend the day pinning all of these plus the Chinese Coins with Roses top. All four will take one queen-size batt and I won't have to worry about storing a partial batt.

Three small tops are laid out so backing fabric can be properly sized. The fabrics are grouped by color to create monochromatic backs in blue or peach.
Designing three quilt backs

I'm keeping the Roses because I've been asked to show my guild how to make them but the baby quilts are all promised. I'd still like to have some finished ones on hand. I'll have to look through the bin again. Surely there are more partial blocks hanging around.

In the meantime, it's been flooding in Houston and Dallas. Fortunately my traveling has been on the dry days because you definitely want to stay inside in these downpours. Then we went to Oregon for a graduation. Precipitation accompanied that trip.

My brilliant idea was to go to Crater Lake on the way up. We've always wanted to see it; the Lodge just opened for the season. We drove past Klamath Lake, the largest fresh-water body in Oregon. It's the geologic remnant of pluvial Lake Modoc which was ten times larger and formed about 10,000 years ago during the last Ice Age. {Pluvial lakes form when temperature rises near glacial regions.}

A view from the highway running along the east side of the lake shows the train tracks, the grey water, and the lowering clouds.
Klamath Lake on a cloudy day

Bits of snow hid in the shade as we entered the park but it was waist high by the time we got to the Lodge which sits at the rim of Crater Lake.


The lobby of the lodge has rustic rocking chairs and easy chairs as well a wooden staircase to the second floor.
Crater Lake Lodge

And then it started to snow.

The view from the deck is completely shrouded by falling snow. It's piling up on the deck chairs and tables, too.
The deck at Crater Lake Lodge

We were told this is a wonderful view of the Lake... if hadn't been snowing. We are {allegedly} right on the edge of the lake. Not that we could see anything. Neither the near nor far side.

Still, we enjoyed touring the Lodge and reading about it's reconstruction. And we hope to return on a more auspicious day.

The sun broke out as we crossed the border so DH took a photo of Mt. Shasta. Another future trip.

View of Mount Shasta against a bright blue sky.
Mt Shasta

Enjoy the day, Ann

14 comments:

Elle said...

I'm sorry you missed the beauty of Crater Lake. Snow doesn't surprise me though. We went mid-July in 1998 and the road around the east side was still closed d/t snow! Safe travels :-)

patty a. said...

Those will be some pretty backs! I have recently bought on sale mind you, both coral and aqua fabrics to make some baby quilts. Hopefully I will have the time to cut into them soon. That lodge looks so relaxing and inviting. Too bad you couldn't see the lake. I remember it snowing one day in Pennsylvania in May when I was at college at Slippery Rock. We got about 6" of snow!

LA Paylor said...

I'd like to go there too, thank you for the tour Ann.

Kaja said...

I like the idea of laying out more than one quilt on your batting at a time. I might try that. Snow in May just doesn't seem fair, somehow.

Julierose said...

WOw Crate Lake Lodge looks just amazing...
Hugs, Julierose

Janie said...

I love your roses! I think it's wonderful you're going to show your guild how you piece them.
Yes, Crater Lake Lodge is high altitude. I've gone up there several times since high school days, always an adventure and sometimes a surprise.

Ann said...

Wow. They are closing Rim Road twice in August so bicyclists can ride it. Nothing said about the possibility of snow. I hope you did at least see the lake.
This seems to be the year of wild weather.

Ann said...

Thanks, Patty. After years of random, old fabrics on the back I'm glad to use some that match a bit better. I hope to see your new fabrics soon. Funny how we always need baby quilts, even when we are long past those years ourselves.
Six inches in May sounds wild. They didn't need the snowplow but I was glad we got down safely.

Ann said...

I'd still like to see it sometime. Old photos show motor and sail boats on the lake. Hopefully they don't allow those anymore. Not sure if they even allow canoes.

Ann said...

It always seems like such a chore to baste quilts. So far, this method works better for me although I only do it with small quilts. Trying to use up an entire batt at one time.
I agree about snow in May.

Ann said...

It's not as impressive as the ones at Yellowstone or Yosemite but it was still charming. I loved the way they framed the windows with lengths of pine with the bark left on.

Ann said...

This was my first trip. I'm not sure when we will go again but I'd still like to see the Lake in person.
I need to get busy writing instructions and sewing samples for the Roses.

Mystic Quilter said...

Pleased to see that you're out and about travelling again! I had never thought of laying pieces of fabric out in order to reach the size required, at least not using multiple pieces of fabric, I'd like to try this I have heaps of smaller pieces which would be ideal.

Ann said...

It's such a good way to use all those bits up. They are good fabric but just get lost in the piles.