Tuesday, December 20, 2022

2022 Quilt Review

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. 
~Abraham Lincoln

Quilting Review 2022


Why did I think life would be easier once the children were grown? Between helping family and aging, DH and I have had a busy year.  My sister sent me a birthday card once that said something like, "We love to mind business, mostly each others'." And I am fortunate to have such a close, loving family... even when they are in my business. {It's entirely different if I get into their business.}

Since we moved to the tropical south full-time, we have little need for more large quilts. Actually little need for quilts but my soul needs them. So most of my efforts this year were baby quilts. 

Looking back at 2022, I mades groups of quilts {in that never-ending effort to use up the scraps.}

Four-letter quilts


and string quilts. This one was the completion of the #AHIQPalette challenge. Only a month late. 

Blanca Peak Sunrise baby quilt

I used several sets of leftovers to make a lap quilt {that's still not quilted}. Although it used many blocks in my leftover stack, there are a least two more sets of blocks that have never been sewn into a quilt. Projects for the coming year. 

An Optical Illusion quilt has been on my list for decades and finally was completed this year. 

Optical Illusion baby quilt

Hopefully some wall quilts will get finished next year. I pulled out my sketchbook recently and have been delighted to find so many ideas. Now to get busy with them. 

Although I haven't commented as frequently as usual, I've read most of your posts and enjoyed my visits into your sewing spaces. Thanks for opening your personal space to us. 

FUR (Fabric Use Rate)

Again, no finished quilts in December. 59 yards for 2022.

Happy New Year! 

Enjoy the holidays, Ann

8 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Merry Christmas, Ann. Here's to the coming year and even more adventures for all of us.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

People who work with fiber are the happiest and healthiest. A study a few years ago came to that conclusion. It doesn't matter what size the quilt is, just that we are still making, discovering and enjoying the process.
Merry Christmas!
I always enjoy reading your blog even though I don't always comment.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Merry Christmas to you too Ann. I've flucuated with my sewing this year, like many I think. Here's to the coming year...

patty a. said...

The word quilts are a favorite of mine that you made. So fun! You had a good year making quilts. Babies always need a quilt! Have a safe and happy holiday season.

Nann said...

I missed the story of the optical illusion--very intriguing! You exercised tremendous restraint in your fabric acquisition this year.

Kaja said...

This seems like a good year's work, well done! I admire how you have stuck to your decision to clear the decks a bit and it has still resulted in some excellent quilts. I think, like you, I would have to quilt even if no quilts were required.

Mystic Quilter said...

Ann, you have created wonderful pieces this year for us to enjoy, the Letter quilts have been so fun to see, your AHIQ challenge quilts - especially Bianca Peak - are always enjoyed - my Challenge projects have been non-existent this year due to the accidents - I hope for better things next year!

Preeti said...

Oh Ann, that Optical Illusion quilt has morphed into a squirrel and is trying to jump into my studio (the idea of it, at least). Thank you for sharing your creative pursuits and your book suggestions too. Have an awesome 2023. I will be dropping by often, as you know :-)