Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Going in Circles Slowly

Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the sky and he'll believe you. 
Tell him that a bench has wet paint on it and he has to touch it to be sure.
~unknown

Quilting


The plan was to have the quilting finished by now but instead caught a cold and spent a few days in bed. So I'm still circling. A large lap quilt instead of a baby quilt takes more time, too. The spiraling circle is complete; I'm filling in the four corners now. Progress.


Clear cherry reds may be my favorite color. Too bad it's headed to a new home. I need to make a red and white quilt for myself. Hmm. Wasn't the plan to make some quilts for myself?

Reading

My book club chose An American Quilt for our first discussion this year. One reason I enjoy the group is that we read non-fiction. I expected it to be either a history of quilting or a story detailing the construction of a specific quilt. Instead, Rachel May uses her discovery of a hexagon medallion quilt to research the lives of the enslaved people owned by the family. Finding the wife was from Rhode Island, her own home state, she digs further into the triangle trade that implicates many from the northern states in the expansion of slavery. Definitely worth the time to read. 

Happy Valentine's Day.
Enjoy the day, Ann

6 comments:

Nann said...

Hope you're feeling better. (Funny how "just a cold" has a new meaning in this post-pandemic time.) I can't remember how I learned about Rachel May's books but I enjoyed it very much. She's also written a quilt design book about modern quilting.

patty a. said...

Happy Valentine's Day! Sorry to hear you were under the weather for a few days. I'm glad you are starting to feel better. I have always wanted to make a red and yellow quilt for myself - so far it hasn't happened! LOL!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Glad you took the time to go to bed with the cold - rest seems to be one of the most helpful remedies this year. We've been sick off and on since Thanksgiving! Please DO indulge yourself by making a red and white quilt for yourself!

Kaja said...

I hope you are feeling better now. You have made so many quilts for other people; you definitely deserve to make one to keep! Your book sounds really interesting. I think I'll look out for a copy.

Pamela said...

What a pretty quilt! The book sounds like one I’d be interested in.

Preeti said...

I hope you are on the mend. Red is a gorgeous color and definitely needs white to bring out the beauty. Spiral quilting can be challenging because it tends to flatten as we move away from the center. Ask me how I know :-) If we are not too particular about that bit, it makes a lovely quilt. I am listening to Yellow Wife by Sadeqa Johnson. It is intense and gut wrenching. Hope I can listen to the end. Sometimes I just cannot.