Tuesday, December 28, 2021

2021 Quilt Review

If the only prayer you ever say is, "Thank you," that will be enough.
~Eckhart Toile

Quilting Review 2021


Personal matters still occupy most of my attention but there was time this weekend to pull this post together. I'm not doing anything new but I occasionally read some of your posts. They are welcome reminders! Hopefully I will be back by summer. We'll see.

Staying home again this year gave me the time to finish several long term projects. DH is delighted his Giants baseball quilt was finished in time for the playoffs. What fun to watch the games under it.

SF Giants baseball quilt

And the back... because you might forget what Giants fans we are. ;-) Two-sided quilts more than double the fun. I've made a few but need to figure out how to make more.

SF Giants baseball quilt back

What a delight to see the Shadow Star quilt  on our bed {where the applique shows up nicely}

Shadow Star quilt

and the Wheel quilt in the guest room. 

Wheel quilt

I quilted the baseball quilt on my domestic machine {hey, it's smaller} but sent the two behemoths to my friend, Peg Collins. What beautiful work she does.

The rest of the year focused on clearing my excessive stash by making  kawandi placemats and baby quilts. 

Kawandi placemat

As usual there were several styles of baby quilts. When I get a new idea I like to reprise it. Small changes help me explore the usually easy designs. It's a way of slowing down even when I make several during the year.

This time, there were Hatchets

Hatchet 4 quilt in blue

and Hourglasses

Red and yellow Hourglass quilt

and Crosses

Cross quilt 3

and more Scrappy Trips/ Postage Stamp quilts

Scrappy Trip in green

and Strings

String Tulip 3 quilt

along with a new style. Is it Coins or Strings or simply a scrap quilt?

LOVE baby quilt

Reading


Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer is a joyfully meditative series of reflections on the natural world blending her Potawatomi heritage with her botany degree. In addition to looking at plants with scientific tools and questions, she also acknowledges them as our oldest teachers. There is much to consider in this book, not the least is viewing the abundance of nature as a gift to be treasured and reciprocated rather than a resource to be collected and hoarded. It's an excellent example of the importance of listening to multiple viewpoints.

Wishing us all a safer and more constructive world in 2022.

Enjoy the day, Ann

No comments: