Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Bordering the Waves

To be happy at home is the ultimate result of all ambition; 
the end to which every enterprise and labour tends.
~Samuel Johnson

Quilting


Is it just me or is anyone else having difficulty adding photos to their posts? I've sent messages to Google but have yet to see an improvement. Eventually I got two photos added; don't ask me how. 

The border idea worked. One light and one dark unit make a four-patch of triangles. {Look back here to see the basic units.} Groups of four-patches formed this border. 


Adding them only to the top and bottom made the quilt slightly rectangular. Since this quilt has become fairly large, that's a good outcome.

The last of this Kona red made a border around all sides. 


As I mentioned, the quilt has gotten pretty large. Just the OW blocks made it 85-inches square.  Nevertheless, DH and I will be very happy with this old-fashioned quilt at home.

Reading

It's too hard to try to add book cover photos but I finished two books recently. First was The Spare Man by Mary Robinette Kowal. Her delightful Lady Astronaut series made me eager to read this new book modeled loosely on The Thin Man. A rich woman marries a detective; they are blissfully happy with a dog (who in this case is her service animal.) While on their honeymoon (a cruise from the moon to Mars) they become embroiled in a murder.  The setting was inventive as well as the Thin Man reprise but it's not my favorite book. Hopefully things will improve through the series.

Next I re-read The Pelican Brief by John Grisham because we watched the movie again one evening and I wanted to compare them. Oddly, I like the movie better; the plot is tighter. Fewer people fell in love with Darby (Julia Roberts) and the behavior of evil oil magnate Victor Mattiece was more believable.

Enjoy the day, Ann

7 comments:

patty a. said...

The border looks great! Good job!

audrey said...

Yes, perfect idea to put the rest of the red all the way around the quilt. What a lovely look and feel to this top! Probably feels good to get the top finished up and know that you made good use of these blocks.:)

Quiltdivajulie said...

I've long thought about making an ocean waves and seeing your wonderful version has me contemplating possibilities once again.

Rebecca in AK said...

Just beautiful! The red you chose I’d the perfect color. Great idea for the borders.

Preeti said...

I listen (not read) to audiobooks. Taking a screenshot and sharing that picture is how I would do it. I feel the same way about "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" The film was better. Have you read the book or watched the movie? Have a great Sunday!

Kaja said...

I really like this border and the way it floats against the red. You have made excellent use of your leftovers!

Robin said...

Your Ocean Waves quilt is a true beauty with all that red. I love it!