Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Green Diagonal String Quilt

News media and public health initiatives target these moms to tell them it is their responsibility to protect their kids from an unsafe, risky, and contaminated food industry that puts artificial dye in crackers, infuses arsenic into baby food, and keeps kid's palates from developing by packing children's menus with cheeseburgers and French fries. Interestingly, moms today get the message that it is their job to safeguard their kids, not that it's the state's responsibility to regulate and monitor industry practices.
~Priya Fielding Singh

Quilting

Finished. How different the quilt looks  photographed from this direction rather than last time's. 

Green Diagonal String baby quilt

A remnant of green print made the best binding. Dark enough to create a border and close enough to the other green shades to blend in. 

Detail of Green Diagonal String baby quilt

My sister {of course} sent this owl panel as a joke. She has collected owls for me since college and that was more years ago than I'm admitting here. It wasn't quite wide enough so I bordered the sides with a blue print. 

Back of Green Diagonal String baby quilt

These three quilts used a significant amount of my scraps but there's still a couple of bags. I'll think about what to do with them while I evaluate the values. 

Quilt Specifics
Size: 44" x 44"
Design: String quilt
Batting: Hobbs Heirloom Premium Natural Cotton
Thread: Superior green cotton thread
Quilting: Spiral  with walking foot
Approximate yardage: 6.5 yds

FUR (Fabric Use Rate)

I used 6.5 yards this month and 59 yards this year.

Reading


Sociologist Priya Fielding-Singh expanded her doctoral thesis on family food access in this book. She includes stories of four families who gave her in depth access to their lives as well as information from other families across the Bay Area. It is one of the most privileged regions in the country but limiting the geography to a single area made the comparisons in her study more accurate. This book is an enlightening view of how finances affect food choices when all families want the best and healthiest life for their children.

Enjoy the day, Ann

13 comments:

Julierose said...

The binding on your Green Diagonal string piece looks great!! That is really a lovely one!! Hugs, julierose

patty a. said...

The quilt turned out so pretty and that binding is perfect! I haven't touched my scraps except to pull a few vintage ones for the 4-patch quilt. I could not begin to guess how many quilts I could make from just my scraps!

Ann said...

Thanks, Julie Rose. That fabric had large leaves on it - perhaps philodendron?

Ann said...

It's so hard to use both stash and scraps. I had to use these because my scrap bag was overflowing. The last time I used all the scraps, I made many more quilts than I thought possible. OTOH, Wanda plans for her scraps to be in her estate sale and uses her stash. That may be the smarter solution. Who knows.

Nann said...

What a great way to use the owl panel! I just learned that there's a new thing: Nyquil Chicken, as in cooking the chicken in the medicine. The FDA and Procter & Gamble have issued statements warning against it. [Harmful to one's health as well as a waste of both the meat and the meds.]

Quilting Babcia said...

Every time you post one of your string quilts I'm inspired to start another one or three, the scrap piles could probably support at least ten! Your greens and blues meld so beautifully together. The backing is a perfect surprise element.

Ann said...

That made the news here, too. It's frightening that people believe anything they see instead of using common sense but I guess we're becoming accustomed to believing strangers with all those recommendations on Yelp etc. Sometimes I'm glad I don't spend much time with social media. Blogger is really the only site I follow and even here, I'm wary.

Ann said...

Yes, my scrap piles get out of whack so quickly. I'm finding I like sorting them by value like this. It's fun to see what comes of it. And they are all fabrics I've used earlier so they usually go together. Start some of your own. They make fairly quick, easy gifts.

Preeti said...

Subdued Sweetness! Perfect green binding and a super fun backing. You make it come together - magically, every time.

Ann said...

You are so kind, Preeti. Don't we have fun playing with fabric!

Mystic Quilter said...

I love the colours in this baby quilt Ann, just beautiful and relaxing, I can imagine a little one tucked up under this, then when a little older the backing will give hours of fun.

Ann said...

I hadn't thought about the backing working when the baby is older. What a good suggestion to pass along to the parents. Thanks, Maureen.

audrey said...

This has the look and feel of a very serene quilt! And the binding really is perfect. I love when the stars collide like that.:)