Tuesday, June 30, 2020

String Star Finished

When presidents lose the trust of the public, I think it's very difficult 
if not impossible for them to govern this country.
~Robert Dallek

Quilting

Just a matter of curiosity, but do you realize all these string sections are 45 degree isosceles triangles or 45 degree diamonds {which are really two of those isosceles triangles?} It's another way to make a string quilt besides square and rectangular blocks.

Once each larger section was sewn I made four right triangles for the corners. You can see I'm running out of lights. These are getting into the mediums. At this point the quilt is about 54" across but it seems to need a border.

Four right triangles of string pieced light value fabrics add to the previous octagonal shape to make a square quilt of many string pieced diamonds.
Corner triangles added to string star quilt

So I straightened the edges and made a mess. And straightened again. Eventually they were trimmed almost to the star points because I couldn't seem to square it up properly. {Grr. What a fiasco.} With a narrow medium dark blue border, everything looks fine... as long as you don't know how much of the edge I "trimmed" off.

An inch wide dark blue print forms a narrow border around the string pieced star diamonds.
String Star quilt with a narrow border

By this time, I was ready for something easy and chose spiral quilting. I know how to do this well. It's important to hold the quilt square as the needle travels in circles. That way there are no waving edges.

The finished quilt has a light eight pointed star in the center surrounded by 24 dark string pieced diamonds that form a larger eight-pointed star that rest on a background of more light strings.
String Star quilt

Of course, it's even easier with orange peels in the center to keep me from having to turn the quilt in such tight circles.

The back of the quilt shows the two quilting designs on a white print.
View of orange peel and spiral quilting from the back
The back is three white prints. Not much to see in a photo but soft to touch.

The binding didn't need to contrast with the narrow border and there was enough of this navy binding in my leftover box. It made it around the quilt... barely.

Folded quilt highlights front, back, binding, and quilting.
Quilting and binding details of String Star quilt

There are still strings in the scrap bag for at least one more quilt. How can that small bag hold so many of them?

Quilt Specifics
Size: 52" x 52"
Design: String Diamond blocks
Batting: Mountain Mist Cream Rose cotton
Thread: Superior 50 wt grey cotton thread
Quilting: Orange peel center with spiral walking foot
Approximate yardage: 8 yds {a guesstimate of all the strings}

Previous post: String Diamonds

One of the Hatchet quilts was recently gifted to the new son of a coworker. He has a big sister so this slightly larger quilt went to her. I told her it was a star like she is but she decided the center is a lake and she's even found some fish in the water! Kids are so clever.

Projects Around the House

The perfect project has been staring me in the face: scanning and shredding our massive paper files. So many years neatly stored in tall filing cabinets. We never refer to them but feel compelled to keep them. DH bought me a new scanner last year making it very easy to repackage the files into pdf format. The critical path is the composting bin. Once it fills I'm through for the week. Two of twelve drawers are purged. 

I have plans to donate the file cabinets once they are cleared out. Paper copies are so 20th century. 

Voting

Our national election scheduled for November is 126 days away. Are you registered to vote? Are all the young people you know registered? Can you help them register? Democracy works when we ALL participate. Change won't happen without votes.

Monthly FUR (Fabric Use Rate) 

This was my only finish in June. Keeping a record points out how many quilt tops are started and how few are finished. I need to move the tops along next month. YTD = 111.75 yards.

Enjoy the day, Ann

28 comments:

Julierose said...

The string star came out beautifully--I like the "medium" corners--they frame the light strings so well.
Hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

The star is much bigger than I thought I was going to be. How big did you cut the triangles? The quilt turned out fabulous! Now if you need more scraps I have like 7 or 8 bins of them! You have done really well reducing you fabric load! I have made a bit of a dent in mine for once. I did buy some flannel for a quilt for a specific person though. So far this year I bought 20 yards and have used 73.5. A big part of that was making all those masks for work.

Janie said...

Congratulations, that's a beauty!

Quiltdivajulie said...

We have done the scan and shred process several times over the past couple of years. Now we use the file cabinet drawers to store non-paper items like computer cords (purged annually), extensions cords, power strips (also purged annually), cell phone paraphernalia (purged when a new one arrives), etc. No sense in buying shelves and bins/boxes when we have the empty drawers with easy to use label holders. Next group for me to tackle is medical records back more years than I care to admit. need to keep the info but not all the bills and insurance statements. (oh, and one drawer in one of the cabinets is for stuff to take to the shredder place - cheap and faster than burning up our home unit).

LA Paylor said...

so good... and your posts are so thoughtful I'm proud to know you
LeeAnna

Helen L said...

that's a beautiful quilt! What a beautiful idea for using up string scraps, and you made it look so wonderful! Hugs, H

Mystic Quilter said...

