Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Choosing a Back for Ocean Waves

The trouble with blaming the powerless is that although it's not nearly as scary as blaming the powerful, it does miss the point. Poor people do not shut down factories... Poor people didn't decide to use 'contract employees' because they cost less and don't get any benefits.
~Molly Ivins

Quilting


As I've repeated ad nauseam, the point is to use up more of my ancient stash... especially larger yardages. There's about four yards of this darling owl print which I purchased because it's my college mascot. Fortunately, it's also DH's mascot so it's going on the back of the Ocean Waves quilt. The white Xs on black fill out the rest, 


The layers are ready but I still can't get many photos to load here. Sorry. Pinning is the next step but since it’s summer, I’ve been visiting and hosting family. Time enough for that step when it quiets down. It’s more fun to enjoy in-person visits again. Hooray. 

Reading

There's a new book called Marple of short stories using Agatha Christie's characters. They are all good but some are better than others (of course.) They were good afternoon reads, perfect for down-time when visiting.

Enjoy the day, Ann

5 comments:

patty a. said...

The owl fabric is beautiful and looks great with the X fabric!

Nann said...

At first I thought Temple, then I remembered Rice. (Are there any other colleges that have an owl mascot?) Both prints will be a great counter for the colorful triangles and the "red sea" of the quilt.

Quiltdivajulie said...

How nice to have backing that you both like for a quilt that will be living at your house! The owls are so much fun to look at - I'm guessing that might have been one of the fabrics designed so people could color them (or at least look like they could). I llke the black and white version.

Kaja said...

I thought, like Julie, that the owl fabric is begging to be coloured in. It will make an excellent partner for the cross family. I like how the colours match but the styles are so different.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Great combo for your backing. So good to be using up the older stash. Enjoy your family times.