Tuesday, March 9, 2021

A Third Hatchet Quilt Gifted

Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful.
~Unknown

Quilting


All the blocks were made and trimmed traditionally but there was no plan for the layout. As last week's post showed, I worked through all the variations I could think of... and ended with this well-regulated arrangement. The value changes were just too great between the yellows and greens otherwise.

The quilting is my usual/common organic lines with a walking foot. I start by SID the main seams, then come back and halve that distance. And then the halving is repeated until the distance looks good or I'm tired of quilting. Simple. And it works.

Yellow and green hatchet quilt

This interesting fabric printed with hexagons has been waiting in my stash for several years. While the aqua is not on the front, the background is yellows, tans, and odd greens that blend well with the front. 

Yellow and green Hatchet quilt with view of back

The mother likes yellow. A lot. This is the last in my stash... although there are more cut squares squirreled away. 


As soon as it was washed the quilt went into the mail to be there for her new son. It arrived just before he did. Good enough.

Quilt Specifics
Size: 38" x 43"
Design: Hatchet
Batting: Mountain Mist Cream Rose cotton
Thread: Metler green cotton thread
Quilting: Walking foot parallel lines
Approximate yardage: 6 yds

Previous post: Choosing the layout.


Reading

This is the first of four Wayfarers books by Becky Chambers who started writing in the evening after her paying gig. When she lost that job she raised money to finish this book on Kickstarter. 

A young human joins the Wayfarer as a clerk. The old ship drills wormholes between distant galaxies and has a multi-species crew. They are asked to drill a new path to a new planet inhabited by a violent species which also has a rich energy source nearby.

This unique story doesn't cover bloody insurrections. Instead it tells backstories of the various crew and their evolving relationships. Very enjoyable and I look forward to the next in this series. {I'm late to the party but I'll space them out a bit.}

Enjoy the day, Ann

22 comments:

EYSchmitt said...

I LOVE your Hatchet quilts and I'm making one soon inspired by your versions! Thank you for the inspiration!

patty a. said...

The quilt turned out beautiful!

Preeti said...

Beautiful finish and as long it arrived before the baby - it is on time!!!

Julierose said...

Lovely finish Ann--love that quilting--functional and beautiful hugs, Julierose

celia ambrose said...

I love how it all turned out! And, the backing is perfect.

Marie said...

So pretty - I think that you aced it with this layout!

Ann said...

What fun it will be to see yours. They are a good way to use chunky scraps and more of those show up daily.

Ann said...

Thanks, Patty.

Ann said...

You make lots of baby quilts for friends, too. We both constantly race the baby, don't we?

Ann said...

Thanks, Julie. I should try more with the Baptist fans but this is very easy for me.

Ann said...

Thanks for writing, Celia. It's a treat to find a good back in the stash, isn't it?

Ann said...

Thanks, Marie. It was a good recovery and a reminder that working with the layout makes huge changes.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A great finish, and on time too! Love the colour combo, and the unusual layout is very eye catching, and it so works!

Nann said...

I like the way the light hatchets float over the dark ones. When you sew the parallel lines do you go top to bottom, cut threads, and start at the top again?

Ann said...

You are so kind, Linda. It's good to have colors the recipient likes, better to figure out a way to set things, even better to move the older stash out, and best to beat the baby race. Just when I was about to give up.

Ann said...

Yes. The binding isn't on so I go from edge to edge and trim the threads with the straightening cut before the binding. I start at the middle and work my way out to one side then rotate to do the other side. It's just easier to have less under the throat.

audrey said...

Your quilting lines look excellent with this particular quilt! This is such a pleasing quilt and the backing looks lovely with it! Great job on another fun finish.:)

ButterZ said...

I love the idea of this quilting style...

Kaja said...

I especially like the way the pale blocks look like they are floating above the green ones. This is just the right mixture of functional and beautiful for my taste.

Ann said...

Thanks, Audrey. It's such an easy way to quilt and seems to last well for baby quilts.

Ann said...

Thanks. The design is quite easy and strong.

Ann said...

Thanks, Kaja. I'm running out of yellows and greens. Can you believe? They didn't blend like a colorwash but this layout was a good recovery. I certainly like the wearable nature of the fabrics - like your clothing fabrics.