Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Woo Pig Sooie Quilt

Life is about that little space between what's over and what's next.
~Norman Lear

Quilting


Like Audrey and several other people, I caught a heck of a cold and have been mostly out of commission for several weeks. Occasionally I manage some quilting time but quickly head back to bed. This silly illness wiped me out. I'm even eating canned soup!

However, my older son's lap quilt is finally a wrap. Red and white are one of my favorite combinations. {I need to make one of my own even though these aren't my college colors.} When it's open and flat like this photo, the phrase is visible. But when he wraps in it the design metamorphoses into ambiguity. Then it becomes a play in red and white. When I first started these word quilts, the letters were set on four light solids but limiting the choices to two solids improves the way the letters wink in and out. I'm immensely pleased with the effect. 

Woo Pig Sooie quilt

Spiral quilting again. This is about the largest quilt I can make with a spiral. Not much more will fit under the harp. I find the design easy now that I've made so many. These days, I'm all for simplicity. Perhaps I will get back to FMQ but not now. No energy and no interest either; I just can't figure out why. My rows are {sort of} parallel. They aren't perfect but you'll never notice. 

Woo Pig Sooie spiral quilting detail

The inner border is fabric purchased several years ago for binding. It looks good here. And it's out of my stash. This is a better use than letting it age in place. 

Woo Pig Sooie quilt - folded to show back and binding

I bought the backing fabric last week because I'm completely out of red... and some other colors, too. There was enough extra to add another border to the quilt. An old "Olivia the Pig" print binds it. I planned to use it for the back until I read underneath each pig. "Worn Out!" Probably not the best choice for a college sports team motto. No one will notice the phrase in the binding as long as you don't tell.

Quilt Specifics
Size: 74" x 74"
Design: String quilt
Batting: Mountain Mist Cream RoseCotton
Thread: Superior red cotton thread
Quilting: Spiral with walking foot
Approximate yardage: 12 yds

Reading

Entangled Life by Merlin Sheldrake looks at our current understanding of fungi. Eight chapters cover various aspects: from yeast to psychedelics, symbiosis with bacteria and algae to parasitism of ants. I'd previously read a bit about fungi connecting plant roots such as aspen groves but found Merlin's version very entertaining. His analogies entertain as well as explain areas of new research which include the beginnings of life on earth. 

Enjoy the day, Ann

6 comments:

patty a. said...

The quilt turned out fabulous! I did not realize how big it was until I read your caption after the last picture. The Olivia fabric is so fun and more than likely no one will ever see the worn out. I am glad to hear you are recovering from your cold. Colds are so strange; they can last a few days or a month and just drag on. I hope you are back to your old self soon!

Julierose said...

Neat red and white quilt finish!!
Sorry about your cold--I am still fighting these covid remnants--still not back to normal--no sewing going on here...hope you get better soon hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

I hear you loud and clear on this - "I find the design easy now that I've made so many. These days, I'm all for simplicity. Perhaps I will get back to FMQ but not now. No energy and no interest either; I just can't figure out why." I love my all over spiral fans - they give great even coverage, they're meditative to stitch, and my muscle memory is strong since I've used them on lots of quilts. I think much of the reason "why" more intense FMQ is no longer interesting is that I'm finally comfortable in that I no longer need to "prove myself" in that department. Perhaps that is much the same for you? Your WooPigSooie quilt is terrific!

audrey said...

This is one of the best red and white quilts that I've seen in a long time! I really, really like the precision of where you placed the solid fabrics. Works so well! It's obvious that you worked hard to make sure the letters stood out and can be easily read. Great job! I'm sure this will be well loved for years.:)

Robin said...

This is just a cute fun quilt. And it will make a great conversation starter each time it is used.
So sorry you have been sick. Whatever the virus is. . . it's a bad one.

Mystic Quilter said...

Congratulations on finishing up Woo Pig Sooie even whilst being unwell, seems like lots of people are dealing with these long, long cases of colds and they really do drain all the energy from the mind and body. Hope you're back to 100% pretty soon. "All for simplicity" - I'm with you on that!