Such a beautiful finish Ann, the narrow border was a great idea! I wonder what you're going to make the the scraps left in the bag. Sorting out years of files in the cabinet and boxes stacked in an empty closet is on our 'to do' list, we seem to keep putting it on hold and going with something less daunting, but it will have to done - and soonish. You mention voting in November, of course we have followed all the 'happenings' coming from the USA and I do hope folks come out and vote, as you say the change can't happen if everyone stays home.

Sujata Shah said...

Ann, This quilt is brilliant! I know you went through the headache of squaring it up but it looks fantastic! Keeping track of yardage being used is a great idea! I might start doing that once I actually start sewing on the machine again.

audrey said...

I winced at reading through the part about trying to square things up. Uggh.. Hate when quilts are determined to be difficult. This is such a great looking quilt. That last bit of border color adds a wonderful extra color and then the spiral quilting is just perfection. I wondered how it would work with the string stars, but it really adds a fabulous energy! Great looking finish!

Preeti said...

Breathtakingly Beautiful!!! I could say I love it but I am in awe of it is truer sentiment. I am on the same page as you about spiral quilting. In fact, I am quilting a scrappy quilt in much the same way. Yes, I am registered to vote. Last election, Paul gave a ride to one of our neighbors to the polling location...even when he knew that she voted for the other candidate. That is fine. I want the government to represent its citizens - all citizens. At this time it is clearly not the case.

Ann said...

Thanks, Julierose. They look better than I first thought, perhaps because they were trimmed so much.

Ann said...

I don't know exactly how the the triangles were. I made the hypotenuse larger than the side of the octagon. Thanks but no thanks for more scraps right now. It's not that I won't buy fabric but I want to make sure I've used up what's here first. Masks and pillowcases really reduced my stash. Tracking of the usage rate helps.

Ann said...

Thanks, Janie.

Ann said...

We older people are really accustomed to keeping paper files. It's taken a while to realize that they aren't coming in any more. No checks returned for years. Using the drawers to store electronics sounds good.

Ann said...

Thanks, LeeAnna. Here's hoping for long-term change on so many levels.

Ann said...

Thanks, Helen. I'm thrilled to use all these skinny strings and the recipient loves it. The best result.

Ann said...

The quilt really seemed to need some kind of border but nothing worked until I thought of this. We started with "low hanging fruit" - old tax records. Generally easy to scan and toss. You might find a smaller goal makes it easier for you, too.
I often wonder how much it would help if everyone was required to vote. It seems it would bring out the large center rather than the radical fringes who are already highly motivated.

Ann said...

Thank you, Sujata. It probably looks better because all that trimming removed darker lights. Tracking the yardage is like tracking calories. I was tired of purchasing when I was out of room to store it. And some of my stuff is really, really old. I hope to talk with you soon!

Ann said...

Yes, it's all the fault of the quilt not the quilter! The tiny border really improved the overall look. I briefly considered adding a wide binding, something I rarely do, but this was much easier. Sometimes the fabric choices from the "bottom of the scrap bag" look so boring but I'm usually surprised how well they work out.

Ann said...

You are too kind, Preeti. Spiral quilting has become my favorite for baby/toddler quilts... now that I hold the sides properly. I have been concerned for years about the low voter turnout and shocked how many well-known people don't vote. Perhaps we need a new rule like Australia that everyone votes or pays a fine. Can you imagine how many more polling places we'd need and how politics would move if fringe groups didn't get outside influence?

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A delightful string star quilt! Your spiral quilting really makes the whole thing spin, very effective!

Ann said...

Thanks, Linda. Spiral quilting is fun these days.

Cathy said...

I like how Big Sister took her gift and right away made it her own and found a lake and fish. (Smile). Who knows how many other stories she will find in her quilt.

I also love your quilt and the spiral quilting. (Smile) Easy quilting, huh??? Maybe for some!

Ann said...

It was such a cute story. I'm glad you enjoyed it, too. Don't we enjoy helping a new generation learn to love quilts!
It took a while to learn it but I've got the hang of the spiral now... as long as the quilt is fairly small. One of my favorite aspects is there's little to no thread burying.

QuiltGranma said...

What a great quilt and story! You are inspiring me to get back into piecing!

Ann said...

I hope you do. Even when they are smaller quilts, they are still fun and it's a joy to pass them to the next generation.

Nancy Fratz said...

We need to remember that many many service men and women have given their lives for our country and for us to be able to vote for the candidate that we choose. My older generation has experienced loss of our friends in Vietnam, and the sons and daughters of some of our friends too young to have served in Vietnam. I wonder about this newer generation and their attitude towards voting-they seem to think it’s a waste of their time, not a privledge. People get the government they deserve-God help us if we don’t realize that this time around.
Gorgeous quilt by the way.

Ann said...

In Australia you are fined if you don't vote. Sometimes I think we need a similar law here. I am shocked by the number of people who haven't ever registered. I think voting thoughtfully is a duty.