Tuesday, November 8, 2022

More Leftovers

You learn to speak by speaking, to study by studying, to run by running, to work by working; in just the same way, you learn to love by loving.
~Anatole France

Quilting


Who remembers these Quilty365 blocks from Audrey? They're from 2015. Oh, my goodness. I started but didn't make it a year before my fingers complained vigorously. After laying these out, I found another baggie stuffed with blocks. 

Originally I planned to set them something like this straight set but it occurs to me...

Quilty365 blocks 

these could be another border on my Leftovers quilt. It would push the quilt to lap size. That would be useful after a year of baby quilts. The colors work; however, the circles don't relate to the triangles. Hmm. What can I do?

Leftover quilt with a partial Quilty365 border

If my new plan doesn't work, I can always make the original ideas of both. Did you notice I incorporated the last of the blue and white stripe into an outer border {just before the circles?} Even a tiny round like that brightens the quilt. Previously the zigzags in the outer border made the whole quilt darker… but darker may be better. We’ll see. 

Reading

Somehow the book Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris came up as a suggestion by my library. It was written in the 60s. I frequently ignore unsolicited suggestions but the description interested me. Charwoman Mrs. Harris sees a Dior gown at the home of one of clients and decides she must have one herself. Later I discovered it's currently a movie. Even later I found this it was previously made into a movie starring Angela Lansbury. The book is much better than the movie although the scenes and frocks are charming. 

Enjoy the day, Ann

8 comments:

patty a. said...

I like the circle blocks in the border. The colors relate back to the triangles. I think it would be a very fun quilt.

Julierose said...

I did the circle thing too--my daughter just loved it so I gifted it to her...
it is a fun slow project no pressure...I like that your circle is free form...
hugs, julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I was thinking the same thing as patty a. The colors relate and it is scrappy just like the center. I like them as a border.

Ann said...

Thanks, Patty. When I think about it, most of the circle blocks came from leftovers about the time I was working on the first triangles. It would be good to mash them all together and move them out.

Ann said...

I've seen so many pretty quilts others have made with this type of circle. Some in major shows. Until then I would never have thought a block this simple would make such a lovely quilt. Sometimes my imagination is off.
How delightful that your daughter loved it. So much more fun when they really get excited about one of our quilts. You know what I mean - they like them all because we trained our kids so well but still, we all have slightly different esthetics.

Ann said...

Thanks, Wanda. As I consider, the circles were made about when I worked on the first Square Deal so they probably have many fabrics in common. I like the thought of moving them all out in one fell swoop.

Mystic Quilter said...

Everything here works so well together, that it's made from leftovers is a bonus. I do remember folk making a start on the circle 'projects' and thought I should like to make one, never did but inspired to do so after seeing your and linking back to Audrey's.

Kaja said...

I saw a lovely version of Mrs Harris during lockdown, livestreaming from a theatre. Using the circles as a big border is a clever idea - they relate well in terms of colour, as Patty and Wanda have said already, and I like the make-do approach too.