Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Four Sets of Leftovers

We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.
~Abraham Lincoln

Quilting


Last time I left off with a disconnected border of circles on the angular center. No way am I sewing more circles but what if I added a row of smaller triangles? Because I've used all of these values in my stash, I purchased more reds and some lighter colors for these new little blocks although a few are tiny scraps - leftovers of leftovers. 

Border idea for Square Deal 3 quilt

The first photo didn't get me excited and I almost chose to simply make two toddler quilts but more thinking made me consider the light circles look "weak" against the strong center. 

Expanded border idea for Square Deal 3 quilt

I pulled the darker/stronger circles for a second attempt and like it better. Obviously sewing is slow going here but I'm inspired to continue with this plan.

FUR (Fabric Use Rate)

No finished quilts this month either so it's still 59 yards this year.

Reading



Hurricane Katrina destroyed 150 miles of the American Gulf coast but the aftermath compounded the disaster with levee failures as well as government mismanagement. In fact, the actions {and political parties} of local government officials caused tremendous differences in recovery. History professor Douglas Brinkley writes about the catastrophe, survivors, and heroes in The Great Deluge. Reading it so many years later reminds me of many response changes from staging locations to the Cajun Navy {a group of volunteers with boats} to allowing pets in rescue operations. 

Commenting 

has become difficult lately. I have trouble posting on some of your blogs and even commenting on my own. Hopefully these disruptions will be resolved soon. Sorry if I've missed responding to anyone and know that I am reading your blogs even when I can't comment on them.

Happy Thanksgiving. 

Enjoy the day, Ann

9 comments:

Julierose said...

Happy thanksgiving, Ann!! I don't know what is going on with blogger--again!!
Your quilt is coming together nicely...hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

Those little triangle blocks with the reds do bring the whole top together. They are very cute.

Nann said...

I'm not sure that the yellow border works. How many triangles do you want to make? You could have red triangles-circles-circles-red triangles. (Maybe.)

Ann said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Julierose. I just switched my comments from embedded to popup. We'll see how this works.

Ann said...

Hi, Patty. I changed the comments from embedded to popup and I can write here but it's not threaded to your original comment. More work ahead.
There's lots of the new red and blue to make more triangles. I like them, too.

Ann said...

Nann, the yellow border is the same fabric on the zigzag border but I agree with you that it looks odd. OTOH it's needed to infill the border so I may keep it and let it look funny. I'm thinking about more triangles. In between Thanksgiving cooking and Christmas prepping... such as they are.

audrey said...

I really like the scrappy hsts with the circles as the next round. So fun looking! You're right, the second try is a stronger look. Am so curious to see how this comes together!:)

Mystic Quilter said...

The expanded border changes the whole feel of this quilt, the darker circles couldn't be bettered I think, perfect with the red triangles. Hope you do continue on with this border design Ann. Wishing you and family a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Kaja said...

You are right about the circles: the second picture, without the lighter ones, looks much better. I love the sharp little red triangles too. It's a busy time of year, so fingers crossed you can find the time to keep this ticking over.