Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Goodbye to Dutchman's Puzzle

It is not happy people who are thankful. It is thankful people who are happy.
~unknown

Quilting


Things move in fits and starts here. A couple of events have been postponed so I may be out longer than I originally planned. As time permits I'll try to post here but still have the comments off. Sorry.

One of my great-aunts made this Dutchman's Puzzle quilt top. I always loved the Dutch blue polished cotton counterpane blocks and saw it every day because my mother used it as a table topper by the reading chair just outside my room. 

I'm not sure who caused the red stain on the side but admit I laid my scissors on it until I poked a hole in one of the blue blocks.

As we got ready to move I checked it carefully. Although it's not visible in this photo, many of the triangles are shredding. 

Dutchman's Puzzle quilt top circa 1930

I called my sister, took photos, and donated it. Perhaps someone will find something to do with it.

Quilt Specifics
Size: 81" x 81"
Design: Dutchman's Puzzle top
Made by one of my Great-Aunts 
Year: ~1930s

Reading

The Music Shop has been on my list for a while and I finally took the time to read it. Rachel Joyce has an eye for misfits and a deep joy in discovering the best of us when we work together. On Unity Street a group of misfits and outsiders find common ground when the woman in the green coat faints outside Frank's record store where he uses music as therapy for his customers. 

The storyline is good but the way Rachel weaves her knowledge of composers and musicians into the story elevates it to a captivating tale.

Enjoy the day, Ann








No comments: