Tuesday, October 25, 2022

What I Found in the Leftover Bin

'America was built on inefficiency.' ...The price for efficiency was paid by the bookstore, the hardware store, the sporting goods store that closed on... main streets all over America. These stores had helped to build their towns. But, compared to Amazon, they were all inefficient.
~Brian Alexander, The Hospital

Quilting


Do you recognize these blocks? There are leftovers from three different quilts. The center, of course, are the absolute last of The Square Deal blocks. Intellectually I wanted to do something else with these blocks. They were going to be a border until I pulled the second set of blocks. Those were the row from the first attempt of Optical Illusion. Now the first set must be the center {again} and I couldn't find an arrangement I liked better. 

The four photos below highlight some of the ways I laid them out. While there's a little wonkiness because they aren't sewed together, most of the serration comes from the four different lengths of the Illusion {border} blocks. 

Four possible border layouts

In the end this was my favorite choice. Opposite sides have the same block lengths - long on top and bottom and short on the sides. Two medium-length blocks turn each corner. And the square blocks in the corner? Those are the last four blocks from our #AHIQStringTulipQAL. How's that for using it all up?

You can also see in the first photo some of the fabrics I considered to make the center cross but in the end chose a blue and white stripe. It's a whole yard so it was difficult to cut into it and use less than half. 

Square Deal 3 with final border arrangement

Quilters build supplies over time. Whether stash or scraps, we are always attracted to beautiful fabrics and simply must keep them around. Additionally, many of us keep sample and extra blocks from previous projects. {Sometimes I think the smart quilters donate all this stuff.} I save/collect all three of these categories but I have less patience with the crowding they create in my sewing areas. Hence, my constant efforts to sew them up and move them out. What do you save and how do you use it? Or do you? Do your savings inspire you or weigh on you?

FUR (Fabric Use Rate)

No finished quilts this month so it's still 59 yards this year.

Reading

This pair of books is an interesting commentary on current medical care in the US. The Emergency written by Thomas Fisher, MD, recounts the difficulties of care and paucity of resources in poor sections of Chicago while The Hospital by Brian Alexander reprises similar problems is a rural Ohio town.  Personally, I think undermining the Affordable Care Act shows tremendous lack of concern for all Americans. We are not living in the 18th century and every person deserves some level of health care. If we don't provide it collectively, we will never be able to afford it individually. Both books could start conversations about our future as human beings. 

Enjoy the day, Ann

22 comments:

Nann said...

It's good to read your post, Ann The leftovers have turned into a mighty satisfying concoction. I like the way the red/orange triangles punctuate the design. I enjoyed Brian Alexander's Glass House (about Lancaster, OH) and I will look at this book about hospitals.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohhhh Your leftover quilt is wonderful!!!! I love that way you set it and the way the color moves around it!!!

patty a. said...

Square Deal 3 is fabulous! You have a real knack of putting together odds and ends to make wonderful quilts! I save leftover blocks and do I ever have scraps. I had planned on trying to make a dent in my scraps this year. I did ok the first couple months and got 5 small scrap quilts made, but then got into finishing quilts on my to do list and other things. It all just takes time.

Julierose said...

I like your final choice!! This is a lovely use of leftovers--nice work hugs, julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a great use of your 2 sets of leftovers. I have boxes with orphan blocks, divided by batik, regular fabric, and Kaffe fabric. The batik box is bulging even though I made one orphan quilt from them already. I have thought about getting rid of some of them but on the other hand I love getting them out and playing with them too.

Ann said...

I haven't seen Brian's earlier book but I will look for it. This was interesting because he started looking at a small town hospital and got sideswiped by Covid and a legal case.

Ann said...

Thanks, Alycia. It turned out better than expected.

Ann said...

We have so much stuff, don't we, Patty! Your work on your house amazes me. I don't know how you get quilts made on top of that. My scrap use goes in spurts, too, although it helps that I have one single small-ish bag. When that is overflowing I know it's time to whittle it down. I've really tried to use all the leftovers, UFOs, scraps, etc, these last few years. It helps that I have people to gift them to.

Ann said...

Thanks, Julierose. We both seem to be busy using up what's lying around. Your solutions have been great.

Ann said...

Yes. Quilters take any opportunity to fondle fabric. I saw an article years ago where someone put a bunch of disparate blocks together and overdyed it with some tan/beige. It made all the colors blend together better but looked very "reproduction." Probably wouldn't work with batiks.
OTOH, I admire your plan to use the good stuff and leave the scraps and leftovers for the estate sale. No one will like the fabric more than we do ourselves.

Pamela said...

What a great use of the leftover blocks! Gorgeous!

Nancy said...

There are so many things to love about this quilt: the colors, the blocks, the arrangement of the blocks--especially using the orange/coral HSTs in the center of each quadrant, the blue stripe for the sashing. A fabulous quilt!

Ann said...

Thanks, Pamela. Finding the blocks already made meant it was a quick sew.

Ann said...

How kind of you to write, Nancy. I was delighted these blocks from different projects went together so well. Even using some new fabrics for the sashing.

audrey said...

I am really enjoying the pieced lighter patches. Gives the quilt a lovely sense of depth.:) Lovely, lovely quilt top!

Mystic Quilter said...

I didn't recognise the blocks from Optical Illusion at first but they are quite magical as the border around your stunning Square Deal blocks - which I love!! What is the finished size? On the subject of supplies, fabrics and scraps, I have recently donated three huge bags of scraps, I found it too daunting a task to sort through them! I tend to keep leftover blocks from projects, have done for a few years but sadly they are still languishing in a box in the closet - must made a decision on these pretty soon.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Super way to use those leftovers. I've got a drawer full of blocks, things that didn't make it past the starting line, just waiting for inspiration ot strike!

Preeti said...

The red hot triangles shine on a blue-green background. You cannot go wrong with them, whatever the layout. On the other hand, these unexpected finds in ziplock bags are the reason I avoid cleaning/tidying :-D Darn these squirrels!!! They are too adorable to ignore and having been out of sight for a while and then reappearing just gives you too many ideas :-O

Ann said...

Thanks, Audrey. Computer issues meant I couldn't reply to comments for a while.

Ann said...

Thanks, Maureen. That mix of reds and blues makes Square Deal one of my all time favorites. Color is more important than design to me. Finding these work together was a special treat. The top is currently 44 or 48" but may get larger as you see from the next post. (Sorry. Comments won't "take" on my ipad.)
It's funny how we each handle our scraps. I would say I like my stash best but head to the scraps first every time I start a quilt. Most people like you go for the fabric and the results are so lovely. I wish I could toss scraps (and I do toss the tiny ones. No Scrap Vortex for me. Whenever I try that, it's just a mess.) I also have several much older leftovers hanging around and really should donate those. They are pretty but also pretty dated. And... I'll probably leave them for my heirs to deal with. Ha.

Ann said...

I have more (and older) leftover blocks, too. I should donate them since they just look dated but they will probably still be there when my heirs go through this stuff. Then they'll get recycled. Ha.

Ann said...

Those blocks weren't anything special until I set them in the Square Deal form. Then they started to "shine" as you wrote. This is the third (and last) time I've arranged a center from them but they always look fabulous. I'm not sure another set would look as good... if I ever make Square Deal again.
Yes! I can't throw the blocks away but can hide them for a while. Then they jump out and take over. While there are absolutely no more of these specific blocks, there are several other (much older) sets. I just close my eyes. Sigh.