Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Working the Border

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard a work worth doing."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Quilting


Last week the black border didn't add anything to the conversation but the quilt still needed more contrast. I pieced more hourglasses with some black added to the pink and blues for the border then spent a while laying them out. This arrangement makes a striking zig zag but is much too strong for the weak center. {I'll have to remember it for another time.}

Hourglass blocks alternate blocks with pink or black outside to create a zig zag pattern.
Zig zag border arrangement

Black to the outside and pink inside makes a much better border but the corners need to be resolved. Removing some hourglasses to add the sashing means there's almost enough for a second quilt if they aren't used in the corners. This notion prompted another search through the stash for possible corners.
Even though the other colors in that floral are pink and blue, it reads orange. Not a solution. However, the blue choices might work.
A collage of three photos shows the effect of peach and blue fabrics in the corner of the border
Trying different corners

I settled on the gingham because it contrasts with all the florals and polka dots. Some might remember it as the binding on the Rose quilt.

What an improvement from last week!

Once this quilt is finished, the second should go together easily and will finish off those polka dots. But there's a slight hitch - the machine must have a tune up. I've been told the BSR software needs an update, too. I have a second machine but it doesn't have a walking foot.

Reading

The book cover shows a walking woman in a chador.I just finished Celestial Bodies by Omani author Jokha Alharthi and translated by Marilyn Booth which won the Man-Booker prize last year. {The Man-Booker is given to the best book translated into English and published in England as opposed to the Booker is for the best fiction first published in England.} Written in various viewpoints with many flashbacks, it tells the story of a large family including three sisters, their father, and one daughter as well as other people from their ancestral village as Oman transitions from slavery to an oil-producing state.

Interesting note: One woman sewed on a Singer with a butterfly decal. I've never seen one like that. Was is a treadle {most likely} or a featherweight?



Vintage pattern shows four variations of the half apron. Three are gathered and one is triangular. Square and diamond pockets are also shown.
Simplicity half apron pattern 
Gifting
While sorting I found a vintage apron pattern and would be happy to pass it on to someone who would use it. Let me know in the comments.

Enjoy the day, Ann

33 comments:

Nann said...

Wow, that was fast! You went from stuck with unappealing blocks to a lively quilt. The border makes such a difference -- having the white-on-black triangles on the outside help to stretch the design. Maybe the corners could be black and pink?

Julierose said...

I like that sashing--makes the HG's come alive! I like the black/turquoise corner on the left last photo....
hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

I like the gingham -- and the revised orientation of the border blocks. Good luck with the machine update/tune up.

patty a. said...

That border is fabulous! The blue corner blends in nicely and looks great. I am so glad you found a solution since you were stuck last week. Both my machines needs attention. I have been so crazy busy with family the last 5 days I haven't had time to get one of them packed up to ship. I need to make that a priority tonight!

LA Paylor said...

that's when a woman might wear one while entertaining, as a uniform to her housewife prowess, as a fashion statement. Adding beauty to function. Imagine cooking in that tight skirt, confining buttoned up blouse and those heels. So different now, if I cook at all. DH loves to wear a chef coat when he cooks.

Preeti said...

I have struggled with a similar quilt in the past. I can relate regarding lack of contrast. Looks like you came up with a good plan to rescue the cute hour-glass blocks. I am sure the next one will be much more to your liking.

QuiltGram said...

Beautiful transformation. Congratulations

Robin said...

I love the sashing and you're right about the pink being better on the inside of the border. It's looking great.

Phyllis in Iowa said...

Your quilt is lovely.
I collect, restore vintage and antique sewing machines. A sewing machine with a butterfly decal was manufactured in China and unfortunately, not as high quality as the old Singers, Whites, etc. The Butterfly machine may have been electrified, treadled or hand cranked. Hand crank sewing machines ar eportable, require little storage space and can be used anywhere. Today hand cranks are very desirable ro colletors while in the past were the least expensive option. Times have changed.

Mel Beach said...

What a difference rotating the black triangles to the outside makes! Amazing!

Ruth said...

I am interested in the apron pattern, if you are giving it away still. You have my email with this comment. I live in Maryland. If you need $$ for shipping, let me know! I look forward to hearing from you!

Ruth said...

That is, I presume you have my email. ruthwheelatgmail.com

Mystic Quilter said...

Excellent idea to have the black triangles on the outside, they make a lovely border but I sympathise with you finding a happy solution with the corners.

Ann said...

I thought it was slow. Baby quilts aren’t supposed to be tough. I’m amazed, too, at the difference the striped dashing and especially the black triangle bother make to this quilt.

Ann said...

It made a huge difference. I got the idea when I pulled the blocks apart last week the. Had to find some white that would work.

Ann said...

Me, too. I try to schedule machine repairs when I’m on vacation so I don’t have so much withdrawal time. Didn’t work this time.

Ann said...

Thanks, Patty. That border makes the quilt. Who’d have thought turquoise and black would work together so well?
Good luck with your family business and getting your machines fixed. I’m still waiting for mine to return.

Ann said...

My grandmother dressed like that. Very stylish. I wear a half apron because she did but most of my mess is on top. Sigh.

Ann said...

It is a problem. When I work this out I think I’ll repeat it. Almost enough to make a second and the units are sewn. And I need more baby quilts.

Ann said...

Thanks.

Ann said...

Thanks, Robin. It’s making a strong comeback from that mess.

Ann said...

That’s interesting, Phyllis. I enjoy catching little remarks about sewing when reading. It’s fun to see how an author portrays it task.

Ann said...

Yes, isn’t it?

QuiltGranma said...

the black triangles really help frame the quilt! Wonderful~

Ann said...

This is working out. A good change from the mess it was last week. The corners are the last bit to figure out.

Kaja said...

I love this solution - the sashing and border have turned it into a completely different quilt - a much stronger design but still not overwhelming the pretty pinks and turquoises. Lessons to be remembered too!

audrey said...

I like the gingham a lot. Great fix to your blocks, adding the sashing and then a striking border. I really don't know how some people manage without having pieced borders in their repertoire! lol Corners are a real weakness for me, a place where my brain sort of freezes. Will wait to see what you come up with rather than throw in my two cents.:)

Monica said...

You really turned this around fast! The sashing and border just transform the whole thing. Very inspirational!

Ann said...

DM me your address, Ruth.

Ann said...

They made the most difference, didn't they? Thanks.

Ann said...

Now the pink and turquoise become the background. I wasn't sure what to do with those hourglasses but knew I wasn't going to take them apart.

Ann said...

I agree, Audrey. Why make a beautiful center {or not in this case} and then simply slap some wide strips on the side. It works every once in a while but pieced or appliqued borders really finish a quilt. I have the same problem with corners. Every time. Especially if the blocks don't just naturally fit there.

Ann said...

Even though it's the prompt, I need to get this out the door ASAP. Babies don't wait. Especially if my DH is the one passing the info along. He usually waits till the last minute so fewer last minutes for me.